Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Bingo on a couple issues. Those run flats are expensive with a harsh ride and are NOT offered on the CRV-Hybrid. And those fix-it cans, you need to tell the tire repair shop that you used it, toxic chemicals?

Ahh, the good old days when all manufacturers included REAL full size tires with their vehicles.
Yet again, thanks for all replies.
Acadia

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Many new cars no longer have spare tires - they have gone to the run-flat tires.
Spare tires add weight and car makers are trying to get rid of weight.
I have a 2016 and I have a full sized spare - I surrounded the spare tire well with 2x2 wooden frame and the rear deck sits on top.
No one seems to miss the 2 inches that it takes to add the full sized spare - Honda could not lower the tire well 2 inches as it would hit the rear suspension.
Run flat tires are extremely expensive, and they only last about 50 miles or so with zero air. They are a solution of choice by some premium car brands, but when the tires cost 2-4x what a regular tire costs.. and are still ending up destroyed by something more severe then a simple puncture... owners are generally angry about it.

A friend of ours owns an Audi A4. Came with run-flats, and she lost one to a road hazard. Dealer price= $600 (though you can get them online for about half that of course).... but it gets worse... dealer advised here that she had to replace all four.. not just the failed one... so she was very upset about the outcome, after initially loving the idea of run-flats instead of a spare. She did end up buying a full set for $1200 off of Amazon and then paid a local tire shop to install them. Audi dealer wanted almost $2700 for the same result.

If my next vehicle (which will be a compact SUV, and probably a CRV) has no spare.. I will be buying and placing a spare in my cargo hold... which further argues in favor of a CRV.. since it generally has best in class cargo space. For an SUV.. a covered spare tire enclosure in the cargo rack above would work too.. and that may in fact become an after market thing for the SUV/CUV market in coming years... as this is ripe for enterprising entreprenurs to go after.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Those fix-a-flat cans usually destroy the TPMS equipment, so if you use one, expect to have to buy a whole new sensor assembly, even if the tire itself is actually salvageable with a proper patch.
That would be a good point about the TPMS sensor in these cars getting trashed by fix-a-flat, if only these cars had TPMS sensors.

Gen 5 CRVs do NOT have air pressure sensors in the tires.

Fix-a-flat will make a big mess all over the unlucky sonofabitch who gets to dismount the tire, but I don't think it will damage anything.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
williamsji: As I understand it (and do NOT trust my aging brain) all 2020's will have a spare except for the hybrid.
Acadia

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
williamsji: As I understand it (and do NOT trust my aging brain) all 2020's will have a spare except for the hybrid.
Acadia
I think you are right about this, but it still needs to be confirmed. Heh.. I should have checked when I was at the dealers to have my wifes Accord serviced this morning.... Doh! They had a mix of 2019s and 2020s on the lot, but apparently my curiosity sub-rouotine was not running in my brain at that time. :p

I would bet real money though that any future generation CRV will be without a compact spare though. It's something Honda is clearly rolling out on it's new designs.. and it is less expensive for them to put a tire repair inflator kit in rather then a compact spare.. in this very price competitive market segment.

·
Registered
112 Posts
That would be a good point about the TPMS sensor in these cars getting trashed by fix-a-flat, if only these cars had TPMS sensors.

Gen 5 CRVs do NOT have air pressure sensors in the tires.

Fix-a-flat will make a big mess all over the unlucky sonofabitch who gets to dismount the tire, but I don't think it will damage anything.
Then how does the CPU know when a tire is underinflated?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I would guess the donut spare tire is not expensive. IMO if I like a vehicle the spare tire or lack of it will NOT be the deal breaker, its the Savings $$$, Mileage, Efficiency, Reliability... etc.... of the vehicle...; donut spare tire.... cheeeep :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
As I understand it, rotational speed data gathered from the ABS sensors.
Yes. And it does work.
The RR tire on my 2018 Touring picked up a nail and started losing air and the TPMS alerted my wife so she pulled over before the tire was ruined.
She was near home so I went to change it and by the time I got there it was flat.

Lemmee tell you that 18" spare is one heavy sumbeech to change!!

Last time she got a flat on the rear of our other vehicle that tire was shredded to pieces before she stopped!

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I would guess the donut spare tire is not expensive. IMO if I like a vehicle the spare tire or lack of it will NOT be the deal breaker, its the Savings $$$, Mileage, Efficiency, Reliability... etc.... of the vehicle...; donut spare tire.... cheeeep :)
One of the reasons that I will probably go with another CRV is the huge amount of cargo space. Purchasing a spare would obviously kill at least several cubic feet of that space. The new RAV4 Hybrid was able to retain the spare, one would think the usually excellent Honda engineers could have figured out a way. Quite frankly I would go with the RAV4 but almost every review that I read states that the front seats are uncomfortable while everyone raves about the comfort of the CRV plus a little more cargo space.
Acadia

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
~$150 for the wheel and the tire.

Fix-A-Flat Kit ~$30

The difference = +$120 in margin for Honda for the vehicle sale, due to reduced cost to produce and deliver at essentially the same price.

But of course the big driver for the 2020 hybrid is repurposing the existing space used for the spare into a battery storage compartment. This appears to be a simple compromise in approach for an already exisiting gen5 platform as they nominally upgrade it to gen5+

I'm waiting to see what they do with the gen6 CRV... which I expect will be absent a compact spare tire... in favor of a Fix-A-Flat Kit. Why? Because that is the direction that Honda, and other manufacturers appear to be headed... those that are not going the more expensive route of run-flat tires.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Honda has already done that for the hybrid, yuck, but Toyota at least for now is keeping the spare in their hybrid, their engineers figured a way. BUT Honda removing the spare for ALL models in the future ... I just can't believe that a company so up on security and safety would do that. If I am wrong then please someone correct me, we all need to know.
Acadia

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
It's also shown the automobiles.honda.com site:

At the bottom of the Body/Suspension/Chassis section it shows this for LX, EX, EX-L, and Touring models:

Compact Spare TireT155 / 90 D17 112M

I didn't find any details for the Hybrid, other than a "stay informed" form asking for contact information.
It does have a "8-Year High-Voltage Battery Limited Warranty" badge on the Hybrid page, and I also saw "It’s distinctive blue-accented Honda logos reflect its electrified personality."

There was also a picture that I noticed a small print comment: Hybrid Touring shown.

So I am guessing the Hybrid will come in multiple trim levels.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I was really looking forward to the CRV hybrid till I saw this about no spare tire. It is a deal breaker, along with the tires size on it if you get a touring .... Two strikes, ruff ride and no spare

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Found this recently, no spare tire on the hybrid, but I believe this was confirmed above by someone.

Acadia

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm curious. Why would you say a spare tire is "one of the most essential items need(ed) for a real family vehicle"?

Did you know that new Hondas come with free roadside assistance for 3 years, most full-coverage insurance policies include roadside assistance, and there are other services (such as AAA) that many people pay for?

Even if you don't have some type of roadside assistance plan, as long as you have a working cellphone I don't get what the big deal is.

I would bet that a good percentage of drivers don't know how to change their tire in the first place. I would also bet that even for those that do, many would rather call a tow truck than having to deal with the possible danger, dirtiness and inconvenience of changing it themselves.

Of course, if you drive in rural areas with spotty cell coverage and/or that are far away from civilization then I could see a how a spare tire could be pretty important.

With this being said, I do get how changing a flat yourself can be more convenient than having to sit and wait for a tow truck, as long as you have the skills and don't mind getting dirty. I just don't get how it can be that important of a thing in this day and age for a "real family vehicle".
So what is the free roadside assistance good for if they don't have a fitted, balanced, spare tire of the size and wheel design on yours?

I say this as one who took his grandson on a trip to DC last month, had a flat and they had two tires of my brand and size in the entire DC area. It took me two days out of what was supposed to be a three day trip to get back on the road with the appropriate tire. I was 250 miles from home so run flats wouldn't do it.

Now granted it was the first flat I've had in years.

·
Registered
231 Posts
So what is the free roadside assistance good for if they don't have a fitted, balanced, spare tire of the size and wheel design on yours?

I say this as one who took his grandson on a trip to DC last month, had a flat and they had two tires of my brand and size in the entire DC area. It took me two days out of what was supposed to be a three day trip to get back on the road with the appropriate tire. I was 250 miles from home so run flats wouldn't do it.

Now granted it was the first flat I've had in years.
Good point, I hate the donut spare also, I have a 2017 and I got a wheel and tire now I have full size spare under the floor, Now I know I can get back home and get the a flat tire fixed....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm curious. Why would you say a spare tire is "one of the most essential items need(ed) for a real family vehicle"?

Did you know that new Hondas come with free roadside assistance for 3 years, most full-coverage insurance policies include roadside assistance, and there are other services (such as AAA) that many people pay for?

Even if you don't have some type of roadside assistance plan, as long as you have a working cellphone I don't get what the big deal is.

I would bet that a good percentage of drivers don't know how to change their tire in the first place. I would also bet that even for those that do, many would rather call a tow truck than having to deal with the possible danger, dirtiness and inconvenience of changing it themselves.

Of course, if you drive in rural areas with spotty cell coverage and/or that are far away from civilization then I could see a how a spare tire could be pretty important.

With this being said, I do get how changing a flat yourself can be more convenient than having to sit and wait for a tow truck, as long as you have the skills and don't mind getting dirty. I just don't get how it can be that important of a thing in this day and age for a "real family vehicle".
You missed the main point. The problem is that there is no spare to put on the car and you would have to find one in potentially wrong time (middle of night, weekends, etc).

21 - 40 of 65 Posts