Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in whats called the "snow belt" of upstate NY. If you look at a NY state map i am North of Syracuse and East of Lake Ontario. In other words we traditionally get a TON of snow every year. This is my first winter with my 17 EX AWD after driving a 13 Accord EX for several years.

I am BEYOND frustrated with the technology sensing in the winter. Some weeks i have "radar obstructed some sensing abilities are not available" more than it works. When radar is obstructed even simple cruise control does not work.... I am not sure if this technology just has some flaws early in development and it may get better at some point? Others experience this? I am not too optimistic though as my local Honda Service guy tells me that have even more complaints regarding owners of the New Accord do primarily to the placement of the "radar" .....

This is also the first winter in 10 years which i chose to NOT use dedicated snow tires on my vehicle. This was a HUGE mistake. I think the all seasons that came with the care are TERRIBLE for the winter. I should have known better. My 13 Accord 2wd with snow tires on it had far superior traction and braking the last few seasons. Now winter is half over here i won't get snows this year but surely next year...

Similar experiences in snowy regions of the country?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Snow obstructs the radar which happens with ALL vehicles with radar. You can enable plain cruise control without ACC or LKAS. It’s in the manual.

You can’t compare driving with all season tires versus winter tires. Winter tires make a huge difference. People with SUVs and AWD become too cocky and think they can plow through snow with the OEM tires. It won’t stop you from going into a ditch but may help you get out of one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
185 Posts
"I am BEYOND frustrated with the technology sensing in the winter. Some weeks i have "radar obstructed some sensing abilities are not available" more than it works.

I've only seen this error a few times, and clearing the snow/ice off the radar sensor has always resolved it.

"When radar is obstructed even simple cruise control does not work"

This is not true.

"This is also the first winter in 10 years which i chose to NOT use dedicated snow tires on my vehicle. This was a HUGE mistake. I think the all seasons that came with the care are TERRIBLE for the winter. I should have known better. My 13 Accord 2wd with snow tires on it had far superior traction and braking the last few seasons. Now winter is half over here i won't get snows this year but surely next year...Similar experiences in snowy regions of the country?"

No. I bought winter tires to use at the beginning of the winter because I live in a cold, wintery place.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Snow obstructs the radar which happens with ALL vehicles with radar. You can enable plain cruise control without ACC or LKAS. It’s in the manual.

You can’t compare driving with all season tires versus winter tires. Winter tires make a huge difference. People with SUVs and AWD become too cocky and think they can plow through snow with the OEM tires. It won’t stop you from going into a ditch but may help you get out of one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clearing the radar sensor does NOT always resolve issue i know. I have even experienced it obstructed in a really bad rain storm. I didn't realize i could still use cruise so thanks on that.. I have lived in this region for 45 years, thus have 45 winters here.. I have owned 4 wheel drive trucks, a RAV4 AWD and a Ridgeline AWD... I was simply re affirming SUPERIOR winter performance of snows vs oem's . This proven in a gazillion publications and my own personal experience...

·
Registered
653 Posts
I know you have a massive amount of snow each year (my daughter used to live in Camden and was appalled when they had to shovel off the roof of the house -- unheard of in our area). I haven't had any problems with the radar sensor, so do you know exactly what causes it? Is it moisture/rain/ice/snow on the upper windshield?

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,026 Posts
Would not a heating element can be placed near t MELT away unwanted snow???

·
Registered
963 Posts
Snow tires are for going, but more importantly for STOPPING!

I live in a college town and don't want to go 'bump-bump' over some yahoo student who slips on his/her bicycle directly infront of me.

BTW I had studs on my bicycle tires when I was in college.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
They are really driver aids.
Just happens to be that the snow affects the camera etc like if you were driving in snow do you really want the lane departure checking for snow covered lines?

We have family in utica and live in nj so we get the snow also but sometimes you just need to simplify the driving and when conditions permit enjoy the perks of sensing.

Doesn’t sell well but in grand scheme its better

Its only a matter of time before someone 3d prints and sells an adaptor to push the radar unit out and make it flush with emblem so that snow cant accumulate below it

·
Registered
264 Posts
My sister lives upstate as well and her new bmw's radar gets obstructed with snow.
The car would give warning lights all over the dash and no stop/go cruise or normal cruise control at all would be available. Every time she'd engage cruise control, the car would beep and warning lights on the dash would go off.

BTW, you never want to use cruise control on any bad weather conditions. It's very unsafe.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Safety systems are driver aides, not a substitute for a driver in the car. Honda, like all other car makers, makes this very clear. Even the lane assist, when its working properly, will give you a warning if you take your hands off the steering wheel and remind you that you should be steering the car! This is NOT a self driving car and doen't claim to be.

In a year of driving this car through all sorts of weather I have only gotten a warning two times about the radar. Both times were in pretty terrible storms where I really would have preferred to be home and not on the road. Last time was a week ago and the entire front of the car was covered in a layer of ice.

If you live in an area with lots of heavy snow you need to put real snow tires on your car, FWD or AWD. No "all season tire" makes a great snow tire.

One should not be using cruise control while driving in adverse weather, its just not wise to do so.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Would not a heating element can be placed near t MELT away unwanted snow???
Yep. At some point they have to as a future driverless vehicles would be too reckless. It would be a little tricky putting a metal heating element on the radome related to RF reflections but I'm sure they have other solutions. Radomes and sections of glass covering ACC/LKAS cameras/sensors will eventually need the same frost and moisture treatments as a windshield does for a human driver. But that's a few design iterations ahead of the currently available CRV ACC/LKAS systems.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Watertown NY area here...lots of snow this winter and I'm very happy to have a set of Blizzaks on my '17 and '12 CRV's.
The "some" season tires on the '17 were great until more than several inches of snow fell then too much slip and slide for me to deal with. New snows on the next day. I'll get a set of rims in the spring for the all seasons as I like the Ecopia's.

I've had 2 instances where the front sensor system wacked out this winter and in both instances the sensor was covered in snow. I ignored the warnings until I got to where I was going then cleaned it off. When I restarted the car all lights were off and system was working fine.

As has been said...the snow tires are very important for stopping but most important of all is to drive safely, calmly and with some freaking caution...they and AWD are not a "drive like an ahole" license.
I always drive cautiously but in the winter more so...rather take a bit more time and get there in one piece.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Maybe your sensor is gimped if even after clearing the snow it is not working. That doesn't sound normal if it is still not working. As others have stated, you can change the cruise to be old style cruise.

As for other replies talking about snow tires, COMMANDOE was not saying he (she?) expected the all seasons to match snows and he clearly stated he knows the importance of snow tires. He was simply stating that the oem tires stink in snow and he regrets not getting snows like they have got on previous vehicles.

Give it a rest in telling him the benefits of snow tires when he already knows that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My commute is mainly on the I87 Northway and I see my share of issues with the radar/camera being obstructed along with the random false blindspot monitor going off.

I've accepted this as part of purchasing advanced technology that is dependent on sensors and if they are not clear, the systems will complain.

I also agree with the tires on my 17 Touring. They are horrible. I've always run one season in the snow with new cars even living in Vermont. I'm still on the fence about getting them this year, I usually try and buy off season.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
BTW, you never want to use cruise control on any bad weather conditions. It's very unsafe.
I was driving a 1994 Dodge Intrepid (when they were almost new) on an upgrade on an interstate at 70 MPH with the cruise on and the front wheels starting spinning. The Michelin tires had 55,000 miles on them but still had fairly good tread. It quickly got my attention. It was a company car and I had new tires put on it even though the tires still had thousands of miles of wear left on them. I have been reluctant to use cruise even in the rain since that scare.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I haven't had any problems with the radar sensor, so do you know exactly what causes it? Is it moisture/rain/ice/snow on the upper windshield?
The radar sensor is at the very front of the car, below the "H"onda emblem. It's behind that piece of plastic. So snow that builds up above the front license plate can do it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts