Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anybody else having problems with the under body shield or center plate coming loose and dragging at high speeds? Mine has come loose 5 times in less than 2 years. I have had to replace it twice already due to damage.

·
Registered
17 Cr-V LX
195 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I had it drop once when I didn't re-attach it properly, but if the anchors are used correctly, it's pretty secure.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I can't see it going anywhere if installed correctly.

You should double check that its inserted correctly and tightened properly(go over each screw twice in circle). Use some locktite blue if you must...

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
^^^This^^^......if installed correctly.

It appears to me the front of the cover should be on top of the plastic parts.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Basically agree with the above there is a way to botch the “install” it appears honda mechanics get bonuses for this. It is $140+part I have no idea how much the labor is.

The plate was free after I showed them they did all my oil changes. Needless to say I did all the work on my car following that waste of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Cr-V LX
195 Posts
I can't see it going anywhere if installed correctly.

You should double check that its inserted correctly and tightened properly(go over each screw twice in circle). Use some locktite blue if you must...
True, but I do not think blue loctite will help with these type of fasteners.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
True, but I do not think blue loctite will help with these type of fasteners.
I use a lock washer under the head of those 3 bolts......haven't lost one since. With regard to those 1/4 turn fasteners, I doubt Locktite would do any good. I've had zero issues with the 1/4 turn fasteners.

i leave mine off, its a PITA to reinstall
Steer clear of water on the road......one good splash and that giant sucking machine could come to a quick stop. I don't think that bottom cover is there for aerodynamics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Basically agree with the above there is a way to botch the “install” it appears honda mechanics get bonuses for this. It is $140+part I have no idea how much the labor is.

The plate was free after I showed them they did all my oil changes. Needless to say I did all the work on my car following that waste of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just took mine off after the 6th time of having it drop down. The dealership service department keeps accusing me of hitting something. Funny thing is, I owned a 2015 and never had the issue once. Feel like I am being taken advantage of The part has already been replaced twice. The dealership has always done the installs and reattached when loose. I really feel like there is a defect in my vehicle that the bolts don’t stay in.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
If you have the proper screwdriver (JIS), then you should be able to apply enough torque to keep the bolts tight and prevent this from happening.

·
Registered
116 Posts
After my last oil change (by the Honda dealership) it started dragging on the highway on my way home from work a few days later. Looking at it, all of the 1/4 turn fasteners were gone and two of the screws. I bent the plate back close to shape, trashed the remaining Honda screws and just replaced the all of them with a 10mm bolts with lock washers. Haven't had any problems without the fasteners in almost 5k miles. After the next oil change (probably next weekend) I'll just crawl under and check that the bolts are tight and if they missed one, throw a new 10mm bolt and lock washer in. I can get half a dozen bolts and lock washers for the price of one of the Honda JIS screws.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I have yet to loose a 1/4 turn fastener.......1/4 turn to the left, it falls out. 1/4 turn to the right, you can feel it stop/lock. Pretty simple.

The 3 threaded bolts.......lost 2 of those. $4 will buy a handful of those (metric thread) at a hardware store. Slide on a lock washer (as mentioned) before installing the 3 threaded bolts.

The front of the metal cover goes on top of the plastic panel.......don’t see how the metal cover can possibly drop down IF it is correctly re-installed on top of the plastic panel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Conspiracy theory: the shields are there as a recurring, high profit item for the OEMs and dealers. :p I've never understood the need or purpose of them. They don't provide any protection, outside of basic water or dust.

I've hated the shield on every vehicle I've had that used one. PIA at oil change time and they all seem to fall down at some point. Look around, you'll see lots of cars driving toward you in the opposite lane with them dangling.

After replacing the shield on a VW Passat a couple of times many years ago, I asked around at the dealer. No one could tell me why they were important. Some speculated that it helped with air flow around the engine--the VW had ports that directed air up from beneath the vehicle. When our current VW's finally broke free at around year 9 (admittedly a good run), I just took the thing off and chunked it. The vehicle is still running just fine at year 12 with 209K miles.

The shield issue is one of the reasons why I do my own oil changes in all my vehicles. Those guys as the oil change places just can't seem to get them back on securely.

The CRV's shield seems to be sturdier than others I've seen made purely of plastic. And the fasteners seem better compared to others I've seen. Knock on wood, I haven't had any problems. As soon as I do, it's coming off and I won't be purchasing a replacement.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Has anyone seen a car hit water hard enough that the car almost disappears behind the plume of water sent airborne by the front tires/wheels? Aren't both of those plumes of water, you can easily see, on the outside of the front wheels? Aren't there also 2 plumes of water sent airborne on the inside of both front tires/wheels, that you do not see? Have you asked yourself why you don't see the 2 airborne plumes of water from the inside of the tires/wheels? It does not take a lot of water or a lot od speed.

I'm thinking that the reason you don't see those 2 inside plumes of water is because the bottom engine cover redirects those 2 inside plumes of water, from the inside of the tires, back down to the road surface. If the bottom engine cover is missing, then the underside of the hood is what stops those inside plumes of water from being visible..........no????

What's between the underside of the hood and the topside of that bottom engine cover?.... (turblow intake, maybe?)?‍♂

The front of the metal cover goes on top of the plastic and the rear of the metal cover goes below the plastic. There's also a little hookie thing, kinda toward the passenger side, to help hold the metal cover in place while installing the fasteners.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Funny, I just came here to ask if others keep losing the lower shield bolts (the threaded bolts, not the quarter-turn clips)... I just changed my oil, and once again, I'm down a bolt. The one in back (that screws through the shield into something solid) is fine, but the front two that just go through the plastic into the shield itself keep coming out. They're about $1 each with tax at my dealer, but it is annoying to keep going back and buying more (probably will buy 2-3 this time).

I've only lost one at a time, so I haven't had a problem with the shield dropping, but it just seems weird that they keep falling out. I try not to over-tighten (since that'll just crimp and/or break the plastic it's going through), but guess I'm being too careful?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I would be tempted to take one of the bolts to my local hardware store and try to find a replacement that is the same length, but that has threads that are a little wider.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Those 3 threaded bolts are metric thread. Take one to your local hardware store and use the store’s thread gauge to determine what metric bolt you need. Put a lock/split washer on each bolt.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts