Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I got a concerned text and call from Mrs. that our new-to-us 2015 CR-V (EX AWD) had "put on the brakes all by itself" and "wouldn't let me do anything. Drive, reverse, nothing." I eventually deduced that the engine had stalled, or at least that was the most likely explanation, and my wife didn't realize that the engine had died. So after some digging, I found a relatively recent TSB (#A18-072) for the 2015 CR-V about something like this where the car could stall within 10-14 seconds in reverse after a cold start.

It seems to explain what happened, and that Honda is aware of it. However, I can't find any information about what the fix is or if there even is a fix. I can't find any information about people having this on their car, although I've found some people who have had the same symptoms. Nothing I've found leads me to believe that there's been a permanent fix though.

So I guess I'm posting to a) make people aware that there is a TSB for this problem, so if anyone else has the issue they know; and b) see if anyone has had their car fixed under this TSB and what the fix was.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey just updating this thread with more info. I took curvy to the dealer this afternoon and they confirmed the issue matches with the service bulletin. They're going to replace the transmission under warranty. So if anyone else still has this issue, check with your dealership and get a new cvt maybe. I'll post again after it's replaced.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have two 2015 crv tourings. One does this (mine), the other does not. I have brought it to the dealer for this, back in late 2015, but they said there was nothing wrong and they couldn't duplicate. I'd love to see that TSB, also, although I suspect the warrantee may be over with 45k miles and 3.5 years?

·
Registered
76 Posts
We have a 2015 and have had it a year at the end of March. I had it stall when going into reverse to back out of the drive way when on the first start of the day. It happened two or three times with me and never with my wife. (she is the primary driver to her work). I believe figured out why it happened to me and not her....I am more of a multi tasker I guess and in a hurry. I would get in the car,, start it up with my foot on the brake (not releasing it while putting it in reverse and while backing up putting on the seat belt.
What I do now i slow it down.....start the car, take my foot off the brake and put my seat belt on. Then put it in reverse and back out of the driveway.
It has not happened since.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have two 2015 crv tourings. One does this (mine), the other does not. I have brought it to the dealer for this, back in late 2015, but they said there was nothing wrong and they couldn't duplicate. I'd love to see that TSB, also, although I suspect the warrantee may be over with 45k miles and 3.5 years?
Here's link to TSB 18-072: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10142672-9999.pdf
The repair would be covered under Honda's 5 year, 60k miles powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This morning I got a concerned text and call from Mrs. that our new-to-us 2015 CR-V (EX AWD) had "put on the brakes all by itself" and "wouldn't let me do anything. Drive, reverse, nothing." I eventually deduced that the engine had stalled, or at least that was the most likely explanation, and my wife didn't realize that the engine had died. So after some digging, I found a relatively recent TSB (#A18-072) for the 2015 CR-V about something like this where the car could stall within 10-14 seconds in reverse after a cold start.

It seems to explain what happened, and that Honda is aware of it. However, I can't find any information about what the fix is or if there even is a fix. I can't find any information about people having this on their car, although I've found some people who have had the same symptoms. Nothing I've found leads me to believe that there's been a permanent fix though.

So I guess I'm posting to a) make people aware that there is a TSB for this problem, so if anyone else has the issue they know; and b) see if anyone has had their car fixed under this TSB and what the fix was.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I printed out this TSB and took it to my dealer because I have exactly the same issue with my 2015 Honda CRV and I’ve had the issue ever since about the third week I have owned the car which I bought new in August 2015. Service department said they had never heard of this TSB, but were willing to check the car out yet again. I’ve had there many times for the same problem and they haven’t been able to duplicate the problem while it’s on their diagnostic equipment. This time I left it for several days and it’s still there and they still haven’t been able to duplicate the problem. Here’s the catch 22: even though the TSB says that all 2015 CRV’s are affected, if they can’t duplicate the problem while the car is on their diagnostic equipment and take a snapshot, They won’t fix the problem. The fix for this is a new transmission.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Is the engine stalling or is it just stumbling? The snapshot is only taken if the engine stalls.
The dealer doesn't have to duplicate the problem in order to retrieve the snapshot. The snapshot is taken and retained when the problem happens while you are driving. You then take the vehicle to the dealer for retrieval. The TSB does not mention any time limit for retrieval, so I assume the snapshot is stored indefinitely.
Sounds like you need to go to a different dealer.
Here's latest version of the TSB. Accords of the same vintage are also impacted.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for this piece of information! I know nothing about cars and was assuming the Honda diagnostic machine took a "snapshot" if the car stalled while being hooked up to it because the dealer keeps telling me that they have to be able to duplicate the stall while the car is hooked up to their equipment. I see that on the last page of the Service Bulletin there is a note that says "If there is no snapshot, this service bulletin does not apply. Continue with normal system troubleshooting." Is the snapshot stored in the car somewhere? If so, maybe they couldn't find the snapshot and that's why they are telling me that they have to duplicate the problem?? They kept the car overnight again tonight, so I will ask them about this tomorrow.
The engine does both stumbling and stalling. It has done this ever since the 3rd week I owned it (purchased it new in 2015 with only 3 miles on it). Last month it stalled at least twice while reversing out of the garage. Maybe I need to wait for it to stall again and take it to the dealer (very close to my house) right afterwards to make sure said "snapshot" doesn't disappear.
Thanks again for your helpful post!

·
Registered
6 Posts
The dealer has had my car since Saturday. I picked it up today (Wednesday). The service manager said that the tech was unable to find a "snapshot" and that he was unable to duplicate the stalling problem after trying on four separate days. I asked if there was a possibility that the snapshot was erased from the car's computer system when the tech disconnected the battery. Apparently, the person who drove the car into the service area had taken the key, so when the tech did something to the car and the alarm went off, disconnecting the battery was the only way the he could turn off the alarm. I saw this happening because I had left something in the car and went back to get it. The service manager said that disconnecting the battery would not have erased anything from the car's computer. If the snapshot is saved in the car's onboard computer, I wonder how long it stays there. I told the service manager that the next time the car stalls as I'm backing out of my garage, I will head straight to Honda so they can check for the snapshot right away. I also gave the service manager a copy of the October TSB so kindly provided by marty1. Interesting that Accords have been added, as the service manager told me previously that there was an Accord brought in with the same problem.
Other than this annoying problem, I love my CRV. I'm hoping to get this fixed before my warranty runs out in August. I will post an update if the snapshot is found.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had the same intermittent issue (though the car rarely stalled out completely). I have 6k left on HondaCare so I took it to the dealer with the TSB reference (I had brought up the same issue four years ago before the TSB and they thought it was related to the idle vibration issue). They also couldn't find a snapshot but wanted to keep the car and talk to an engineer. Fast forward two weeks and Honda is replacing the entire transmission under warranty. Supposedly they never even sent the engineer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A happy ending to my story, thanks to Marty1. My car stalled in reverse last Friday morning. I had to be at work in the morning, so I took the car to the dealer at lunchtime. Imagine my amazement when the tech pulled up in my car and said, "Miss Judith, I'm glad you came in. We got the snapshot and I'm ordering you a new transmission." I am so relieved that this is going to be fixed before my warranty runs out. Thanks again, Marty1, wherever you are. This would not have happened without your posting the TSB. I just can't understand why the dealer didn't know about it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Well Miss Judith, wherever you are, glad to hear of the successful outcome after almost 5 years of grief. I appreciate you letting us know how this turned out.
It's amazing how dealers aren't aware of TSBs in this age of computers. Makes you wonder how they ever managed when everything was paper only.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Just got mine back. I'm having another issue where the car doesn't recognize the transmission is in park (see separate post) but I got a new transmission. The work order said they noticed a burnt smell from the fluid but also noted I had all my transmission fluid changes done there on schedule. They were shocked the engineer never came in before authorizing (unlike another car in the shop at that moment with an unknown issue).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you, original poster! I bought an EXL that had just come off its lease about a year ago from a Honda dealer. The vehicle had about 30k miles, came with the Honda certified pre-owned warranty, and evidently still carried the original power train warranty. During the 10k miles I put on it, it would stall out when backing out of the garage (for the first time that day) about once month. I’ve owned 6 Hondas and (sadly) driven hundreds of thousand of miles in them and had never had one stall before.

Upon reading this thread, I took the EXL to a nearby dealer which confirmed the issue described in the bulletin. Honda corporate promptly agreed to replace the transmission under warranty and the work was completed in about 4 days. The costs charged to Honda were about $3300 for the transmission and $800 for labor. Cheers!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts