Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Except, I have seen situations where an insurance companies will add $ for custom parts or accessories, when proof of purchase and installation is provided.
I guess it depends on the insurance company/mod/amount of mod.

Reactions: JB in AZ

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,396 Posts
The key thing, is that if the insurance company is notified that changes are in place, they should 'cover' it back to that equipment level. The OP might need to supply photos of installed Touring lights in case of future claims.

+++++++++++

Our brother-n-law had a pickup with aftermarket wheels (installed by the first owner). When he damaged one that could not be repaired, his insurance bought him an entire new set of aftermarket wheels.

Reactions: JB in AZ

·
The Enforcer
3,771 Posts

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,332 Posts
I spoke with my brother-in-law last night who is a licensed insurance adjuster. He says upgrades are fine, when done during a body shop claim repair. The vehicle owner just needs to pay the body shop for the extra cost over the stock parts.

Additionally, upgrades previously installed will also be covered with the proper documentation, if they become part of an insurance claim.

Reactions: TheDarkKnight

·
Registered
68 Posts
One of the reasons why we bought the Touring model over the EX was the halogen headlights. With halogen lights you get a brighter white compared to a yellowish tint of the EX lights. If the OP can upgrade to halogen I would highly recommend he do it.

·
3,332 Posts
One of the reasons why we bought the Touring model over the EX was the halogen headlights. With halogen lights you get a brighter white compared to a yellowish tint of the EX lights. If the OP can upgrade to halogen I would highly recommend he do it.
The Touring models use LED headlights.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Here’s an update on how this is turning out for me. First a word about how things are in our situation, we bought this 2020 EX-L model last February. My wife is the principal driver of the car. As it was, her father’s health continued to fail all of last year and she was on the road with the CR-V most of the year. I’ve gotten to spend precious little time with the car as a result. My father-in-law recently passed, but my wife is still on the road as a result. That was when she hit the deer.

Amazingly the smallish deer managed to be struck right in the middle of the front end. Yesterday we finally got our CR-V into the collision repair shop. As it turns out, neither of the headlight assemblies were damaged. I expected the tabs to be broken on possibly both of them, but that was not the case. The moisture my wife saw in the housings since dissipated and has not returned. Elsewhere on this forum I’ve read the debates on this subject and I am satisfied that at this point I am unlikely to get new headlight assemblies and along with that goes my curiosity that I’d be able to upgrade to those really nice LED headlight assemblies that are on the Touring models.

I am getting a new bumper along with all the grill components. Also, they will be checking all the electronics associated with the sensors, before and after they complete the work. They thought there was a big sensor right in the middle of the grill area that would have to be replaced. I failed to mention, in spite of all the damage, the air bags did not deploy in this accident. I know my wife applied the brakes in a meaningful way because of her description of how everything in the SUV was displaced as a result of the collision.

I really appreciate all the input I received from everyone on the forum. Photos of damage can be somewhat deceiving in what appears to be damaged because of reflections and shadows on the photos. Some stuff members were seeing was a result of the photos not being perfect, simply did not exist. Nonetheless, it caused valuable discussion to take place.

Then maybe the last thing I will mention, and I think this happens frequently, your vehicle gets hit in a particular location and there had already been some tiny damage in that area. Often times those little things get picked up in the estimate as part of the collision and you get some stuff fixed that you may not have been entitled to. We got a little of that and I’m grateful for that.

I’m going to continue to explore the idea of upgrading to either LED or HID lights, but not replace the headlight assemblies. We’ll see what the future holds there. As I said, I rarely get to drive the CR-V, let alone at night. I enjoyed the automatic headlight dimming when we got the car, but my wife didn’t. I turned it off for her, but I think I’d like to give that a try when I get to drive the car some more.

Once again I really appreciated all the great discussion on this topic. There was more to be said than I initially realized. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

·
The Enforcer
3,771 Posts
Here’s an update on how this is turning out for me. First a word about how things are in our situation, we bought this 2020 EX-L model last February. My wife is the principal driver of the car. As it was, her father’s health continued to fail all of last year and she was on the road with the CR-V most of the year. I’ve gotten to spend precious little time with the car as a result. My father-in-law recently passed, but my wife is still on the road as a result. That was when she hit the deer.

Amazingly the smallish deer managed to be struck right in the middle of the front end. Yesterday we finally got our CR-V into the collision repair shop. As it turns out, neither of the headlight assemblies were damaged. I expected the tabs to be broken on possibly both of them, but that was not the case. The moisture my wife saw in the housings since dissipated and has not returned. Elsewhere on this forum I’ve read the debates on this subject and I am satisfied that at this point I am unlikely to get new headlight assemblies and along with that goes my curiosity that I’d be able to upgrade to those really nice LED headlight assemblies that are on the Touring models.

I am getting a new bumper along with all the grill components. Also, they will be checking all the electronics associated with the sensors, before and after they complete the work. They thought there was a big sensor right in the middle of the grill area that would have to be replaced. I failed to mention, in spite of all the damage, the air bags did not deploy in this accident. I know my wife applied the brakes in a meaningful way because of her description of how everything in the SUV was displaced as a result of the collision.

I really appreciate all the input I received from everyone on the forum. Photos of damage can be somewhat deceiving in what appears to be damaged because of reflections and shadows on the photos. Some stuff members were seeing was a result of the photos not being perfect, simply did not exist. Nonetheless, it caused valuable discussion to take place.

Then maybe the last thing I will mention, and I think this happens frequently, your vehicle gets hit in a particular location and there had already been some tiny damage in that area. Often times those little things get picked up in the estimate as part of the collision and you get some stuff fixed that you may not have been entitled to. We got a little of that and I’m grateful for that.

I’m going to continue to explore the idea of upgrading to either LED or HID lights, but not replace the headlight assemblies. We’ll see what the future holds there. As I said, I rarely get to drive the CR-V, let alone at night. I enjoyed the automatic headlight dimming when we got the car, but my wife didn’t. I turned it off for her, but I think I’d like to give that a try when I get to drive the car some more.

Once again I really appreciated all the great discussion on this topic. There was more to be said than I initially realized. Thanks to everyone who contributed.
Please do follow up when your car is fixed with some nice shiny pics!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Will do. We sold an '02 Civic EX to make room for the CR-V EX-L. My wife loved that '02, but according to her, she's never looked back, she really enjoys the CR-V.

·
3,332 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I can answer your question on the moisture. Our headlights aren't fully sealed. I have this issue when I bring my crv thru touchless carwash and brought it to Honda to ask. They were the ones who told me that the headlights are like that and the moisture like that is normal. i have attached a picture of what moisture looked like and as you said it goes away the next day. I own a 2018 model and switched from halogen to LEDs myself once I got the car. Since our's are plug and play i recommend you pruchase LEDs and reuse the housing like i did. For your 2020 these are the ones i use:

Attached is what it looks like after i installed it on the crv.
Hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Unfortunately a deer ran out in front of my wife a couple of nights ago. Fortunately she is fine, but the grill and bumper are in bad shape. She's out of town, btw, so all I've seen are pictures of the damage. She told me both headlights had moisture inside the housing, but that had disappeared by the following morning. I'm speculating the headlight housing is damaged because of the moisture. Do you think that would be true? Would State Farm agree to replace them because of that?

Beyond that, if they do agree to replace both of the headlight housings, could I get some opinions about asking the collision repair shop to upgrade to the LED bulbs & housings, of course I'd have to pay the difference since they are more expensive. I'm wondering if there is anything more involved than replacing the housing and bulbs? Would my wife and I enjoy the upgrade?

I guess if you have any other comments you'd like to make about getting the repairs done in general, that would be good too.

Thanks in advance for your opinions. View attachment 144586
moisture is actually fairly common and normal depending on the weather. There are vents in the housing and it will dry out. Two important points with LEDs 1) many of them are very poor quality as far as headlights go, blinding oncoming drivers with apoor pattern, running very hot. 2) some vehicles have a different heavy duty wiring harness and ceramic plug on the LED models...to deal with the heat.
Get some good aftermarket running lights.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,627 Posts
@BoostedV , do all Touring cars have that 'adapter harness'? Or is it something that is available from aftermarket fitters?

I would expect that installing the LED/ factory Touring lights at the time of the collision repair would save a LOT of labor time. Paying the difference might be the way to go...
The question though remains.... can an non-Touring trim even take the LED headlight arrays easily, or does it require a lot of additional work? They could physically for sure, but then the question comes down to... the wiring, fusing, etc.

Those LED headlight assemblies are about $800 each (discounted from OEM price) plus labor and other parts. No insurance company is going to agree to that in the US. So it comes down to does the owner want to pay ~$2000 to upgrade.. given upgrading is even doable.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,627 Posts
I failed to mention, in spite of all the damage, the air bags did not deploy in this accident. I know my wife applied the brakes in a meaningful way because of her description of how everything in the SUV was displaced as a result of the collision.
I'm sure everything will be fixed to factory original OEM. Going to cost the insurance company quite a bit to do so though. The important part is you wife was unharmed.

Had your airbags deployed... it is quite likely, even on such a new vehicle, that your insurance would have written it off as a total loss. Reason: Restoring the airbags is incredibly expensive (north of $8K, is specialized work, and it can be difficult to recertify the airbags as OEM equivalent when it's all said and done (which is an NHTSA requirement). Most insurance companies just write off the vehicle and then recover some of the claim costs through salvage (the vehicle is worth thousands of dollars in salvage value) and call it a day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I can answer your question on the moisture. Our headlights aren't fully sealed. I have this issue when I bring my crv thru touchless carwash and brought it to Honda to ask. They were the ones who told me that the headlights are like that and the moisture like that is normal. i have attached a picture of what moisture looked like and as you said it goes away the next day. I own a 2018 model and switched from halogen to LEDs myself once I got the car. Since our's are plug and play i recommend you pruchase LEDs and reuse the housing like i did. For your 2020 these are the ones i use:

Attached is what it looks like after i installed it on the crv.
Hope this helps!
Can you please comment on how these LED bulbs behave in the winter with more humidity, snow and water around? I am about to buy a set for my EX-L from Philips (ultinon 9000 pro) and curious to hear feedback on the heat (or lack of for LEDs) and more moisture in the housing and issues with snow/ice on the front side of lamp.

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
1,380 Posts
The question though remains.... can an non-Touring trim even take the LED headlight arrays easily, or does it require a lot of additional work? They could physically for sure, but then the question comes down to... the wiring, fusing, etc.

Those LED headlight assemblies are about $800 each (discounted from OEM price) plus labor and other parts. No insurance company is going to agree to that in the US. So it comes down to does the owner want to pay ~$2000 to upgrade.. given upgrading is even doable.
The 2020 led housings are now $450
Since honda made the beams better and put in more models (even the 2020 lx hybrd has them 🤷🏻‍♂️) they dropped the price.

im gonna be pulling my 2017 tourings for them & ebaying my set.

·
Registered
2021 CRV EX-L
54 Posts
The 2020 led housings are now $450
Since honda made the beams better and put in more models (even the 2020 lx hybrd has them 🤷🏻‍♂️) they dropped the price.

im gonna be pulling my 2017 tourings for them & ebaying my set.
I don't see an LX Hybrid offered, just the EX, EX-L and Touring. My guess is the hybrids have LEDs to cut down on power consumption. The regular CRVs only come with LEDs on the Touring model.

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
1,380 Posts
I don't see an LX Hybrid offered, just the EX, EX-L and Touring. My guess is the hybrids have LEDs to cut down on power consumption. The regular CRVs only come with LEDs on the Touring model.
they onlyhad an lx hybrid for2020

gone for 2021

Which is why it says.... 2020

21 - 40 of 49 Posts