Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 99 v and the only rust on it at all is just along the very bottom of the doors and a small spot on the outside of the passenger door bottom. I asked a body shop about fixing it and they said that in the spots it is in i should just price replacement doors at a junkyard that are not rusty. Is there any other fix that would work? I know the answer is probably very obvious but has anyone done anything that would be considered custom to fix this and enhance the look of their V?

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
Do you have pictures of the rusted areas?

If the rust is along the seam of where the outer skin attaches to the inner shell depending on how bad the rust is you may be able to have new skins put on but finding used doors may be a more economical and practical solution.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is where the outside of the door meets the inside. I know when rust starts its like cancer and continues to spread unless cut out. I have seen a picture of a car that had metal trim like pieces that wrapped under the door and was either welded or riveted in. It made the car doors look cool and i wondered if it was only for looks or if maybe it was a cool way of customizing the door while also fixing a rust issue. It seems like my v has enough of a space to bend thin metal under and not affect the clearance of the door. I might be misleading myself assuming that what i saw was in fact what I'm interpreting it as but nonetheless it seems like that could be done.

·
Registered
236 Posts
It is where the outside of the door meets the inside. I know when rust starts its like cancer and continues to spread unless cut out. I have seen a picture of a car that had metal trim like pieces that wrapped under the door and was either welded or riveted in. It made the car doors look cool and i wondered if it was only for looks or if maybe it was a cool way of customizing the door while also fixing a rust issue. It seems like my v has enough of a space to bend thin metal under and not affect the clearance of the door. I might be misleading myself assuming that what i saw was in fact what I'm interpreting it as but nonetheless it seems like that could be done.
A trim cover on the lower part of the door is simply a cover up. The door will continue to rust underneath the trim. Fixing the rusted area is cost prohibitive. The idea of swapping out the doors with non-rusted ones is not a bad idea and the cheapest way to go. You could paint them yourself and save even more money. Your car is 15 yrs old and not worth an expensive fix.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Doubt you'd find unrusted doors that old, as the hinges aged, they started sagging and the rust is a result of it rubbing every time you opened the doors.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
So the rust is along the pinch weld along the bottom of the door? Sounds like the drain holes at the bottom of the doors got plugged. Really nothing you can do except replace the doors as the suggested.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts