Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys -- has anyone recommended installing a trunk-mounted bike rack onto the 2017 CR-V? I own a Thule Archway 2 (9009) inherited from a previous vehicle. Even though I'm able to fit the rack and load a road bike onto the CR-V, Thule does not recommend installing the rack onto the CR-V, citing 'All instances of this vehicle come with a factory spoiler which is not strong enough to take the weight of our strap carriers'.

Well the total weight of the rack plus my bike is under 35 lbs (the rack has a max load limit of 70 lbs, and my bike is only 20 lbs). If I'm only ever going to carry one bike, should I go against Thule's warning and use the rack anyways? What are the most common ways you guys carry bikes with your CR-V?

2017-05-28 19.21.35.jpeg

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I would not do this; Thule's warning kinda says it all.

Either a roof rack (you can add rails if you like, or wait a little while for clamp/pad kits) or a hitch-mount.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I use a hitch mounted bike rack on my 2013. You can see the pics in my album if you'd like. I drove from TX to VA with 2 Trek mountain bikes on my hitch rack with absolutely no problems at all.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I have something similar and planned to use it over the memorial day weekend but chickened out. It just didn't seem stable enough. I'm planning to add a hitch instead.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have been using a hitch mounted platform type bike rack for the past five years. I have traveled thousands of miles with my bikes on the back and have never had an issue. It is also very easy to remove during the winter months when my bikes are not being ridden.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts