Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fed up with the sound quality. Ideally, I would like to keep the factory head unit.

Can I simply upgrade the speakers and install them myself? I am trying to do this as economically as possible (most bang for your buck). What speakers would you recommend?

Thanks!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Welcome !! This has been a much-discussed topic in the past here !! Use the search function at the top of the page as some of these guys go into great detail to lay it out for you !! Good luck. Craig

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hi,
You sure can...depending on your skills, using tools, being able to google and watch you tube videos, etc., you should be able to.
The important things to realize and think about before making a purchase is speaker efficiency, size, depth...your factory head unit, similar to after market head units generally have small amps providing only a few watts of power and the factory speakers are extremely efficient speakers, though generally with very little bass, that are very shallow in depth easily fitting in the doors.

I use Crutchfield to give me dimensions for the vehicle I want to upgrade, the factory speaker size, what fits easily, what speakers need a bit of help fitting, etc.

You should be able to fit a pair of 6.5" coaxial speakers in the front doors with little effort besides possible drilling a hole or two as the hole pattern speaker to speaker is usually a bit off but that is easy to do.

Just make sure of two things...don't buy speakers that require a lot of power, not max power but RMS, steady rate power...

Don't buy "cheap"...you always get what you pay for...buy cheap get cheap sound...$100.00 will get you a good pair of speakers...
You will/may need adapter rings for a good fit...again use a site like Crutchfield to see what you may need.

You will get nice sound but that is about it...factory amps don't supply enough power to get a lot of sound but it will sound better with better speakers.
Leave the rear speakers...they really aren't much better and "filling" sound...sound stage is from the front, better off spending more on the fronts.

I started with adding speakers to the front doors of my '12 V LX...sounded nice but I'm used to a lot more power and better sound...added a mini amp by JL audio to the factory head unit and it sounded great but no bass and I'm used to a nice sub...also disliked the way the factory head unit didn't work well with my iphone6 and the blue tooth frankly sucked...replaced head unit and added an amp, upgraded front speakers...ahhhhhhh...see below for the specs.

Good luck and keep us informed

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'v decided I am going to shell out some money for a good sound system.

I am thinking 2 tweeters, 2 replacement front speakers, amp/12" kicker subwoofer. Anyone good with installs or what brand/where to buy the goods?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts