Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Husband and I have a 2019 Honda CRV Touring and it sounds like I'm driving motorboat or a lawn mower. My husband says it the turbo making that sound. When starting off it is slow pickup and that is when it has the loud turbo noise. We had a 2013 Accord Sport with turbo and it drove smooth, no sounds. Does anyone have any of the same complaints? Do I need to be concerned?

Registered
The motorboat/lawnmower sound is standard on the Touring model.......optional on the EX/EXL models. (just kidding)

I鈥檓 thinking 鈥渢he growl鈥 is coming from the air filter box, not the turblow.?鈥嶁檪 I monitor boost/vacuum.....when starting off/slow pickup, the turblow is doing nothing, other than freewheel spinning, far from making any boost pressure. Remember, the turblow is not driven by a belt or a gear, it spins from invisible exhaust gases flowing thru fan blades.

Did you mean your Accord was quiet?

Registered
2019 CR-V EX
It does sound like a lawnmower when you step into it, or a growling hot rod mini 4 banger, depending on your POV. Drive is softly (for maximum fuel economy) and it's silent as it sips gas and LOLs as it passes by gas station after gas station. But if you step on it, it growls (and that kills the fuel economy). Keep in mind that it's a tiny 1.5 liter engine trying to pull a 3400 pound vehicle. This is not a hot rod, sports car. It's not fast, it's not quick, but the power is plenty adequate for the task.

The turbo is a very high pitched whining sound that is barely audible compared to the engine growl, and a mini-me growl it is. I am fond of it, myself.

Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
1) Older Accords, like the 2013 sport had no turbo.. just a V6.

2) The turbo does not kick in until after 1800 rpm on the 1.5T engine, and when it does.. it is fast spin up and very quiet. For very easy in town driving... unless you step into the pedal to get up to speed quickly... you rarely see the turbo even go active as the rpms will stay below 2000.

It is the raw power of the engine... running at higher rpm when you stomp on the gas that is giving you the loud growler sound. The noise is a combination of air intake as crv383 noted, as well as the fast wind up of rpms on acceleration and the CVT responding to the torque that results. If you ease on the gas... it's a very quiet vehicle... if you kick it.. it growls and jumps into action like no prior CRV.

The 1.5T engine and the CVT are very well tuned together, with the CVT loving high torque at lower rpms.. and the engine can and will respond with plenty of torque on demand... if anything it is a bit too much torque as it can really surprise you if you stomp on the gas when you need to move quick to avoid some safety hazard on the road.

You want to really hear it growl.... floor it from a stop at an intersection and keep it down until you reach 60 mph (only where it is safe to do so of course).

Registered
2019 CR-V EX
You want to really hear it growl.... floor it from a stop at an intersection and keep it down until you reach 60 mph (only where it is safe to do so of course).
? Considerable torque steer will have you going sideways in a short distance. I've already been through that with my '19 EX.

Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
? Considerable torque steer will have you going sideways in a short distance. I've already been through that with my '19 EX.

The couple of times I really put the pedal down, I did not experience any notable torque steer. Road surface and tires probably play a role in this as well as acceleration.

Registered
When boost gets to about 7, the grin gets bigger.?

I thinking 鈥渢he growl鈥 comes from the air filter box because the sound reminds me of way, way, way back in the day it was cool to flip the lid over on the air cleaner and hear 鈥渢he growl鈥. Anybody here remember those days??

Reactions: dude49!

Registered
2019 CR-V EX
The couple of times I really put the pedal down, I did not experience any notable torque steer. Road surface and tires probably play a role in this as well as acceleration.
I was going up a steep freeway on ramp in the rain when I gunned it and pulled hard to the right. I almost lost it.

Another time I was again going up a steep straight road (it's VERY hilly where I live) and I gunned it to pass a very slow driver who was window shopping. The front end lifted up and I could barely see in front of me and it pulled hard to the right.

The funny thing about any time I gun it hard, it doesn't effect the MPGs in real time. In a V8, it would have sucked two gallons of gas down.

However, I baby my CRV, overall. I've never even taken it out of Economy Mode. It's plenty powerful in that mode when it needs to be. My total MPGs from since I bought it is at 29.5 which includes hauling things frequently and all the damned hills where I reside.

There is a part of me that wonders how it drives out of Economy Mode. How much stronger is it out of that mode?

This is the first FWD vehicle I have ever owned.

Registered
Live dangerous and blow a little soot out of the motor.......turn ECO off, shift to 鈥淪鈥 and look at that big ol鈥 grin in the rear view mirror. Caution....only do this for a day or two as it may become habit forming.?

Reactions: dude49!

Registered
2019 CR-V EX
Live dangerous and blow a little soot out of the motor.......turn ECO off, shift to 鈥淪鈥 and look at that big ol鈥 grin in the rear view mirror. Caution....only do this for a day or two as it may become habit forming.?
What exactly does the "S" on the shifter stand for? I was unable to find the description in the owners manual.

Registered
Husband and I have a 2019 Honda CRV Touring and it sounds like I'm driving motorboat or a lawn mower. My husband says it the turbo making that sound. When starting off it is slow pickup and that is when it has the loud turbo noise. We had a 2013 Accord Sport with turbo and it drove smooth, no sounds. Does anyone have any of the same complaints? Do I need to be concerned?
I have the same issue with a very noisy 2019 CR-V. The tech guy said it will be noisy until the turbo catches up with the exhaust flow. Bad design I guess. Otherwise I like the SUV, size, mileage, etc. Also had a set of bad all season tires that came with the vehicle causing a vibration. The dealership says it鈥檚 my problem. Bought new upgraded winter tires no vibration. So I鈥檓 fine until spring.

Registered
I have the same issue with a very noisy 2019 CR-V. The tech guy said it will be noisy until the turbo catches up with the exhaust flow. Bad design I guess. Otherwise I like the SUV, size, mileage, etc. Also had a set of bad all season tires that came with the vehicle causing a vibration. The dealership says it鈥檚 my problem. Bought new upgraded winter tires no vibration. So I鈥檓 fine until spring.
As said above, make sure you are driving in Sport mode or especially with ECO mode off. And stop lugging your engine around. The turbo will spool almost instantly if you don't baby it. This will alleviate the noise issue.

As for the tire issues. You aren't the first or last to have that issue. Some need to road balance the tires to get it right even from the factory.

Registered
"The tech guy said it will be noisy until the turbo catches up with the exhaust flow." That's a good one.

Nobody remembers flippin' the top of the air breather?......really?

Does the Gen 5 CRV turblow spin at all when the motor is idling?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts