Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all

Device name : CRUX VIMHN-96 | VIM Activation for Select Honda Vehicles 2014-Up

PS: I can't post a link but you can google it.

Just wonder if anyone use this before. Is it worth the US$145 to get.

This device claim can keep all factory functions.

Since we can not get Apple car play/Android Auto on out factory radio, at least let us able to mirror the phone screen.(Getting old and hard to see the tiny phone screen)

All feedback are appreciated

Calvin

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already ordered one will be here on 8th. From what i saw on youtube...Yes, just plug N play. No complicate key combo to hack the factory radio. I will report back on the result once I have it installed. Calvin

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, guys:

Good news...I installed the Crux VIM. It works!!!

All factory functions retained and you dont need to do the crazy keys combo to use the screen while driving. For me, yes my time worth that US$130.

Since I can't post pictures here, I will later post a youtube link on how it works.(No more combo keys for me).

By looking at the back of factory radio, I doubt there will be a aftermaket radio give you Carplay with change any factory functions.

Calvin

·
Registered
2015 CRV Touring
48 Posts
Thanks for your update. My last concern is that by selecting HDMI i could see the Waze app on the screen but could not listen to music on my radio. I have a 90 min one-way commute.
I do not usually have success trying to stream audio on my phone while driving. My wife has CARPLAY (2018 Pilot) and i listen to the SXM radio while projecting Waze on the screen.
Thanks for all updates and please post more when you can! This is an option for some of us.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, bibeaud:

Not sure why my previous reply not get post. Here I type again.

Let me ans your Qs first ( video will upload, gotta get 2nd phone for this )

Yes, you will be able to steam your library music or iheartradio while you waze on HDMI.

You will also able to use the phone functions as usually(phone message will be on the screen and you still able to touch screen that part)

All sounds (waze/phone/music) will come out from your car speakers. All lane watch/backup camera works as they are.(line will cured while you turn steering wheel...etc)

My test phones -
iPhone6s IOS 12.0
iPhone8Plus IOS 12.1

I use apple brand HDMI AV adapter with regular chippo lighting/hdmi cables.

I think this is by far the best solution for 4th gen CRV to get as close as to CarPlay.

Calvin

Calvin

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hi, sebasruatian:

1. it's not hard (for me) to install it.(I DIY 8 Honda but I believe normal person with steady hands should be ok.) Yes, unit comes with one simple sheet but you will be fine without it.(PS: Sheet doesn't tell you how to remove the radio and trim so you need to learn that yourself.)
get yourself a set of trim removal tool from harbor Freight. Dont be afraid to yak the bottom three red clips off their slots.(that probably the most difficult part bec you can't see them until you pull the unit.) Pocket flat screwdriver for removal the security tab on one of the connector on the units. You just need to remove two connects on the factory unit then hook up the Crux unit.(Keep the dip #1 at ON) then you good to go. I don't even remove the car battery at all.

2. I dont have Android HDMI adapter to test it. But I don't see why this won't work. Apple is more picky than Android.

Calvin

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,072 Posts
You can post attachments and images. So lets see.

·
Registered
2016 CR-V EX-L
164 Posts
Thanks for your update. My last concern is that by selecting HDMI i could see the Waze app on the screen but could not listen to music on my radio. I have a 90 min one-way commute.
I do not usually have success trying to stream audio on my phone while driving. My wife has CARPLAY (2018 Pilot) and i listen to the SXM radio while projecting Waze on the screen.
Thanks for all updates and please post more when you can! This is an option for some of us.
Thanks to all for the questions and great information.

I read on another forum (HRV) that one of the potential issues is the ability to use the vehicle's radio. So my question is can you use XM radio or another source (AM/FM) from the stock radio while viewing Waze on the screen?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi, KCGL1800:
When u mirror through HDMI, the only other sound source is from Bluetooth. I use my iPhone stream music while I look at the screen for navi. Or I can use iHeart radio to steam the broadcasting. I'm not sure about streaming XM from your cell.

Calvin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts