Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

The other night a broken beer bottle punctured the sidewall of my rear right tire. It was obviously not repairable. I had 4 new tires put on less than 5,000 miles ago. When I went to Costco to have the tire replaced, the salesman told me that the replacement is pro-rated based on usable tread left, and since I had 100% usable tread I would not have to pay. He said this meant I shouldn't have any problems with the new tires not matching the tread wear of the other tires, as there was 100% tread remaining. This is obviously not possible, as some tread must be worn after 4k+ miles.

My first question is if I should be fine with the one brand new tire on the car with the 3 not-quite-new tires. It is an AWD model, and I know all 4 tires are supposed to match. I'm guessing it will be fine since the tires are so new, but I would like some reassurance. I have never replaced fewer than 2 tires before.

Assuming it is okay, my next question regards my next (first) rotation. How long should I wait before rotating? I figured since the car only gives power to the front wheels most of the time, they should wear faster. Should I rotate the newer tire up front sooner rather than later? One salesman told me I should get my rotation a little earlier than scheduled, the other one told me I should wait another 4,000 miles (about 8,500 miles for the other tires) because of the new tire. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Been through this myself in recent years. It is the actual tire brand/model that matters most... due to needing matching tread designs on AWD vehicles.

As long as it is the same brand and model tire, no issue. I replaced one with about 8K on it and it was no issue at all.

Besides...4K on fresh good quality tires from Costco, or any major tire store is going to be essentially brand new from treadwear perspective. I'd be surprised if more then 1/32 of treadwear at that low mileage, which will have no effect on vehicle drivability or the AWD traction systems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the exact same issue but probably more tread wear difference. Anybody know what the limit for tread difference would be ok? My spare tire is the exact same as the others.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
rocky
Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums
Honda CR-V Owners Club forum, the best hang-out to discuss CVT, Hybrids, trim levels and all things CR-V
Full Forum Listing