Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the forum. Just purchased a 2007 EX-L. I just love it. I am in the process of installing aftermarket speakers. I have had some luck with taking off the door panels but am at wits end trying to remove the tweeter grills in the upper dash. Has anyone replaced the tweeters and how did you remove the grills. Any info on this would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ya, if you figure out how to do that post back here I'd like to do the same. BTW What kinda speakers are you installing? I was looking at the Alpine SPR-17C. Are you replacing all 4? I also noticed there is basically no sound coming from the rear ones on my EX. By replacing the speakers will it be louder??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tweeter Access

Redrum

This post might be a little long but with good information. I figured out how to get the tweeter grills out. I think I have attached a diagram to give you an idea of what to expect. First, make sure you put masking tape (on the dash) around the tweeter grill for dash protection. Then, get a hard thin plastic putty knife and pry the grill from the dash. the grill has 4 corner clips that snap into the dash. Be very careful when prying as to not damage the surface of the dash and tweeter grill. It is actually a pretty easy job, just be careful.

The tweeter itself is attacted to the underside of the grill. It has its own capacitor attacted to the tweeter. Everything I have read states that you need to unhook the (-) terminal on the battery before you unplug the tweeter from its harness. Just to be on the safe side I would do it. You don't need any short circuits. Just make sure you have the security code for the radio and its preset before you disconnect.

Here are a couple of good opinions I have gotten from Robogeek and Nameeri on another forum. Hope it helps.

Just FYI, Im not sure how you remove the tweeters without having to take major parts of the dash apart. If there is no easy way to remove them, I recommend that you just keep them as is and swap out the drivers in the door with some decent 6.5".

Remember that the tweeter wires are just split off of the main speaker wires underdash.....

The neatest way to hook up new tweeters in the stock location would be to buy a male and female radio wiring harness adapter, and put the crossovers in the dash behind the radio. You would then use the stock wires to the front door speakers, and run new wires to the dash tweeters.

Since most crossovers are fairly small and light, you could probably just wire-tie them under the dash.

Since the glove box comes out easily to change the cabin air filter, you might put them behind the glove box, so you can get to them if you need to adjust them (just stay away from the yellow airbag wiring!)

If you're getting rid of the stock head unit, then you would only need a regular wiring harness adapter, not the reverse one as well.

If you put the crossovers in the doors, then you would have to run new tweeter wires from the doors to the dash, which would not be much fun. Plus there's more room under the dash, and less chance for a rattle. Plus the parts in the door can get wet.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What type of speakers?

Redrum,

I actually got a great deal on some polk sr6500's. I don't know if you have taken off the door panel yet but here's what I have noticed. You will probably have to make some of your own speaker spacers since the stock speaker has its own 1" built in spacer.

I have also noticed that there seems to be no sound coming from the rear. I am really not going to worry about that right now since I don't sit in the back. I might do something later but, for now, it works for me. I only wish the V had more bass. I really don't want to get a sub because of limited room in the back cargo area but it definately needs something. I'm going to go up to the dealership and listen to a V with a bass system installed. Some say it sounds okay for just a little bass but others say it's worthless. I really don't know yet if switching out the stocks will sound any better but it would definately be worth a try. Most say you need to switch out the HU too. As of now, I don't want to switch out the OEM HU but may down the road.

I would also suggest you sound dampen your doors. Many have said the sound quality is well worth it. It you have any other questions or ideas don't hesitate to ask.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts