Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2017 CR-V Touring and have been reading that Honda has fixes for some problems by updating the firmware. I'm not experiencing any real problems however some fixes seem to speedup functions on the screen etc. Will the dealer do the upgrade even without any obvious problems to report?

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
From what I have been reading it seems like some of the dealers will do updates while other dealers deny that updates even exist! You really have to check your local dealer or call the Honda Hotline and find out which of the dealers nearest to you has the updates. You should check your head unit and make sure you have your firmware version along with your VIN when making enquiries.

Rob

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been experiencing some issues listening to SiriusXM on my 2017 CR-V. On occasion the audio system will just turn itself off. After a few seconds it might turn itself back on. If not then I can turn it back on pressing the volume knob. This, along with a few other glitches, caused me to bring it in to the dealer last week. I was told then there are currently no updates to the system, I'm running 1.F193.05. The technicians simply rebooted the system for me and hoped that would resolve the issue. The very next day I had the same problem with the audio system shutting down, only this time I couldn't get it to turn back on. The audio froze up completely. After running a few errands and restarting the car a few times SiriusXM eventually came back on without any input from me. Brought it back to the dealer. The technicians could not duplicate the problem, however, I was told an update to the audio system was coming soon. Unfortunately my advisor couldn't be more specific than this.

I've had many of the other problems with the audio system mentioned in other threads on this forum. I've owned my CR-V since March of 2017 so I think it's high time for Honda to get on the ball and push out this update.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Honda issues infotainment updates for cars (prior to the ‘18 Oddity) by issuing TSBs and sending a magic USB thumb drive to the dealers, all of them, for that update. They discourage actively, and by their warranty claim approval/payment process, dealers from updating any firmware, infotainment or otherwise, unless customer exhibits/can demonstrate they are having one of the issues described in the TSB. So the dealer personnel have to be familiar with the TSBs and willing/caring about customer issues to apply the TSB fix. Some dealers are better than others. None volunteer updates in my experience unless Honda has created an all-effected campaign or a recall.

Honda may or may not ever issue an update for the CR-V infotainment. Their track record in these regards is not great. If they do, we will then need to find out about it—Honda doesn’t want us customers knowing—and then finding out what it supposedly fixes then finding cooperative dealers a) willing to accept the complaint, b) aware of the TSB, and c) willing to put the update on.

It shouldn’t be this hard and YMMV. But I suspect many owners with Honda firmware experience will think that sounds familiar.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Where do you see the firmware version? Is the one in the infotainment is the version of the system and not the android version?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Where do you see the firmware version? Is the one in the infotainment is the version of the system and not the android version?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
There are a couple of ways but the easiest is: Home Screen/Info/System Device Information/ System Info. Applications Ver# is what you're looking for.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I am reluctant to have the system updated in my '17 Touring. Why? Simply because its working properly. The cruise control holds set speed within 1 MPH and is always smooth. My battery doesn't go dead even though the car may sit for two or three weeks at a time. The fuel economy is wonderful. Everything seems to work as it should. I have seen people do "updates" when they really didn't have a problem only to have problems afterwards. There are reasons for this.

My professional advice after four decades in the industry is simple: If it ain't broke, don't fix it !". I am betting you have heard that before....and its true.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I am reluctant to have the system updated in my '17 Touring. Why? Simply because its working properly. The cruise control holds set speed within 1 MPH and is always smooth. My battery doesn't go dead even though the car may sit for two or three weeks at a time. The fuel economy is wonderful. Everything seems to work as it should. I have seen people do "updates" when they really didn't have a problem only to have problems afterwards. There are reasons for this.

My professional advice after four decades in the industry is simple: If it ain't broke, don't fix it !". I am betting you have heard that before....and its true.

Hey Hans it's nice to see that your back, I hope all is well.
While I agree with you to some extent I do think for those of us who may dig deeper into the system there are some bugs and some enhancements that are needed. The first one that comes to mind is a setting that allows us to turn off the remotes ability to open all the windows and sunroof. This thing is just an accident waiting to happen. As far as bugs go there are some connectivity issues with the BT that I think need to be fixed. It's not annoying enough that I cant live with it, but it would be nice if they just got rid of the occasional problems. I have seen a few other issues that come up once or twice since owning the car, I don't know if they are related to OS bugs or Hondas own apps but it would be nice to also have them fixed if possible.

Rob

·
Registered
313 Posts
The first one that comes to mind is a setting that allows us to turn off the remotes ability to open all the windows and sunroof. This thing is just an accident waiting to happen.
Hondas have worked exactly like this since at least '95. The odds they are going to add a feature are so much lower than the low odds they wilol fix bugs.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Hondas have worked exactly like this since at least '95. The odds they are going to add a feature are so much lower than the low odds they wilol fix bugs.
Hmmm. Interesting statement.

I've owned a 1999, 2006, and now a 2014 CR-V.
All of them had remotes that locked/unlocked the doors, and all had power windows.
None of the remotes rolled down the windows or opened the sunroof on the 2006 or 2104 (the 1999 didn't have a sunroof).

·
Registered
313 Posts
Maybe I'm thinking of the key unlock twist and hold. I though our '07 CR-V did the hold button thing, but I can't find it in the OM. (We've also had an '86 Integra, '88 Accord, '92 Vigor, '92 Civic Si, '95 Integra, '00 CR-V, '04 TL.) Our '09 135i did the hold button thing for sure. So many cars, so many years, so little time.

At any rate, I still think the odds Honda will add a setting for a disable of this behavior to MYs already documented without it is as close to zero as they can get.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Maybe I'm thinking of the key unlock twist and hold. I though our '07 CR-V did the hold button thing, but I can't find it in the OM. (We've also had an '86 Integra, '88 Accord, '92 Vigor, '92 Civic Si, '95 Integra, '00 CR-V, '04 TL.) Our '09 135i did the hold button thing for sure. So many cars, so many years, so little time.

At any rate, I still think the odds Honda will add a setting for a disable of this behavior to MYs already documented without it is as close to zero as they can get.
Times have changed. In the old days they might have been able to do a lot of things and kept it the same for a 5 year model production run. Can you really imagine the Gen 5 CR-V with this same HU in year 2022? Secondly they have the dependencies, will Android Auto or Apple car play on phones coming out in 2022 be able to work with the existing vehicle? I seriously doubt it! None of the car makers can just stay stagnant at this point. I am almost 100% certain they will have to release a new HU before this production cycle is out and they will have to do some upgrades on this one just to keep the connectivity features that they sold working.

Rob

·
Registered
313 Posts
they will have to do some upgrades on this one just to keep the connectivity features that they sold working.
I'll take that bet. They'll just trot out the 2018 compatible phones list and tell you if you have one of those, it will work. My .sig on the CivicX forum is "Honda has become a software company that also sells cars. Too bad they haven't realized it yet."

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I'll take that bet. They'll just trot out the 2018 compatible phones list and tell you if you have one of those, it will work. My .sig on the CivicX forum is "Honda has become a software company that also sells cars. Too bad they haven't realized it yet."
Very true, they all have become software companies to varying extents. The public's appetite for technology has grown to a point I never imagined. If someone had told me 5 years ago that people would reject buying a car model because it did not have Android Auto I would have said your crazy. I guess i am not the only one who did not see this coming. It seems as thought Toyota and some other car companies got it wrong also.

Rob

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm betting there are more k SLOC in a current Honda than there are all other parts combined.

Some car companies are a decade ahead of Honda in this regard. When you drive a BMW into the service line, they take your fob and stick it in a reader (NFC? RFC?) and up pops everything there is to know. When they service your car, they plug it in to Munich and all the backlevel code in all the controllers is identified. Go look at BMW ConnectedDrive. They can sell you CarPlay after the fact. Or look at what Tesla is doing where all the code in the car can get updated OTA.

Sooner or later Honda will get where the leading edge car companies are now. But I bet they will still be a decade behind the leading edge. It's the way Honda rolls. And it's the way Japan in general does software. (I spent a decade working with a Japanese company customer/partner on a large system development including a scad of software. I have some experience in this regard.)

And sooner or later all car companies will have to up their software development/deployment game. Go look at a random set of NHTSA recall reports. Software is becoming a major contributor to overall recall numbers. Just last week FCA announced a recalled of 4.8M (IIRC) vehicles for a cruise control firmware bug. They are probably going to spend $100 a car or so for the campaign and for the dealers to update a handful of flash bits and bytes. You know. Like dozens of apps do on your smartphone in a matter of seconds every day. In at least once case I'm aware of, BMW had to do a safety recall after some bits and bytes they updated and started pushing out, as a customer sat thing for some minor driveability or similar issue, broke a safety compliance function.

Oh, and don't forget: Honda is perfectly happy if you find your 2018 CR-Vs infotainment horribly out of date in a couple of years. Especially if you queue up to buy that nice new 7th gen CR-V that uses the neato CarPlay v4 or AndroidAuto v8 in your neato new Pixel9 or iPhone 18. At some level this is the leading-edge lesson Honda learned from the technology companies before they learned anything about software development and deployment.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Yep I scratched Toyota off my list after seeing they texted Android Auto

And pretty soon Android auto will support wireless and our units will be so outdated in that sense

I'm still upset that Honda has no upgrade path to add nav or hd radio to standard ex-l when it is all software

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I hear about all this cool stuff companies like BMW have.....I must live on a different planet. My brother-in-law has BMW's and he paid vastly more money (Over $10,000 more) to get most of what is standard on my CR-V. I mean BMW charged you $300 if you want your phone to connect to the car to talk. The list goes on and on.

And, believe it or not,there are millions of us out there that are not at all phased by not having our iPhone (that we don't own) magically connect to our cars to steam music. Fact is I am happy that my phone (Samsung) wirelessly connects to my Honda to do phone calls and read text messages to me. Beyond that I wouldn't notice or care. If you want all the most latest features then buy a car that has them. So what if it costs ten grand more.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wonder why they don't release the firmware on their website and let us download/install. I had a Kia Optima before my CRV and that's how Kia handled firmware updates.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts