Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never had a mini-van, SUV or CUV before so this CR-V I now have is a first. Anyway, is it a truck or a car? My insurance company and vehicle registrations classifies it as a truck.
So, the question is, when I buy my winter tires, do I buy truck tires?
SUV's are bigger and heavier and may be built on truck chassis. Trucks are, of course, trucks. There are tires for tucks and I have seen advertisements for SUV tires too. Both more expensive than car tires.
The CR-V is considered a CUV and is it a car or truck? Can I use car tires for it?

·
Registered
49 Posts
tires should be based on the load capacity of the vehicle..the cr-v can use car tires.. look at the new consumers report magazine..it has snow tires and all season tire ratings.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Never had a mini-van, SUV or CUV before so this CR-V I now have is a first. Anyway, is it a truck or a car? My insurance company and vehicle registrations classifies it as a truck.
So, the question is, when I buy my winter tires, do I buy truck tires?
SUV's are bigger and heavier and may be built on truck chassis. Trucks are, of course, trucks. There are tires for tucks and I have seen advertisements for SUV tires too. Both more expensive than car tires.
The CR-V is considered a CUV and is it a car or truck? Can I use car tires for it?
Classification of a vehicle like a CR-V varies with what state you live in. It is certainly NOT a truck even if some states might technically classify it as one. It its, after all, built on a Civic platform and I don't think any right minded person would call a Civic a truck or a suitable platform for a truck.

As for tires, look on the inside of the driver's door and there will be a sticker that gives you a recommended rating for tires. There are many ratings on tires and each one gives you information about the tire, its speed rating, its size, and its weight rating.

Read all about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
You need to pay close attention to the mathematical diameter of the factory stock tire. Replacement tires should the same diameter as factory stock or very close. The tire size numbers on the side wall usually start with the letter "P" for passenger car or "LT" for light truck. Stay at, or very close to the original tire diameter.

235 X .60 = 141 X 2 = 282 / 25.4 = 11.10 + 18 = 29.10" diameter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You may be lucky your state classifies the CR-V as a truck because several give agricultural interests a break on taxes & tags.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts