Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire rotation revealed both rear original equipment were cupped. My good hearing wife first advised me of tire noise at 9k miles, at 15k the sound was clear to all. Service tech had mechanic drive car who just confirmed the noise was tires and inspection confirmed cupping "but there is still good tread ". I wanted to know why it was cupping, didn't want replacement tires doing the same thing. "I am sooo sorry but it is those hanuck (?) They put on new cars". I'm concerned that some defect in the rear wheels may be the problem. Tire dealership did alignment and results were perfect. Ideas???

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Can you post pics?........our Hancooks look new F and R at 14K+ miles.

Reactions: williamsji

·
Registered
359 Posts
Typically you need a four wheel alignment, and then not just looking at a pass or fail, but looking at the tire wear pattern to make the final adjustments.

The alignment can be “in spec” but still not correct for your vehicle.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
What brand of OEM tire is on your CRV?

There have been some reports of this, and Honda has acknowledged they are looking into cause. When/if they find a defect as cause.. a TSB will result at some point. Timeframe is unknown.

I can only report the same results on my Hankooks as crv383. they are wearing very well, very even, and still have great treadlife.. which is a bit unusual for an OEM tire from the factory these days.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Wasn't there a recent post of something like 42K mile on a set of OE Hancooks?

I'm thinking if the OP's tires were rotated and the cupping started again on the rears (that were on the front), that would prove a car problem.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
Wasn't there a recent post of something like 42K mile on a set of OE Hancooks?

I'm thinking if the OP's tires were rotated and the cupping started again on the rears (that were on the front), that would prove a car problem.
Cupping can be caused by an issue on the vehicle.. OR.. the tires themselves. Which is why I asked what brand OEM tire was on the original posters vehicle.

A great rundown on tire cupping causes can be found here: https://www.utires.com/articles/back-tires-cupping/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks...did all that but I didn't spell out the details. I suppose my real question is why on both rear wheels at equally? Shocks not mounted properly? Hankooks...and they run hard and loud.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,804 Posts
why on both rear wheels at equally?
With independent rear suspensions, some alignment parameters can cause cupping. So can drag.

Suggest getting the alignment checked (and, be SURE to mention that you see the cupping issue). I don't think that Honda will pay for it without a fight (they warranty alignment for 12K miles, IIRC).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts