Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately a deer ran out in front of my wife a couple of nights ago. Fortunately she is fine, but the grill and bumper are in bad shape. She's out of town, btw, so all I've seen are pictures of the damage. She told me both headlights had moisture inside the housing, but that had disappeared by the following morning. I'm speculating the headlight housing is damaged because of the moisture. Do you think that would be true? Would State Farm agree to replace them because of that?

Beyond that, if they do agree to replace both of the headlight housings, could I get some opinions about asking the collision repair shop to upgrade to the LED bulbs & housings, of course I'd have to pay the difference since they are more expensive. I'm wondering if there is anything more involved than replacing the housing and bulbs? Would my wife and I enjoy the upgrade?

I guess if you have any other comments you'd like to make about getting the repairs done in general, that would be good too.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.
CRV Damage.jpg

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
1,370 Posts
Grill
Radar unit
Calibration
Bezel
Headlights
Maybe mounts
Bumper is cracked
Paint and
Blending
Windshield lower portion looks shattered

best to go through ins gonna be over 5-6k

ins shouldnt have an issue the stock lights brackets are in spots that they snap on impact. So im sure an adjuster will replace both

Now if you want touring lights you can ask the shop to source those but odds are they will clobber you for honda retail plus you’ll need adaptor harness.

retail on the touring lights is about 1300 a pop i paid about $400 all in for my set from a wrecked touring. Ins will only cut the amount of your halogens $500-600 a piece roughly (havent checked)

i swapped mine when car was brand new

If you just want led bulbs in your halogens thats about $40-50 off amazon lol

·
The Enforcer
3,620 Posts
Agreed.

Let insurance take care of that. I wouldnt ask them to change to LED headlights as your car is not specc'd with them as per your trim, so they probably wont change them even if you asked.

You could however swap them yourself later on, but given the breadth and extent of damage, let the insurance company deal with it and restore it to factory standard before you swap anything.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,303 Posts
let the insurance company deal with it and restore it to factory standard before you swap anything.
@BoostedV , do all Touring cars have that 'adapter harness'? Or is it something that is available from aftermarket fitters?

I would expect that installing the LED/ factory Touring lights at the time of the collision repair would save a LOT of labor time. Paying the difference might be the way to go...

Reactions: JB in AZ

·
The Enforcer
3,620 Posts
@BoostedV , do all Touring cars have that 'adapter harness'? Or is it something that is available from aftermarket fitters?

I would expect that installing the LED/ factory Touring lights at the time of the collision repair would save a LOT of labor time. Paying the difference might be the way to go...
Not sure how insurance works in the US, but over here, cars are repaired to OEM spec. So a car without LED headlights at factory would be repaired to that same specification.

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
1,370 Posts

people make them from
Honda connectors or aftermarket

they plug in & a pin moved in harness.Very easy

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,232 Posts
Not sure how insurance works in the US, but over here, cars are repaired to OEM spec. So a car without LED headlights at factory would be repaired to that same specification.
I'm suspecting that the OP is considering asking the body shop to allow him to replace the damaged headlights with the LEDs and allow him to pay the difference between what the insurance is paying. and the additional cost for the LEDs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm suspecting that the OP is considering asking the body shop to allow him to replace the damaged headlights with the LEDs and allow him to pay the difference between what the insurance is paying. and the additional cost for the LEDs.
That's right. Besides their permission, I'd need to get them the adapter harness, plus pay them for the part price differential. I checked at hondapartsnow and their retail price (not discounted price) was $67.73 higher for the LED vs the halogen. Times 2 for both assemblies or $135.46 total.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Unfortunately a deer ran out in front of my wife a couple of nights ago. Fortunately she is fine, but the grill and bumper are in bad shape. She's out of town, btw, so all I've seen are pictures of the damage. She told me both headlights had moisture inside the housing, but that had disappeared by the following morning. I'm speculating the headlight housing is damaged because of the moisture. Do you think that would be true? Would State Farm agree to replace them because of that?

Beyond that, if they do agree to replace both of the headlight housings, could I get some opinions about asking the collision repair shop to upgrade to the LED bulbs & housings, of course I'd have to pay the difference since they are more expensive. I'm wondering if there is anything more involved than replacing the housing and bulbs? Would my wife and I enjoy the upgrade?

I guess if you have any other comments you'd like to make about getting the repairs done in general, that would be good too.

Thanks in advance for your opinions. View attachment 144586
I put some LED headlight bulbs in my wife's 2014 Camry and they are terrific. GTR Lighting Ultra II's. They aren't cheap as they cost Around $200 a pair but they come with a lifetime guarantee. https://www.gtrlighting.com/buyer-guide-by-vehicle/2014+Honda+CR-V

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
While this was a nice idea, in theory, I think I'm starting to get cold feet. I think I'd be causing too much trouble for the repair shop, since I don't know when I could get the wiring adapter in hand. Plus, next time my wife hits a deer, how's that going to go down with my insurance company when I say, "oh, btw, I replaced the old headlight assemblies with the more expensive LED assemblies, thought I should let you know!" Add to that I can hear my wife now... just get the car fixed, okay? So I really appreciate everyone's advice on this.

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
1,370 Posts
Now you have me looking into the 2020 touring headlights & might swap out my 2017’s for a fresh set since they dropped the price & better output

:cool:

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,630 Posts
Talk with body shop and work through the extras you want with them. They do this kind of stuff quite often.

Reactions: TheGreatTuna

·
The Enforcer
3,620 Posts
That's right. Besides their permission, I'd need to get them the adapter harness, plus pay them for the part price differential. I checked at hondapartsnow and their retail price (not discounted price) was $67.73 higher for the LED vs the halogen. Times 2 for both assemblies or $135.46 total.
Excuse the Brit ignorance, but I am guessing you would have to declare this modification to your insurers?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,303 Posts
Excuse the Brit ignorance, but I am guessing you would have to declare this modification to your insurers?
Any modifications that you want to be covered by insurance (aftermarket wheels, these upgraded lights, sound/head unit equipment, etc) need to be noted on an insurance policy here.

Reactions: TheDarkKnight

·
The Enforcer
3,620 Posts
Over here, if you dont declare mods, and you have an accident (regardless of who is at fault), policies are annulled and voided 😱

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,303 Posts
Over here, if you dont declare mods, and you have an accident (regardless of who is at fault), policies are annulled and voided 😱
So are modifications then covered? Who determines their value?

Time for me to go CHROME on my Gen2? :ROFLMAO:😁

·
The Enforcer
3,620 Posts
So are modifications then covered? Who determines their value?
If declared, yes most mods can be covered.

As to how the value is determined....well, thats up for debate. Theres an ongoing Govt investigation into the UK insurance market due to wildly fluctuating (rip off!) prices.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Same in the US. Cars are (supposed to be) repaired per OEM specifications.

Reactions: TheDarkKnight

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,232 Posts
Same in the US. Cars are (supposed to be) repaired per OEM specifications.
Except, I have seen situations where an insurance companies will add $ for custom parts or accessories, when proof of purchase and installation is provided.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts