Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our old 97 crv has been pulling the caravan fine on the flat but it's dropping down through the gearbox and revving to 4000 when it hits a hill. I thought 125bhp would be fine (probably is) to pull 1100kg but it's not the torquiest of cars. The later 02 - 07 models are 156bhp but not banging out much torque compared with other Jap SUV's. Before anyone tells me I'm pulling too much and it's illegal - it isn't. The caravan is light enough for the car but at 155k on the clock and a woeful torque figure I need to know if there is a another CRV (auto too and not too expensive) that will pull a caravan. It's due for the MOT tomorrow and it might be academic but I will keep it until I find a decent replacement. Besides, the wife has seen a bigger caravan! Why are there no diesel autos ? Why such a low torque figure? I'm thinking of an 02 -07 2nd gen. John

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
2007 is a Gen 3, which is WAY better for your purpose.

Our old 97 crv has been pulling the caravan fine on the flat but it's dropping down through the gearbox and revving to 4000 when it hits a hill. I thought 125bhp would be fine (probably is) to pull 1100kg ... John
An '07 LX is our first CRV. BIG changes from earlier versions. HP 166 @ 5.800, Torque 161 @ 4,200. And much more cargo space. We looked at CRV's every year since inception but we felt they did not have enough room in the back for three big dogs so we waited. After about 5 minutes in an '07 we bought it in September of 2007, still have it, love it. It has over 85,000 miles and is going strong.

I would not recommend a 2010 or 2011. They had issues with Torgue and hesitation. We have a 2010 and the '07 has much better low-end torque.

2007 Honda CRV has a tow rating of 1500 pounds, 3000 pounds with added trailor brakes.

Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, if it's not designed for towing caravans and other such things then the hundreds of people towing caravans over here in the UK by CRV's don't know that. I've seen one towing a yacht...and plenty of horse boxes. Honda seem quite happy to recommend a towing figure - maybe they should bow to the marvellous insight of some of the forum members.
Oh well, I might have to look elsewhere for a big car. Shame, 'cos I like the old girl. She failed the mot but it's only the front springs and anti roll bushes. That's going to be sorted and I'll keep her for now.. Well, thanks for an informative forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts