Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced unwanted acceleration when breaking with their 2011 crv?

This issue that I am referring to seems to occur when the vehicle is stopped, then for some reason it accelerates on it's own, even though the drivers foot is on the break.
I ask because I am interested in purchasing a 2011 CRV but when I visit carcomplaints.com, they list the 2011 crv as a CLUNKER due to the fact that they received so many complaints about this dangerous issue. Apparently many people have crashed their vehicles due to this.

When I ask dealers about this issue none of them seem to be aware of this.
I am not sure who to trust so I wanted to get feedback from actual owners of the vehicle.
I am wondering if this is an issue with all 2011s or simply a very small percentage of them.

I am a huge fan of the CRV and I am anxious to purchase one soon:)

Thanks so much for your feedback.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a 2011 crv -if I was holding the brake pedal firmly the car would not be able to move -it could not over power brakes so i think operator error is very likely.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bobcat20,

Normally I would agree with you but if you read the 20 + comments that relate to this problem on the 2011 CRV carcomplaints.com page you will see that people specifically address the fact that IT WAS NOT DRIVER ERROR. We are talking about people with 20+ years of driving experience. It seemed that Honda's investigations never discovered any problems so they always conclude that it is driver error. The odds of having so many complaints about one specific model and year makes driver error seem incorrect.

Even if this is a problem with this model, I am trying to understand if this is a problem with a select few vehicles or a larger majority of the 2011 models.

I guess you (Bobcat20) have never had any problems such as this with your vehicle right?

I am also hoping that other 2011 CRV owners on this forum can chime in and offer their thoughts and experiences, if any, regarding this problem with their own vehicles.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hey Rich, I did look at car complaints site on 2011 crv and dont really know what to make of it -not enough detail or follow up -I could see how many of those could be driver error- many years experience doesnt necessarily equate to good, calm driving skills. Now crv from 2005 on are drive by wire so it is possible I guess that some electrical/computer glitch could cause engine to rev but brakes should easily hold car back so these reports are implying that 2 separate systems failed to perform at the same time-possible but so is winning the lottery.I think if it was a real concern you would see people on this site having the issue.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Hey Rich, I did look at car complaints site on 2011 crv and dont really know what to make of it -not enough detail or follow up -I could see how many of those could be driver error- many years experience doesnt necessarily equate to good, calm driving skills. Now crv from 2005 on are drive by wire so it is possible I guess that some electrical/computer glitch could cause engine to rev but brakes should easily hold car back so these reports are implying that 2 separate systems failed to perform at the same time-possible but so is winning the lottery.I think if it was a real concern you would see people on this site having the issue.
I agree with you bobcat20. There are instances of people in various brands of cars running into buildings, etc. and stating that they were braking when in fact they were not. They don't want to admit the 'accident' was their fault. Blame the car for a supposed malfunction. The easy way out. The last thing people want to say is .... it was my fault......I goofed and made a mistake. So, I too believe if it was happening we all would read about it from many sources. Remember the accelerator issues from said faulty floor mats? That too proved out to be the drivers fault for not having the mat secured where it belongs. Owners have responsibilities too. ...just sayin'.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I like Bob's reply about the CRV's engine not being able to over power its brakes.

Honda has a big power assist on disc brakes at all four corners of the CRV. If ABS weren't present these four discs could rather easily lock all four well-treaded tires on grippy pavement. I don't think that the wee 4-banger in the CRV could overpower those brakes.

And considering how common driver error is with all other aspects of car operation, why not admit to some error in the pedal well. In fact the pedals are done entirely by feel and familiarity and not by sight, which means prone to error. Throw in some clunky winter footware and some cold numb feet, and the "feel" is lost.

Often when I'm driving, I do it sock or barefoot, just to get the pedal feel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The facts seem to point to something other than driver error when you look at how many times this seemed to happen only to the 2011 model. As I said before, car complaints gave the 2011 model a "beware of the clunker" rating and you can see on carcomplaints website under the 2011 model.

Here's an idea...
Can owners of the 2011 CRV reply to this thread with either:
A) they have experienced this problem.
or
b) they have not experienced this problem.

This way we can get a real consensus rather that a random report from carcomplaints.com

Thoughts?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've seen all of this information some time ago, and have been curious as to what to make of it. Mine is a 2011 and I have keep this in the back of my mind. For the record I've yet to have a problem, but who's to say if & when it could I guess.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The facts seem to point to something other than driver error when you look at how many times this seemed to happen only to the 2011 model. As I said before, car complaints gave the 2011 model a "beware of the clunker" rating and you can see on carcomplaints website under the 2011 model.

Here's an idea...
Can owners of the 2011 CRV reply to this thread with either:
A) they have experienced this problem.
or
b) they have not experienced this problem.

This way we can get a real consensus rather that a random report from carcomplaints.com

Thoughts?
If 2011 is not good for you, just go for another year. It is so easy. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts