Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry for the abrupt message but my car is stuck
2002 CRV 5at
Key goes in no beeping sound, wheel is not locked. key wont turn, seems like its hard to get the key in there is some resistance as if the the key is damaged or the inside is damaged. key wont turn, cant start the car.

what can I do? i needed to get it started and bring it home. any help guy?

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Make sure it is the right key.
Turn the key upside down.
Try a different key if you have one.
Put some lubricant on the key itself (temp thing to try).

Don't force it.

Keep moving the steering wheel.

Go to the nearest bar.

Buffalo4

PS:Make sure you are actually in your own car. :eek:

·
Registered
772 Posts
Make sure it is the right key.
Turn the key upside down.
Try a different key if you have one.
Put some lubricant on the key itself (temp thing to try).

Don't force it.

Keep moving the steering wheel.

Go to the nearest bar.

Buffalo4

Times two. You gotta love it when a plan comes together. Last instruction was KILLER!!!!!
David g.

·
Registered
252 Posts
One of the problems with Honda being a popular vehicle is that the likelihood of the same color car being parked next to you is pretty good (at least around here)... I'm embarrassed to say I've done that and got as far as sitting in the seat ready to put in the key when I realize it's not my car! (We're fortunate to have low crime up here and it's pretty common for vehicles to be unlocked when they run into a store).

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
One of the problems with Honda being a popular vehicle is that the likelihood of the same color car being parked next to you is pretty good (at least around here)... I'm embarrassed to say I've done that and got as far as sitting in the seat ready to put in the key when I realize it's not my car! (We're fortunate to have low crime up here and it's pretty common for vehicles to be unlocked when they run into a store).
The worst thing is that the engine started with your key in a different vehicle & then when you get home you realized that its not your vehicle. They say that import vehicles will not have the same combo in the same country but you might find the same combo in another country.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,717 Posts
BTDT. :) :) :)

When our Acura was two days old, an identical one was parked two spaces down. And for some reason, our fob wasn't opening the trunk. (Good Thing in retrospect) :rolleyes: :eek:

+++++++++

OP, please get back to us with the results of your efforts, hope you were not stranded.

I'd do two things:

1 See if another key works better

2 Lubricate the lock and tumblers with Lock-Ease or similar

Also, for the future, don't have too many heavy items on your keychain, this promotes rapid wear. Use a quick disconnect chain so that the weight of your other keys isn't excessive.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Happened to my wife's '98 a couple of years ago. She came out of work, put the key in and it wouldn't budge. She turned the wheel both ways, multiple times, tried everything nothing worked.

She called me and I knew she had a can of WD-40 in the car so I told her to spray a little on the cuts in the key, put it in and out of the ignition a few times and work it left and right. It unlocked immediately and no problems since.

I know some folks would say don't use WD-40 in an ignition but it worked like a charm for us.

Sure hope you got things worked out and you got it started.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Keep a hammer in the car - my wife's car (a non-honda) had this very problem - we kept a hammer and with the key in the ignition we would tap on the key with the hammer a couple of times and bingo the key would turn (this is really only a temporary solution). Putting in either WD40/Lock De-icer did not work - the likely problem may be one of the tumblers in the cylinder is stuck - we ended up taking the car to a locksmith who replaced the cylinder and no problems since.

·
Registered
252 Posts
OP, please get back to us with the results of your efforts, hope you were not stranded.
I was driving past the FoodMaxx last night and there was this guy in the alley in a cardboard box staring at a keyfob... Anyway, they were out of hotdogs.

·
Registered
381 Posts
hahaha :)

That's great

1 - 10 of 10 Posts