Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Uncomfortable HONDA CRV 2014 SR

Hello everyone,

Before a few months I bought a new 2014 HONDA CRV model SR AWD 2.0 i-VTEC Petrol Manual (UK build). It includes 18" alloy wheels and half alcantara, half leather upholstery with front heated seats. The front seats are mechanical with a lot of adjustments including power lumbar support but there is no tilting option. The tires are MICHELIN Latitude Sport and according to the sign next to the driver’s door the tire inflation pressure should be set to 2.3 BAR (34 PSI).

The problem is that driving in town on a rough surface causes me a horrible back pain. During the 30 minutes test drive on a high way and in town it was comfortable with smooth ride but is was the base model with 17” wheels and with fabric upholstery. As I remember on the dashboard a symbol about the tire pressure was lit, but the Honda person said it was not a problem.

I have no option to return it so my question is how to improve the driving to be more comfortable. I already use a seat cushion and additional mesh lumbar back support. I also have to wear a tight back support belt during my Honda CRV town driving even for 5 minutes in order to withstand the ride.

I do not need any support when I drive Toyota Avensis 2002, Citroen Berlingo 2001, Skoda Octavia 2009 and Renault Megane 2000.

Also I couldn’t find a comfortable seating position. I am 6” (183cm) tall and if I make my legs comfortable with a good underneath support then the steering wheel becomes too far away. In order to make it closer I need to rise my seat but then the ceiling is blocking the traffic lights. Also I have to rise my legs up in order to depress the pedals which is uncomfortable and exhausting. Or I could move forward my back which makes the seating angle very straight even less the 90 degrees.

If I make my distance to the steering wheel comfortable then I have to bend my legs to nearly 90 degrees and to twist them apart. In this case I have no support for them from the bottom part of my seat and the driving becomes very exhausting.

Also when I drive I always feel that there is a tension and my hips are slipping forward. My legs are opposing this which is definitely one of the reason for this back pain.

My question is how do you tune your seats on this vehicle and what else could I do in order to solve my problem?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Too be honest these cars are very uncomfortable. I have a 2000 CRV and short trips are fine, but long trips become uncomfortable. But the tradeoff is good. You get very good gas mileage.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Here is what i do,

Lower the rear end of the seat bottom to it's lowest point
Raise the front end (knee end) of the seat bottom to it's highest point
Then adjust the seat back and distance as needed

Crv seats lack thigh support and this is the best solution if you have a power seat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here is what i do,

Lower the rear end of the seat bottom to it's lowest point
Raise the front end (knee end) of the seat bottom to it's highest point
Then adjust the seat back and distance as needed

Crv seats lack thigh support and this is the best solution if you have a power seat.
I do not have power seats and I have no visible option to rise or lower (tilt) the seat base. What should I do then ?

Also I actually have problem with a short town trips on rougth surface. What are the minimum recommended tire pressure ? Isn't 34 PSI too much ?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Agree with grumpypants, it's personal. The link he posted is a good one. I just added my experience there and my solution. There does seem to be a "break-in" period, for the seat and for the back :) So, keep trying and I am sure you will find a position that works for both. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Agree with grumpypants, it's personal. The link he posted is a good one. I just added my experience there and my solution. There does seem to be a "break-in" period, for the seat and for the back :) So, keep trying and I am sure you will find a position that works for both. Good luck.
Does anyone know how to rise with 1-2 inches the front of my UK build CRV driver's seat which is not a power seat ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts