Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just found out that the AVAS (Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System) speaker is located right behind the passenger side fog light. There is a pipe conducting the sound from the speaker to the bottom of the car, where there is a circular opening with some kind of grill. I saw the 2-pin connector but didn't try to unplug it, trying to prevent the error message. Perhaps someone can develop a plug-and-play adaptor with two resistors like this diagram below to attenuate the sound. The overall resistance has to be similar to the speaker to prevent the error.

Thinking to stuff the pipe with a cloth to dampen the volume a bit especially in reverse. I am afraid of waking up neighbors as I go to work early.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Hybrid SR Crystal Red Metallic
413 Posts
The noise generated in the US must be louder than the UK version as I’ve never actually heard it after owning my car for a year.

I appreciate that you’re acting out of consideration for your neighbours but it is a safety feature to warn others of your existence when the car is in Ninja mode. I assume it’s also against the law to disable or reduce the noise or you’d have a switch to turn it on and off.

·
Registered
2017 CR-V AWD EX-L 1.5T, 2018 Accord Touring Hybid
222 Posts
No noise generator on Toyota
In a parking lot just last week, a RAV4 stated up 20 feet away and its AVAS was so loud I nearly jumped.

·
Registered
2017 CR-V AWD EX-L 1.5T, 2018 Accord Touring Hybid
222 Posts
I was thinking prius
That doesn't matter. By law in the US, all new cars capable of quiet driving below 30 km/hr must have AVAS. The deadline was originally September 2019, but that was changed to 50% in 2019 and 100% a year later.

But my comment was mostly about the volume. It was near offensive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just found out that the AVAS (Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System) speaker is located right behind the passenger side fog light. There is a pipe conducting the sound from the speaker to the bottom of the car, where there is a circular opening with some kind of grill. I saw the 2-pin connector but didn't try to unplug it, trying to prevent the error message. Perhaps someone can develop a plug-and-play adaptor with two resistors like this diagram below to attenuate the sound. The overall resistance has to be similar to the speaker to prevent the error.

Thinking to stuff the pipe with a cloth to dampen the volume a bit especially in reverse. I am afraid of waking up neighbors as I go to work early.

View attachment 139386

·
Registered
74 Posts
That doesn't matter. By law in the US, all new cars capable of quiet driving below 30 km/hr must have AVAS. The deadline was originally September 2019, but that was changed to 50% in 2019 and 100% a year later.

But my comment was mostly about the volume. It was near offensive.
If people paid more attention when crossing the roads and/or even walking instead of starring at their phone or having their ears plugged up with ear phones we wouldn’t be in this mess! Why not just make pens and pencils without ink or lead to prevent spelling errors. It’s ridiculous!! It’s comparable to guns kill people; people don’t kill people. I hate this noise. I like a quiet hybrid. Not one that sounds like I’m listening to a church choir driving slowly down the street. If I can’t disable it I’ll just have to drive fast enough regardless of the speed limits to deactivate the god awful sound.... It’s a joke! Someone has to come up with something.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What’s your solution for people who rely on sound because of poor vision? I don’t really get this POV. We recently bought the hybrid in the US and don’t mind the sound at all even though I am prone to migraines (incidentally, typically triggered by sound). A lot of kids live in our neighborhood and the AVAS has been great because they still know we are on the road. The spaceship sounds are a little comedic but I would rather have that versus potentially hitting a kid that ran into the street last second chasing a ball because they didn’t realize we were there.
If people paid more attention when crossing the roads and/or even walking instead of starring at their phone or having their ears plugged up with ear phones we wouldn’t be in this mess! Why not just make pens and pencils without ink or lead to prevent spelling errors. It’s ridiculous!! It’s comparable to guns kill people; people don’t kill people. I hate this noise. I like a quiet hybrid. Not one that sounds like I’m listening to a church choir driving slowly down the street. If I can’t disable it I’ll just have to drive fast enough regardless of the speed limits to deactivate the god awful sound.... It’s a joke! Someone has to come up with something.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What a can of worms..
Of course we care about people who need sounds to stay safe.

Then there are those of us mechanically inclined who are triggered by unusual sounds. We see them as something that should be fixed, There are those us who find certain sounds annoying. Sounds can be used to put people to sleep and keep them awake or even make them very agitated. Extreme Bass sounds from nearby cars comes to mind. You all have heard them.
Then there is sound quality, soothing music to attention getting noise produced by these ASAS systems.
I was immediately made aware that my new Hybrid was very notable by people watching tv in their own home.
I personally find the noise extremely irritating.
Then there is Volume.. The same volume noise in main street traffic my be unnoticeable, but sounds like a military marching band at 4am when I go for Coffee. There is no way for the operator to control the sound, although it is much louder in reverse.
Then there is the "surprise factor" I have been driving Hybrid's for years and enjoy the EV mode because it is Silent in the AM coffee run..I was not informed this was not under my control beforehand..I would have absolutely not purchased this vehicle had I been informed.

The very definition of EV is for silent operation as per many manuals.

This manual's notes on EV mode sum it up
"This mode allows you to drive in residential areas early in the
morning and late at night, or in indoor parking lots etc. without
concern for noises and gas emissions."

Then there is the Government aspect. Hondas' postion is they made me do it. Deflecting the responsibility'
They further deflect..Marketing and Sales should have informed you
and the final insult..you should have test drove it. (unfortunately it only becomes obvious when you're home during the quiet periods of AM and PM.
I refuse to drive new cars with stop/start nonsense but at least you can disable it even if you must each time to begin. I can can silence the AVAS in many ways but I enjoy the technical challenge but one thing is for sure..

My last Honda Product ever..
A real can of Worms...

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Touring 2WD
433 Posts
The sad part is if you disconnect a 'safety' feature and someone gets hurt the Ambulance Chasing TV Lawyers will have a field day.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Hybrid SR Crystal Red Metallic
413 Posts
The sad part is if you disconnect a 'safety' feature and someone gets hurt the Ambulance Chasing TV Lawyers will have a field day.
The sad part of this is that someone may get hurt or worse killed.

I cannot believe the forum is entertaining a discussion with regards to the disabling of a main safety feature. It is primarily to guarantee the safety of pedestrians and other road users and if it inconveniences some who want to exit their neighbourhood in stealth mode tough luck. Go buy an older EV or a bicycle.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.