Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Pedro in another thread for the tip about the UltraGauge. I ordered the MX 1.3 model just recently and have had a chance to play with it a bit. Here is a mini review in bullet form. I'm also calling out for other UltraGauge owners to share any codes/PIDs to access sensors such as transmission temperature and engine misfire count.

• Model MX 1.3 purchased September 2015
  • Smaller than I envisaged it would be (a good thing). About the size of a credit card and thickness of 10 stacked credit cards.
  • Feels well built. On-line manual with quiz is unique if not a bit irritating.
  • Works well overall and fun to use. It found 51/110 gauges on my 2015 CRV Touring. Many of these are derivatives of each other but still a lengthy list.
  • The MX feature gives the tech-minded user the option to program the device for new sensors discovered by the community. None of the built-in set of 8 Honda additional sensors worked on my 2015 CRV. UltraGauge clearly warns you at purchase time that this is a reverse engineering game and some or all MX extensions may not work. I wrote tech support and they echoed this and suggested the Honda set were for older models (e.g., 2008).
  • I still value the MX feature as I am hoping the community will identify the codes for sensors such as transmission temperature and count of engine misfires. PLEASE SHARE ANY IF YOU KNOW THEM!!!! LET'S USE THIS THREAD TO GATHER THEM!
  • Setup is relatively straightforward. The manual is good and explains the basics of each sensor which is fun if you are interested in technology and how engines work. Expect to spend time reading and exploring all that can be done.
  • Cool feature: the device has optional alarms on each sensor and will also ring an alarm if the engine control unit (ECU) posts an error code or posts one that is pending (something observed to "keep an eye on" but not warranting illumination of the check engine light).
  • Overall: recommended
Below is a list of the sensors I programmed into the 7 screens. To make the most of the unit, it was best to discover what gauges were available on my 2015 CRV Touring, decide which ones I wanted to monitor, and then decide how to organize them across the screens. A bit tedious of a process so I hope this list is useful to others. The unit automatically advances through the screens every ten seconds (user adjustable).

Also attached are some pictures of the unit's screens. I will eventually mount it on the dashboard but for now just have it propped up on the frame of the instrument cluster.

Hope this is useful and please share any codes/PIDs you have for Honda CRVs!

Peter

---

UltraGauge Setup
2015 Honda CRV Touring
Fuel sensor is automatic
Fuel tank is 58 liters
Engine size is 2.4 litres

Screen 1: Driving Basics
- RPM
- KPH
- Engine coolant temperature
- ECM battery voltage
- Instantaneous KPL
- KM driven with CEL on

Screen 2: Engine Air Parameters
- Intake air temperature oC
- Intake manifold absolute pressure (MPA) kPa
- Mass airflow sensor 1
- Boost pressure relative pressure kPa
- AFR commanded ratio (commanded air fuel ratio - compare with lambda)
- Bank 1 Wide Oxygen Sensor Lambda (measured fuel ratio)

Screen 3: Temperatures
- Engine coolant temperature
- Catalytic converter Bank 1 Sensor 1 temperature oC
- UltraGauge internal temperature

Screen 4: Fuel Information
- Fuel level % of full
- Fuel level litres
- Fuel pressure (diesel) 10kPa
- Evaporative vapour pressure
- Short term fuel trim bank 1
- Long term fuel trim bank 1

Screen 5: Engine Power
[The following 3 items must be adjacent in this order]
[Honda CRV engine is 2.4L; 185 HP @ 6400 rpm; 181 lbs ft @ 3900 rpm]
- Horsepower 1
- Torque 1 N.m
- % Engine load
- Load absolute
- Relative throttle position 1 (automatically calibrated to zero)
- Command throttle position

Screen 6: Environment
- ECM battery voltage
- Barometric pressure
- UltraGauge internal temperature
- Outside ambient air temperature oC (probably not available)

Screen 7: Short trip gauges
- Run time
- Kilometers
- Average KPH
- Average KPL
- Average Litres/Hour
- Litres used

[Not using]
- Evaporative Purge %
- Timing advance

20150914-204234p.jpg 20150914-204224p.jpg 20150914-204214p.jpg 20150914-204154p.jpg 20150914-204144p.jpg 20150914-204139p.jpg

·
Registered
868 Posts
I considered getting something like that years ago. Decided against it. Have not changed my mind looking at the details in Peter's thread. Do I really want to know all those parameters? Why would I? Do I have any control over them? Just more stuff to take my attention off the road. Too many toys already.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do I really want to know all those parameters? Why would I?
I think it appeals to those of us who have an strong desire to understand and observe how something works. I'm frequently taking things apart, improving them, and reading on how machines are engineered. This gadget provides insight on the inner workings of a pretty complex machine.

Peter

·
Registered
548 Posts
Hi there 2CRV,

It is good to hear that the UltraGauge is doing what you expected of it, as I said, I originally bought mine to monitor the Coolant Temp in my 2003 XS Forester as the OEM is unreliable in the fact that once it hits the red (very short time) you can almost be certain that your engine will be dead.

I haven't fitted my v1.1 to the CRV (yet) as "The Minister for War & Finance" ;) (wife), almost went ballistic as it was when I mounted an ITB100 HD Dashcam in the CRV.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Had an ultra gauge for many years in my Lexus. Then when I installed it in my CRV it just did not want to work right. Sometimes it would be fine other times it would crash. In the end the screen died and the buttons in the back feel off. I threw it away but I do want another one as I always did find it very useful.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's fun to watch the coolant temperature rise during normal engine warm-up. For obvious reasons it always starts at the car's reported ambient temperature and then rises to about 80C.

The air intake temperature also rises from just above ambient (for some reason) to about 5 to 10 degrees above ambient once the engine has warmed up. My guess is the environment around the intake heats the incoming air.

The exhaust temperature rises quite quickly and settles in and around 300C.

I wish I could monitor oil temperature and pressure but so far the codes for these are not known. If someone discovers them my UltraGauge has a way of entering them.

Peter

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had an ultra gauge for many years in my Lexus. Then when I installed it in my CRV it just did not want to work right. Sometimes it would be fine other times it would crash. In the end the screen died and the buttons in the back feel off. I threw it away but I do want another one as I always did find it very useful.
So far so good with mine. Time will tell. Just heading into winter so that will be a test on reliability. Peter

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've been looking at these mostly for MPG since I have an older CRV which doesn't have an OEM display for it. Two of the highest rated ones are scangauge & ultragauge. Scangauge has an E model ($100) & the II (which is $170) with more features like being able to read & clear codes. The ultragauge is $70 and appears to have a lot more display options/variables and a bigger display which shows 6 or 7 values at once per page.

Theres also a lot of wireless OBD2 devices which allow you to use your cell phone as a display. For droids, theres a better app (torque pro) than for IOS/iPhones. Also, droids seem to have more bluetooth connected options while iPhones tend to use wifi to connect which has more glitches like cutting out frequently. Since I have an iPhone, I'm not bothering with this route & will most likely get an ultragauge.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's a consideration for your intended application. For some reason my ultraguage and speedometer do not agree by a small amount when driving at highway speeds. My speedometer agrees with my GPS so my suspicion is the Ultraguage is slightly inaccurate. Seems strange given the Ultraguage is apparently just picking up a value from somewhere in the ECM. When driving 110 km/hr the ultraguage will be off 1 or 2 km/h (I forget if it is plus or minus). I think this may have an impact on all other UIltraguage featues (MPG, etc.). Peter

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, stock sized tires (18"on my Touring CRV). Ultraguage is current software as of purchase time (a few months ago). Peter

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well, it still seems like a minuscule or negligible amount but it could add up I.
I have heard on some year models, that the speedometers actually reflected negligibly higher speeds and that every x number of miles the odometer compensated. Don't know if it was some urban legend or whatever, but at least its not more than a 1-2km variance I suppose.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, the difference is only a few percent, but it is annoying. I have my CRV set up such that the trip meter zeros on every car ignition event. On any given outing I can watch a gap slowly growing between the CRV's odometer and the trip meter in the Ultraguage. I would find that unsatisfactory if I were watching gas mileage very carefully. Peter

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I doubt that very much (although I don't know for sure). I can't imagine a speed sensor in a modern car wearing out. In addition my CRV is only 6 months old (it is a 2015 Touring). And the speedometer matches the speed indicated on my Garmin GPS. My guess is that Ultragauge are getting speed information from a source which is partial or uncalibrated or something.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yeah, that makes sense. I was also thinking that the UG is getting info from the ABS/speed sensor anyway, which is the same place the speedometer & odometer get their info from so they should be the same and since they're slightly off its gotta be the UG. Wonder if there's a calibration to correct it?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts