Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In August I received a letter from Honda titled "Warranty Extension: Sticking Piston Rings Resulting in High Engine Oil Consumption" referencing SVC Bulletin #12-089. It says that on some 2010 & 2011 CR-V's the piston rings may be sticking resulting in high engine oil consumption. It said that Honda is extending the warranty of the engine pistons and piston rings to 8 years from the original date of purchase or 125k miles whichever occurs first.

I have not had any excessive oil consumption on my 2011. Wondering if anyone else has?

·
Registered
108 Posts
hi, i have a 2011 crv and had somewhat high consumption which got much better after a dose of MM oil which is known to free up sticking oil control rings- subject and possibile solutions are detailed in my other posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi, i have a 2011 crv and had somewhat high consumption which got much better after a dose of MM oil which is known to free up sticking oil control rings- subject and possibile solutions are detailed in my other posts
That's great to hear that there was a relatively simple solution for you.

How many miles did you have when the problem first appeared?

I have 69k on my 2011 and no abnormal oil consumption so far.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I got the notice too.
My 2011 has about 75,000 miles, I just checked the oil as the "15%" reminder came on. The oil level is right between the two holes on the dipstick, where it should be so mine is not burning much oil, at least not now. I have used Mobil 1 0w-20 since it was new.

·
Registered
9 Posts
2010 had an the rings replaced at 125,000. It was nuts, first off I was under the assumption to change oil at the 15% mark. Never really checked on the dip stick. I made a long turn in a round o bout. Engine oil light flashed during the turn. It was hard to see behind the steering wheel. So I did the round a bout again and the same thing. It was making funny noise when i started engine also. So I checked oil and it didn't register on the dip stick at all. Put 3 qts of oil in the engine and all was normal. That all happened with only 50% life of the oil. I would get about 2,000 miles on the oil and would have to add over 2.5 qts. Went to Honda they by passed the oil consumption test and I just paid for the ring replacement. Honda covered 50% of a 3,000 dollar bill. So i would and always do now check dip stick when filling up the gas!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also received this letter for my 2011 CRV. So stupid question, how can I go about checking this myself to see if I have an issue? I'm relunctant to take it to the dealer right away because they'll tell me to be on the look out for XYZ. Is it just a matter of looking at the dipstick and see where the level of oil is? We hardly drive this car (wife's car and she is a stay at home mom) so we probably put on maybe 1500 miles since the last oil change a few months ago.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how can I go about checking this myself to see if I have an issue?
The only way to find out if you have a problem is to monitor the oil level on your dipstick over time. You should know pretty quickly if there is a problem. McCarlson77's example in post #5 is a case in point.... 2 1/2 quarts down in 2000 miles!

Since your wife doesn't drive the CRV much, you might want to trade cars with her for a few months while you put miles on it and monitor the oil.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is similar to the 03-04 Toyota Matrix / Corolla / Pontiac Vibe 1ZZ engine issue of which I have extensive experience. If the engine is well cared for, such as synthetic oil since new or very regular oil changes and light duty use, then you may never have the issue. The issue comes about when oil is not retained in the oil control ring and what is left gets burned up. This gunk builds up on the rings and allows the oil to make it into the burn cycle. On the Toyota engine, this was because of only 2 oil jets in the piston - newer engines went to 4 jets.

As noted above, keep close watch on your oil levels. I used the B-trip odo for tracking when oil was changed and thus have a good yard stick of what the consumption per 1000 miles is. Not sure what Honda's limit is but some other MFR allow up to 1 quart per 1000 miles and call it 'normal'. I expect Honda would hold a much tighter line such as a quart per 3000 miles.

Other good tips - DRIVE it, REV it and even dated photos would probably be good to start building your justification 'package'.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another good solution may be, as I've learned with Miata engines, is to run a high-detergent diesel oil. It is also rated for automotive use with the SM/SN ratings. Rotella synthetic T6 5W-40 is the go-to oil for many Miata drivers for keeping the HLA (hydraulic lash adjusters) clean. From this experience, I believe T6 may be good cleaning cycle oil to help those that may have passed the 125k mile warranty extension.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not sure what Honda's limit is but some other MFR allow up to 1 quart per 1000 miles and call it 'normal'. I expect Honda would hold a much tighter line such as a quart per 3000 miles.

Other good tips - DRIVE it, REV it and even dated photos would probably be good to start building your justification 'package'.
Honda's limit is 1 qt/1000 miles. Many manufactures are saying this, I think its colusion into not wanting to honor engine repairs. They can all point to each other as this is 'normal' usage. Honda says one cause is REVing cold engine, don't do that.

·
Registered
252 Posts
first off I was under the assumption to change oil at the 15% mark. Never really checked on the dip stick.
Slightly OT - had a B1 service at dealer a little over 8 weeks ago which includes checking of all fluid levels... Changed the trans fluid myself last weekend and discovered I was nearly 1 qt low measured by what came out. Just inherited the CRV from my wife who got a new Pilot so up to this point it has been dealer serviced for everything. Lesson learned - I now regularly check all my fluids myself during fillups and also double check any dealer service (should do that anyway, but had been trusting the dealer and since the car ran well never gave it the thought it deserves).

·
Registered
47 Posts
30k mi. here, no oil consumption. Never had a single problem, knock on wood. If it burns oil just a tad I'll go buy a Toyota or a Ford. As long as it runs like it does now I'll keep it. Handy little car.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
If it burns oil just a tad I'll go buy a Toyota or a Ford.
Really, a FORD ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

·
Registered
252 Posts
Really, a FORD ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Actually, the Police Explorer Interceptor looks pretty nice, and the Explorer ranks very highly in mechanical reliability (interior and accessories not so much, but at least it will get you there). Out of domestic manufacturers they seem to be the best. I'd really like to be able to feel that I could get a good reliable value while "buying American" (even though most imports are nearly as 'American' as the domestic models).

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2010 CRV is in the shop right now for this repair. It's been there since Monday AM (it's now Thursday PM) and may not be complete until next week. I've been getting the oil level checked every 1000 miles for over a year (and between 0.5 qt and 1 qt of oil is added because of excessive oil consumption. 1 qt/ 1000 miles is about what I was doing, but something was obviously wrong and we all knew it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After finding my wife's 2010 CRV with a dry dipstick today, I found this thread after a Google search. We bought this car from a Honda dealer 5,000 miles ago, and the odo is now at 63k. We are the second owners. My question is, does this extended warranty apply to non-original owners? My 2011 CRV (bought 18 months and 17k miles ago) does NOT exhibit this issue.

·
Registered
76 Posts
To get extended warranty letters from Honda, call them at 800-999-1009 with your vin #. Request that a case be opened so they can send you all the outstanding campaigns or recall letters that apply to your vin #. The letters will arrive within a week. The ones that apply to my 2011 EX-L are: 12-072 - A/C compressor clutch; 13-005 - Tailgate corrosion; 12-089 - Oil consumption.

Edit - We are the second owners of the recently acquired honda certified 2011 EX-L with 25K miles. The warranties apply - it does not make a difference if the CR-V is certified or not, or if we are the original owners.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In August I received a letter from Honda titled "Warranty Extension: Sticking Piston Rings Resulting in High Engine Oil Consumption" referencing SVC Bulletin #12-089. It says that on some 2010 & 2011 CR-V's the piston rings may be sticking resulting in high engine oil consumption. It said that Honda is extending the warranty of the engine pistons and piston rings to 8 years from the original date of purchase or 125k miles whichever occurs first.

I have not had any excessive oil consumption on my 2011. Wondering if anyone else has?
Hi, I'm from Malaysia and I drive a CR-V and recently I noticed unusually high oil consumption. About 2 liters after 2k+ km. I'm wondering if you could email me a copy of the TSB #12-089? I need this document to support my claim with the local dealership should the repair involve costly parts change and labor. Thank you in advance.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts