Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Previously I've never noted any differences in the newest generation of V's; in just passing a quick glimpse of them nothing ever stood out. However today I wondered my dealers parking lot (waiting for my ride home), taking in all the shiny new metal.

Then I noticed the newer CRVs had additional front end creases (fender and hood); OK, not my cup of tea but not objectionable. BUT then viewing down the lenght of the new CRVs I noticed the protruding rear tail lights: ugh. It strongly reminded me of the Nissan Juke - a very ugly thing (even outdoing the Pontiac Aztec for being Butt Ugly).

Now I realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I'm now glad I settled on an affordable 4th gen V.

MORE OPINION: by the way, the best looking CRV years were the 02-06s; back when they were still manly vehicles / not the current girly-cars.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Previously I've never noted any differences in the newest generation of V's; in just passing a quick glimpse of them nothing ever stood out. However today I wondered my dealers parking lot (waiting for my ride home), taking in all the shiny new metal.

Then I noticed the newer CRVs had additional front end creases (fender and hood); OK, not my cup of tea but not objectionable. BUT then viewing down the lenght of the new CRVs I noticed the protruding rear tail lights: ugh. It strongly reminded me of the Nissan Juke - a very ugly thing (even outdoing the Pontiac Aztec for being Butt Ugly).

Now I realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I'm now glad I settled on an affordable 4th gen V.

MORE OPINION: by the way, the best looking CRV years were the 02-06s; back when they were still manly vehicles / not the current girly-cars.
Ok :)

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts

I can't argue with that. Makes me wonder which is the fluke, the trend towards uglier or the occasional winning style/design. I agree that the Gen2 was the best looking for the CR-V, not only in style but also function. I'd much rather have a nice low-mileage one of those, with a 5-speed, and I would never buy a Gen5, with the horrible engine and CVT and no manual trans option, and all their fancy but unreliable gimmicky complexity. They've gone off the rails and may never come back. The fact that they are currently hot sellers only points a giant flashing neon light to the dumbing down of today's car buyers. Of course, they have limited choices, too, since the entire automotive world seems to have gone down the chute. The coming years will tell the tale, when Gen5's age do not stay on the road like the older models, because they simply won't last.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,018 Posts
I agree with what you are saying but over time it grows on you that was my first thoughts. wished I grabbed a 2016 Crv 4th Gen. if I look ath Ford the Escape that to me is a nicer looking carat a time or two but not wanting to own one Lol

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I think the 5th gen is way nicer than older gens, the lines are more masculine and styling cues segway into the led strip lighting for mmc and 6th gens
(See clarity and insight)

·
Registered
639 Posts
I think everyone agrees that the new Gen 5 is not as nice a design as the Gen 4. I agree that the tail lights sticking out is butt ugly.

I owned 2 previous vehicles with turbos - every turbo vehicle has Oil Dilution - it cannot be avoided as the extra pressure will eventually leak past the piston rings. Almost every high compression engine (diesel) have large capacity oil pans to mitigate this problem - but no - Honda shrunk the oil pan making the problem worse.

I went for a 2016 for the same reason.

Old Man Hondo is spinning in his grave - he was the last to adapt new technology.

Last to have radial tires, dual outside mirrors, factory A/C, factory cruise control, available V6, halogen headlights, fuel injection, key fobs on every US vehicle.

That made Honda very reliable - as everyone else debugged the problems.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
This person just said an 02-06 CRV was "manly". Hot dang I chuckled.

Hell in 2004 you could have bought a Ford Excursion Diesel that got 10 mpg. I might consider that vehicle manly, but the CRV is and always has been an up-sized grocery getter.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I think the 5th Gen crv is the nicest looking cuv out there. Other than the Mazda and Lexus.

I also believe that whatever you own is what you tend to love. So because you don't own a newer Gen car, you tend to find things in the newer Gen you don't like.

·
Registered
653 Posts
The only reason I didn't buy a Gen 4 was the fugly rear-end styling. The bulbous hatchback glass has more than a hint of the bizarre Pontiac Aztec styling and just gives me the creeps.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,918 Posts
You are definitely right about this part. :)

I realized years ago that all car manufacturers follow some common themes as they continue to evolve and release their vehicles into the market. Paint for example.. they all work off of an agreed to standards that they collectively develop and apply. https://www.astm.org/industry/automotive-overview.html Even the selection of paint colors for a given model year are dictated largely by collective agreement. This probably helps with supply chain management and production costs.. so it makes sense.

Body panels, bumpers, grills, lights, etc... these too appear to follow some sort of collective focus and attention across car manufacturers. Currently for example, we see a lot of more aggressive lines and features on quarter panels, hoods, roofs, bumpers, etc. Some of them I really detest (like the massive grill work featured on Lexus right now), but I accept that others like them.

Well.. as a prior owner of an Gen-2 CRV.. I disagree. At that time it was still when SUVs, particularly compact ones were designed as real utility vehicles. Hence the heavy use of rubberized surfaces in the interior, as well as conservative yet robust metal work. But that era is long gone. SUVs now days are designed to replace cars.. and as such.. they adopt features and styling and finish that appeals to former car drivers. In this regard.. the gen-5 CRV is the best so far. The Gen-3 CRV (which I owned one prior to my Gen-5)was really the low point in styling, design, and finish in my view for the CRV line. It was at a time when Honda was shifting from utility to car replacement.. and they had not quite figured it all out yet.

Personally, I think the Gen-5 is the best CRV to date in terms of styling, finish, and features. Much better refined then Gen-3 (I never owned a Gen-4). The various dips, peaks, bends, you see on the new generation are there for structural integrity of the parts over the life of the vehicle. On the one hand, it bothers me that they keep using thinner metals and more and more plastics... on the other hand... I admire what they are able to do in maintaining the long term integrity of the vehicle with their most modern production designs.

As for those tail lights... yeah.. those appear to be pretty binary with owners :)... you either hate them, or you don't really care. I'm in the don't care category.... as long as they are designed well and serve their purpose in terms of safety.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I hated the Gen3 styling when it came out. Really did. Then bought one. Now I have nothing but warm feelings about it.

The Gen4 is a bit meh. Average looking.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Is there a website out there that has pictures of all the various Honda CRV model years/Gens we can all peruse for fun and comparison?

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I saw the 2017 redesign, I hurried to my local Honda dealer and bought a 2016 EX-L in "Mountain Air Metallic", and haven't regretted it! (y)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts