Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 CRV, 210,000KMS, auto trans. regularly serviced.
Never had an issue until now, but my wife's CRV will not start! Here is what I have checked so far...
Battery is strong, no issue there. It turns over, but will not start.
There is fuel in the tank!
I followed the "starting procedure" instructions in the manual, including pedal in half way, and fully depressed.
I have checked that there is spark, and there is...
I checked that the cam-shaft is turning, indicating the timing belt is OK, and it is
I introduced a small amount of fuel directly, and it runs for a second or two then sputters out
I hear the fuel pump relay clicking when turning the key- clicks on, then off after about 2-3 seconds
fuel pump fuse is OK

I am leaning towards the fuel pump itself, but before I spring for the parts, I wanted to see if there were any other suggestions of what to check or what the issue could be. I have heard that the fuel pumps are rarely the issue, and it is more commonly the relay, but like I mention above, I hear the click of the relay which I take as proper relay function.

Also, does anyone know if I need purchase the whole fule pump assembly, or just the pump itself?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
438 Posts
In the days of yore, I would just pull the fuel line off the carb on my Model A and stick it in a jar or coffee can and crank the engine over. :D Nowadays, you probably have to take a pressure reading off the fuel rail or some such. Hopefully a real tech will post up.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Possible causes of no start from what you have described are; Fuel or lack of. Can be caused by low pressure in the fuel distributor (fuel rail) caused by, filter plugged, fuel pump failing, fuel pressure regulator failing, starter motor not turning the motor over fast enough which prevents the injectors from injecting fuel. Does it sound like it is turning at the full normal speed?
Check the fuel pressure at the rail, even if the pump is running the reg can lower the pressure or it shuts off before reaching full pressure, the filter can limit it, the pump may not be coming up to full pressure but the reg is operating so if it's operating correctly, the pump must be getting up to pressure.
If you purchase the whole assembly (just to substitute parts without diagnosing which part is faulty) then you have a new filter and a new regulator. Might be the best way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have '99 CRV that is doing somewhat the same thing - Starts fine in the morning but if need to make short trips it wont start up right away! Must let it sit for sometimes 20 min before she will start. Took to a mechanic who check all the things as you mentioned but still happens. Did replacing the fuel pump solve your problem?

·
Registered
43 Posts
2003 crv - intermittent starting

Hello. First post here, I joined to ask advice about my friend's car. It starts sometimes and these days it's not.
I cleaned up and got it to start but I don't feel confident. No way she's going to get out the tools and clean up if it doesn't start.

Once it starts it goes well. She drove form Montreal to Toronto and back several times and seems to have done ok.

She had it towed to Honda and they said $3,000 minimum and no guarantee that it will be fixed. They wanted to replace the head gasket. She already paid $4,000 in 2012 to get head gasket done so she refused. Honda had kept it for a few days so she tried to start it and to her surprise, succeeded, so drove it home.

Now she managed to drive it to Toronto and is stranded.
-
Here's what I see.
0. When trying to start, engine turns at normal speed. RPM needle does not move. After 4-5 turns, it sounds as if it's going to start and the rpm needle moves up then dies. After 2-3 ties, gas smell outside car.
1. Spark plugs were not dry. Gas or oil on them. Spark wells have oily residue.
2. Coolant leaks - I can see it on the transmission housing
3. The air filter looks original. The housing screws are all rusted.
4. The air filter housing had some greasy gunk in it leading all the way to the intake. Also in the tube going to the engine.
5. When started, exhaust is white

I cleaned up as much as I could and it started and ran. Test some more tomorrow.

Here are some pictures - looking forward to any comments.

image001.jpg image002.jpg image003.jpg image004.jpg image005.jpg image006.jpg

·
Registered
121 Posts
The Greasy Gunk looks like oil and coolant mixed. Also you indicate that there is white smoke coming from the exhaust. Does white smoke continue to come from the exhaust even after a few minutes of a cold start? Have you checked the oil to see if it looks like the greasy gunk you found in the air filter box? See if you can see where the coolant is leaking from. You can get a dye test at Canadian Tire that can help you with this if its not obvious where it is coming from.

These are indications of a Blown head gasket like the mechanic at honda told her.
Good luck with your friends Crv. If you confirm the head gasket is blown, unless you can do it your self or she has the money to put into it to have it done, with 210 000kms on an 03 that has had the head gasket done before I would look for something else to drive at this point.

If she does have it done then it would be a good idea to have the head resurfaced before the new gaskets are installed as there may be some head warpage.

Cheers
Zaze

·
Registered
43 Posts
Checking for spark

I'm on the next step now - checked for spark.
It started and I drove it a bit and managed to get this diagnostic code : P1362
Engine code 1362. CMP Sensor B (TDC Sensor) No signal.

Check the youtube video for the spark test: Can't post it as I need a couple more posts under my belt.

Any help to find this sensor?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi. Thanks for taking the time for all the leads. I'm getting back into troubleshooting ...

The Greasy Gunk looks like oil and coolant mixed. Also you indicate that there is white smoke coming from the exhaust. Does white smoke continue to come from the exhaust even after a few minutes of a cold start?

>>> It does seem to stop after a little drive. I managed a test as it did start up once today.

Have you checked the oil to see if it looks like the greasy gunk you found in the air filter box? See if you can see where the coolant is leaking from. You can get a dye test at Canadian Tire that can help you with this if its not obvious where it is coming from.
>> I found the leak. Its a little pipe going from the throttle body to under where the upper rad hose goes into the engine. Had to take out the air filter housing to see it.

These are indications of a Blown head gasket like the mechanic at honda told her.
Good luck with your friends Crv. If you confirm the head gasket is blown, unless you can do it your self or she has the money to put into it to have it done, with 210 000kms on an 03 that has had the head gasket done before I would look for something else to drive at this point.

>> Compound this with the no start. I see Kijiji ads for a new engine installed for about $2,000. Head gasket replace is $400 but it might not solve the no-start.
I think I should get it to start but before doing the head gasket.

If she does have it done then it would be a good idea to have the head resurfaced before the new gaskets are installed as there may be some head warpage.

Cheers
Zaze

·
Registered
43 Posts
Fuel injector

Relieve fuel pressure by a) removing the gas cap and b) removing the blue relay behind the glove compartment

fuel003.jpg
To remove the relay, slide in small straight tip screwdriver between the clip and the relay then pull it out. Takes some effort.
fuel002.jpg

To clean the injectors, I put solvent in a bottle and taped it to a sander. Thanks to numerous videos on the net improvising ultrasonic cleaners.
Video link: https://youtu.be/sCkjmRjL_b4

There are 3 O-rings.
2 large ones for the top and middle for the fuel rail. One small for the bottom (intake manifold)
fuel014.jpg

Cap to help put the middle o-ring. There is a small built in ramp also in case this cap gets lost. The yellow wire-tie did not work as well as the cap so I just used the ramp.

Honda doesn't sell the O-rings separately. A new fuel injector comes with them but costs something ridiculous (close to $500. There are people selling engi0nes for that much).
fuel010.jpg

O-rings Beck-Arnley, part number : 158-0889. Cost $30 with shipping. I could have got the injectors professionally cleaned / new o-rings /shipped for about $80.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Everyone,
I have a 2014 CR-V with just 43000 miles.
Turn the CRV around to point it out of my drive.
Went to bed,got up, turns over but will not start.

I have the CRV at the Streetsboro Ohio Classic Honda dealer not.

Tech wanted to know if I jumped the vehicle. I said no.
At this moment, there is no connection to the computer. NO signal at all.

Has anyone hear of this problem?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts