Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today in the mail I received a "campaign" #6DU letter from Honda Automobile Division stating that "On 2017-18 CR-V vehicles equipped with the 1.5 liter turbo engine there are reports of vehicles experiencing drivability concerns. These concerns can result in the malfunction indicator lamp coming on. Contact any authorized Honda dealer for an appointment to have your vehicle's software updated and A/C control replaced. This work will be done for free. Please plan to leave your vehicle at the dealer for at least a day to allow them flexibility in scheduling."

They went on to say that "failure to do so could be determined as lack of proper maintenance for your vehicle" re the Emission Warranty.

I checked for open recalls on Honda's own web site, using my VIN, and it shows no open recalls. I also found the original TSB 18-114 online. I would attach it but the 179 kb size of the PDF file exceeds the limited) max size for this forum - and I haven't made 5 posts yet, so I also can't link to it. I can tell you that the TSB is much more specific than the letter and says that the check engine light (in Honda lingo the malfunction indicator lamp) would be on and the diagnostic codes would show one or more of P0300, P0301, P0302, P0304, or P0172. My light is NOT on and there are thus no diagnostic codes being reported. I understand that the implication is that this would prevent the problem from occurring, but I see no convincing evidence that it is likely to occur, and the thought of bringing my vehicle in, with only 6,000 miles on it, and leaving it there for some unspecified amount of time, to have the a/c control unit taken out and replaced "just in case something might happen someday" gives me that "what could possibly go wrong?" feeling? Does that make sense?

Also, I checked my VIN number on Honda's own site for checking recalls, and it came back as "there are no current safety recalls for this vehicle."

The TSB was released on October 22, 2018, so I also wonder why I am just now receiving their letter 2 full months later.

Am I too cynical in suspecting this is to get me into a dealer where they'll find other things wrong, or where the proposed "update" will suddenly be not really "free"? And I am really wary of their casual reference to "plan to leave your vehicle at the dealer for AT LEAST (caps mine) a day." I found another gent online who has had his Pilot in a dealer's shop for a similar letter received, and has been waiting for it for 2 weeks now due to ambiguous "delays in obtaining parts".

And I wish I knew what "there have been reports" of drivability problems actually means. How many reports, 2 or thousand? What percentage of vehicles?

I'm thinking of just continuing to drive until if and when I actually get an indication of problem (like the check engine light actually coming on). I like this car and I only have 6,000 miles on it, and I want to take care of it. But Honda's entire approach in sending me an ambiguous letter two months after the TSB was published, and not even suggesting that I do a check based on my VIN number (which the original TSB did suggest, and which came back as 'no open safety recalls for this vehicle" when I did check it that way, has not inspired any confidence in me regarding their approach. Any comments, suggestions, advice will be greatly appreciated.

username: Banff

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,154 Posts
A TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) is not a Safety Recall. That is why your search came up empty. Links to TSB 18-114 have been published here already...no need to do it again.

If the level of the 'fluid' (oil & gas) gets too high you could experience too much crankcase pressure and this could affect your engine.

I'm thinking of just continuing to drive until if and when I actually get an indication of problem (like the check engine light actually coming on).
Not recommended. Read your owners' manual...every owner SHOULD be doing regular checks of the dipstick (and other underhood items). So if the oil level creeps up, you can take action before anything else happens that could strand you.

++++++++++

I share your cynicism of dealer 'suggested services'. But it's easy to say "I'll consider it" then leave. You can always ask here for advice if you are unsure that something is actually required.

If you do those underhood checks (or have have a friend/mechanic do them) there's a very very good chance that your V will last hundreds of thousands of miles! IMO...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for your good advice, Buff - please know that it is greatly appreciated! I do regularly look at the oil dipstick, and so far I have seen nothing unusual there, certainly no unexpected rise in the oil level. I will continue check that, regularly. Also, do you have any thoughts about the software update that the service bulletin 18-114 mentions? Is that something that I should get done even if I'm not seeing any issue with the oil level - or would that be necessary only if was experiencing oil level creeping up, requiring replacement of the A/C control unit?

·
Registered
20 Posts
This repair is to address the Oil Dilution and fuel smells in cold regions. My assumption as to why this is not a recall is strictly that of liability.

From my reading on the topic, they started this in 4 very cold US states, and then expanded to 16 others. I also got the letter yesterday in Illinois. They will reprogram the Engine and transmission computers and also replace the AC controls, likely to prevent them from turning on full blast when the car is remote started. Turning the heat on full blast before the car is even warm increases the amount of time to warm up the engine and likely increases the unburnt fuel going into the crankcase.

Here is a link to the TSB

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,154 Posts
I can't personally speak to the effectiveness of the TSBs since we here in NJ are not yet scheduled. Perhaps in the spring? There are other Topics regards 'THE FIX" and its effectiveness.

I haven't followed up with my sister about her '18. The oil level was fairly constant until Thanksgiving (the last time I checked).

See what happens with your cabin heat on cold days, if you get slow warm-up, have the TSBs done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks very much, Slammedtgs! The additional details are helpful, and your comment about the the AC controls is something that would not have occurred to me. Your guidance is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again, Buff - this is exactly the kind of expert and thoughtful advice I was hoping for when I registered for this forum. It is very much appreciated - and I wish a Merry Christmas to you, to Slammedtgs, and to all of the members here!

Bob Bopp aka "Banff"
Middletown, CT

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can't personally speak to the effectiveness of the TSBs since we here in NJ are not yet scheduled. Perhaps in the spring? There are other Topics regards 'THE FIX" and its effectiveness.

I haven't followed up with my sister about her '18. The oil level was fairly constant until Thanksgiving (the last time I checked).

See what happens with your cabin heat on cold days, if you get slow warm-up, have the TSBs done.

I called my local dealer after reading about the TSB and scheduled for next Wednesday. I have not seen a significant increase in oil volume but frequently smell a strong fuel odor in the car after its remote started with heat/fan on high. The car is mostly used for short trips where the car just warms up and then turned off. Hopefully this will help but as you mentioned, it's hard to know if this fixes the problem for sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.