Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my hitch installed by UHaul a week ago on my 2006 EX, and now when the V gets above 50mph, I hear a clunking noise. I took it to Honda who confirmed the muffler is bumping against the hitch and there are no other issues with the V.

I had a slight rattling sound at idle when I first got the hitch, and I bent the muffler hanger 1-2mm to get rid of that.

Does anyone else have the UHaul square tube hitch installed, and if so, are you getting a thumping sound? If you're not getting the sound, do you have the factory muffler installed?

I'm afraid my only option may be to take it back to UHaul to have them remove the hitch.

·
Registered
716 Posts
check the rubber hangers yourself and see if they're all the way "in".
sometimes it's just a matter of adjusting the rubber hangers and moving the muffler over a bit more.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the muffler was hitting the hitch in two spots. First, it was hitting a piece of angle support on the hitch on the very rear lip of the muffler. Second, it was hitting in the middle of the muffler on the hitch bolt closest to the front of the vehicle.

A crowbar, a hammer, and 15 minutes later, I had the muffler hangers bent further upward (and thereby dropping the muffler about 1/4").

Once again, all noise is gone. It's nice to have a quiet V with towing capability (and a lifetime of satellite radio)!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Had a similar problem with my Curt hitch. Used some zip ties to lower the rubber H- hangers and it works fine. Muffler moves around a bit more if you kick it and such but it's not going anywhere.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that comment. I was thinking I was the only one experiencing this. I'm hoping a 3rd party muffler will fix this (when the muffler fails, of course).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.