Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am driving my cousin 2012 CRV automatic from Chicago to Sacramento. This is end of my second day driving, well maybe do another hour or so after some food.

Since this is my cousin car I dont know much about the maintenance. I check all the fluids and tires before driving and they seems good.

Now on the highway, when I go around 60 mph, the tach showed that I am at 3000+ rpm. I think it was around 2200rpm during this morning and yesterday. I still have a day of drive left, just past Salt Lake City. Will I make it? What should I check? It seems to be getting slower and slower too, like less power.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Did you check your flux capacitor?
Kidding aside:
1. Is parking brake fully disengaged?
2. Are you in S rather than D?
3. Is your temp gauge showing normal temp?
Since its not your car chances are its something simple.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After some food, I check the fluids. The transmission fluid had disappeared. So went into the shop and see what they have and they only have Mobil ATF D/M. Is it okay to use it to get me to Sacramento?

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,187 Posts
You may have accidentally hit the little D3 lockout button just below the silver gear shift button. Press the D3 button again or turn off/on the vehicle to cancel D3 lockout

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe transmission slip happening... Honda usually require transmission fluid change every 30,000 miles or earlier. If your cousin missed the point, you never know when transmission problem starts. Change transmission fluid as soon as you arrive to your destination.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Did you check the transmission fluid with the engine running or off. Honda transmissions are checked with the engine off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you check the transmission fluid with the engine running or off. Honda transmissions are checked with the engine off.
Within 60 seconds of shutting the car off. I assume is similar to my Accord. I have tons of DW1 at home but the only thing in the shop is that Mobil ATF D/M and Lucas

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Guess your only option is to find a room, call your cousin and find a nearby Honda dealer for tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I would call Honda and ask what a suitable emergency ATF would be. A long time ago they said a Dextron 3 fluid was ok temporarily.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Within 60 seconds of shutting the car off. I assume is similar to my Accord. I have tons of DW1 at home but the only thing in the shop is that Mobil ATF D/M and Lucas
Lucas is Way Too Thick & is not for "Normal" Transmission refill.
Putting in some good Manual Trans Fluid is a better choice than
running/Ruining a Trans due to Low Fluid.
If you must buy another brand -- use it and tell the owner,
when you get there, he needs to change his fluid.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,785 Posts
It's time to google auto parts stores near you. Products like valvoline max life atf or redline d4 are alternatives.

The second issue you might have is removing the fill plug then getting the fluid into the transmission. A long funnel is needed.

Hoping it all works out for you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts