Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2020 CR-V LX AWD
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2020 LX CRV a couple of months ago. Inside the car I can hear this faint ticking noise from the engine, kind of sounds like the AC fan is running, but is not. I can hear it all the time. I took it to Honda and to see if this is normal, and they popped the hood, and you could hear this ticking noise even louder. They said it is normal of the Turbo engine. I have sensitive hearing, so I find this faint ticking inside the cab annoying. Is this normal? Does anyone else hear it inside the cab?

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
3,476 Posts
The gen5 CRVs have a number of perfectly normal little noises both inside the cabin and outside the cabin. The engine is also a real growler under moderate to heavy acceleration.

All normal.... so if you are overly annoyed by the various little sounds... best to put some music on and just drive and enjoy.

Trust me, humans are quite adaptable to noise and visual events... and naturally learn to self-filter them. Just give it a little time.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It's quite possible you are hearing the fuel injectors, which in a gasoline direct injection (GDI) engine are at high pressure and much louder than non-GDI engines

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk - 2018 CR-V AWD Touring

·
Registered
58 Posts
yes..it is normal i guess......i didn't hear this in my 17' civic 1.5 maybe better firewall insulation...anyway noticed this right away in the V and was like wtf. it's a non issue now, and i believe/feel it is related to the di injectors as it's rpm dependent

Reactions: Julie06

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
498 Posts
My 2018 Crv is loud as f*** when you open the hood and stand next to it lol, but almost none when inside the car. This is the Turbo GDI, so it's normal. I just start using Castrol 5w30 in this winter, and the noise seems to reduce a lot.
Yes, it's a noisy little beasty when you are standing outside with the engine running but I agree that the interior is fairly well shielded from the noise, all things considered.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Yes, it's a noisy little beasty when you are standing outside with the engine running but I agree that the interior is fairly well shielded from the noise, all things considered.
Imagine now.. riding on the hood, while someone else drives deeply into this growling engines torque curve. Given how loud it can be under heavy acceleration... imagine being directly above the engine while it is growling. :)

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
498 Posts
Imagine now.. riding on the hood, while someone else drives deeply into this growling engines torque curve. Given how loud it can be under heavy acceleration... imagine being directly above the engine while it is growling. :)
I like it!

I can use transparent aluminum for the seating so that the driver's view will not be obstructed.

I will call them "Engine Growler Seats".

·
Registered
58 Posts
speaking of noise....I could never even under full load here the turbo in my 17' civic...but the V when I'm coming to a stop I can easily hear it spooling down. which is kinda cool....

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
498 Posts
speaking of noise....I could never even under full load here the turbo in my 17' civic...but the V when I'm coming to a stop I can easily hear it spooling down. which is kinda cool....
The turbo is so tiny on these motors that it is more likely that you are hearing the CVT spooling down.

·
Registered
58 Posts
"cvt spooling down"...are you pulling my chain??

·
Registered
141 Posts
The turbo is so tiny on these motors that it is more likely that you are hearing the CVT spooling down.
You might be able to hear the turbo but the OP cites a ticking noise while engine is running. That doesn't seem like it would be the turbo spinning down.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk - 2018 CR-V AWD Touring

·
Registered
2020 CR-V LX AWD
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all your input! I went to the Honda dealer over the weekend and they listened and said the ticking noise was normal, due to the GDI engine. I even listened to another new CRV engine on the outside and inside the vehicle, and it was the same ticking noise. I find it somewhat better, knowing this is a normal thing. I previously drove a 2007 Honda Civic, that didn't have a GDI engine, so this was a new noise to me. I still find it annoying, but will have to accept it. I've thought about putting additional sound deadener under the hood. Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
I've thought about putting additional sound deadener under the hood. Has anyone done this?
Just give it a few weeks.. you will adapt and your mind will filter out the noise. The human mind is really good at filtering.. if we just allow it to... ie: don't obsess. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts