Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can’t anyone recommend an aftermarket trunk mat for the 2017+ CR-V that doesn’t shift under heavy cargo? The OEM trunk mat I have keeps sliding around when something heavy is on it. I’d rather not have to install Velcro underneath of it.

Ive been looking at the WeatherTech trunk mat, as I have their mats for the front & have been really happy with them.

Anyone have any input on this?

·
Registered
361 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
OEM floor mats also shift around some too. Honda can and should do better with their floor mats and cargo mats in my view.

Personally, I have had great success with MaxTray products. Fits well, and does NOT slide around at all. Mine is almost 3 years old now and still in great condition, so they do wear well.. as long as you do not drag heavy objects with sharp corners across them (common sense applies here :) ). The only minor challenge is they ship rolled in a box so you have to unpack them and leave them in the sun for a day or so to let them flatten and fall fully into shape and also out-gas any residual odors (though I have to say MaxTrays are almost odorless right out of the box). They are less expensive than WeatherTech (which in my view is over priced for what you receive), and I have had no issues at all with the one in my 2017 CRV or my wifes 2018 Accord. Amazon.com: MAXLINER All Weather Cargo Liner Floor Mat Black for 2017-2018 Honda CR-V - Factory Cargo Deck in Lower Position: Automotive

WeatherTech I think charges a premium because of their brand recognition, which not a knock on them, they do make good products.. I just feel they are taking advantage of buyers when there is plenty of good and reputable competition in the market. Note: There are also some cheap quality foreign products too.. so you have to review the reviews carefully and steer clear of drop ship items from no-name brands out of China. Stick with one of the reputable brands in the US market.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Where is the MaxTray product manufactured? Is it a manufactured in USA product?
Yeah.. the company started out as MaxLiner, and has rebranded their name recently to Smartliner..... so brand naming AND product naming can get a bit confusing with them. For example, when I bought my cargo liner, it was called a MaxTray by Maxliner. Happily, Amazon keeps all that sorted out in their merchant listings as naming changes.

They are a division of Kramer Accessories and are a solid company, Florida based, and do all their design and marketing from there. I am not absolutely certain where their actual production supply chain is located. Like many US companies now days.. they probably source from various supply chains around the world.

My guess is the the shifting in their branding is more about them expanding their product lines over time.. and so they want to be known as a supplier of vehicle liners of many types now.

There home website, about us, is located here: About Us

The "big three" in this business in the US are Weathertech, Maxliner (Smartliner), and Husky. They are all good products in my view..... but if you simply must have "American labor made" then I think you end up paying the extra 45-50% Weathertech charges for essentially the same product. Maxliner warranty is lifetime, and they use recycled low density polyethylene as their material. Whereas I believe Weathertech is 3 years, and is a rubber based material. They both use precision laser technology to measure and design all their liners.

Shoppers can get Weathertech Vs Maxliner comparative reviews from a number of places on the internet (some of course being biased "affiliates" which I personally ignore). A good concise and objective one can be found here is here: WeatherTech vs. Maxliner MaxFloormat - Find The Right Floor Mats For Your Vehicle

Happy shopping folks, whatever brand you settle on. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Had a WeatherTech liner and it made everything slide around much worse than using no mat at all. Just went to Home Depot and bought a rubber Traffic Master doormat for $15. It covers most of the floor in the cargo area and nothing slides around. Sue you could get real fancy with a custom one, but this does the trick.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have an aftermarket cargo mat and it too shifts around under a heavy load. The bottoms of these mats should have rows of soft spikes for traction but I have yet to see one offered for our Vs that does. I wish there was a cargo mat available that fit the entire cargo area when the tray was in it's high position. That way it would be more stable in it's position while also providing complete protection coverage.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've had better luck with the floor lowered where there's a lip to help keep the OEM mat in place all the way around.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've had better luck with the floor lowered where there's a lip to help keep the OEM mat in place all the way around.
Yes, because the mat was designed to form fit that placement but having the floor lower also limits the total level capacity for level storage when the rear seats are up or down. My work requires that I keep the adjustable floor in the high position at all times, hence the issue with the sliding/shifting mat.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Yes, because the mat was designed to form fit that placement but having the floor lower also limits the total level capacity for level storage when the rear seats are up or down. My work requires that I keep the adjustable floor in the high position at all times, hence the issue with the sliding/shifting mat.
In that case, buy a cargo mat specifically designed to only work with the cargo floor in the upper position. The big name brands actually make a different one for upper and lower for CRVs. A cargo mat designed for the lower position is too small and not conformal to the upper position interior dimensions of the CRV cargo floor.

·
Registered
245 Posts
In that case, buy a cargo mat specifically designed to only work with the cargo floor in the upper position. The big name brands actually make a different one for upper and lower for CRVs. A cargo mat designed for the lower position is too small and not conformal to the upper position interior dimensions of the CRV cargo floor.
REALLY?! I never saw a full sized mat offered anywhere when I shopped. Can you supply the names of those that offer such a product? Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Our Honda dealer includes a cargo space tray (and then tries to jack up the car's price). Don't know who makes it, but it is certainly not Weathertec. I put it over the spare tire and use it to store various emergency items and then place the cargo floor panel over it in the upper position, which works best with seats folded and aligns with the bottom of rear door opening. The lower spaces on either side of the panel are used to store hats and shopping bags where they don't slide all over the cargo area. A non-slip mat from Home Depot as previously mentioned can be used on the floor panel to reduce slippage of whatever else you carry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2017 CR-V. I researched heavily about 6 months after purchase. If you want something with a really clean, finished look, check out TuxMat out of Canada. They sell cargo liners for either the higher or lower position, which no one else does. Little costly, but they look real good. I also got the interior mats and wow, they're stunning. Yeah, you put your dirty feet on them, but I have that OCD where I need 'em. Don't judge

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the Universal WeatherTech and it doesn't shift. I'm not sure what you would consider heavy cargo, but I've had multiple pieces of filled luggage in the back and still not shifting.

FYI, the Universal Cargo Mat is less than half the the price of the Custom Fit WeatherTech. You just need a good, newer pair of scissors for the cutting, and not much needs to be taken off. Fits great and doesn't shift. And if you have a Costco membership? You can get the Universal Mat for a 1/3 of the price of the Custom Fit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There are plenty of companies that make cargo mats that specialize for either upper or lower position. The upper is bigger. I have my 18 EXL fully decked with 3D MAXpider stuff and a lower tray. They're found in many online stores but here's a sample link to an upper:

Amazon 3D MAXpider CRV 17+ cargo trays

Rubber on top feels good to the touch, looks good (imo), and tends to handle what I throw at it with no issue. The bottom portion is most relevant to your inquiry- that stuff is borderline velcro and grips so well that I actually can't slide it back on when I move it (have to hover it into place with my hands- point being, it's very locked-in). It can also fold if need be- nice for throwing it on top of the spare for when you need it out of the way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can’t anyone recommend an aftermarket trunk mat for the 2017+ CR-V that doesn’t shift under heavy cargo? The OEM trunk mat I have keeps sliding around when something heavy is on it. I’d rather not have to install Velcro underneath of it.

Ive been looking at the WeatherTech trunk mat, as I have their mats for the front & have been really happy with them.

Anyone have any input on this?
We have WeatherTech cargo liner with the cargo containment system (four corners) and nothing moves. Pricey yes but you get what you pay for, we’re very happy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts