Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing with the usb features of my 2017 CRV Touring and trying to determine the limits of the usb port. The largest usb drive I have is 128G. This works fine.

I have tired some usb external drives: 300G, 500G and 1TB.
None of these drives are detected. They do light up with power but I still get the “no usb device detected” message. I tried using them in the two front usb ports with no success.

I have many Movies that I have converted into an Mp4 format (for my phone).
Average size of the files are from 1.5G to 3G. I loaded a few of these unto the 128G usb drive.

Going into the “App List” section
Using “Gallery” the images and movies on the usb drive will show.

While in Park, I am able to play the movies with video and sound.
Once I switch out of Park, it plays the audio of the movie, only.
When I switch back to Park the video resumes in sync with movie.

I would be interested in finding out if a 256G usb flash drive will work before I go out and buy one (they are a little pricey).

·
Registered
185 Posts
I can't answer your question about 256 GB drives, but thanks for providing all this info. How do the movies look? Is the video playback smooth?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't answer your question about 256 GB drives, but thanks for providing all this info. How do the movies look? Is the video playback smooth?
They play very smoothly. I used DVDfab to convert the original movies, so they are a bit compressed but the sound and video is enjoyable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Windows 10 Home formats a USB larger than 32 gig using exFAT. My 2018 Honda CR-V EX does not recognize exFAT and Windows 10 format forbids FAT32 if the USB drive is larger than 32 gig, even from the command line.

My solution was to use a tool by Verbatim at: verbatim.com/index/search.php?words=fat32+tool Just download the zip file and run it! This software allows FAT32 on drives larger then 32 gig.

I spend about 4 hours on this one figuring it out. Had a 14.4 gig drive and it worked in the Honda when using FAT32. So I formatted the same USB drive to exFAT and it failed.

With the 64 gig drive formatted to FAT32 (thanks Verbatim) the USB feature works in my Honda.

·
Registered
549 Posts
My 256 Gig works fine. The only issue is I can't search for songs if you have more than 20,000 songs... Anyone from Texas recall "The Judys" band? 20170328_082139_resized.jpg

·
Registered
309 Posts
Now we know. I'm only at 9,000+.

With Display Audio's non-existent ability to deal with any organization besides file folders (no by genre in metadata, etc,) even 9,000 track is more or less unmanageable when looking for music to play in the car.

·
Registered
404 Posts
They play very smoothly. I used DVDfab to convert the original movies, so they are a bit compressed but the sound and video is enjoyable.
you did not mention anything about downloading any apps to play the video, so I assume there is no need for that? just tap on the movie tab to play the video ?

·
Registered
353 Posts
It is not legal to play video on the front screen in most States.

And man...over 32gb....WTH are you guys storing for use in you CAR. Kinda nuts man....kinda nuts!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for posting. It is ridiculous that the Honda manual includes no information on the limits and/or structure of the file tree.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Thank you for posting. It is ridiculous that the Honda manual includes no information on the limits and/or structure of the file tree.
Your kidding right ..... Most people don't even read the manual...that's why file tree is not available :wall:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you did not mention anything about downloading any apps to play the video, so I assume there is no need for that? just tap on the movie tab to play the video ?
Yes you are correct, I didn't have to add anything extra to have the videos play. I don't know if this has changed with the 2018/19 models.

·
Registered
Honda CRV 2019 2.4L CVT Touring
94 Posts
(256Gig works but don't format to ExFat)

I use a 256G (formatted to fat32) and worked... one note if you format to exfat that don't work. It loads quickly!

Lexar® JumpDrive® S75 USB 3.0 Flash Drive, 256GB $49 (or cheaper with coupon)
256GB JD S75 USB 3 FLSH DRV SM BLISTR - Office Depot
I have a Honda CRV - 2019 Touring model trim and I'm currently facing an issue with the factory-installed infotainment system.
I use a Lexar brand Jumpdrive S45 128 GB capacity USB 3.0 stick. I had reformatted it to Fat32 since the drive came preformatted with exFat. The unit is even capable of playing several video formats. I have copied all my .mp3 audio files and video songs mostly in .mkv and .mp4 formats to the USB drive. I have saved the audio and video all music files each in separate folders. I have created individual folders for each music album so say around 50 albums are there in inside the audio folder.
When I insert the USB stick into my infotainment system the track plays fine however within 40-60 seconds the track stops and the audio information on the screen goes blank. When I click on the next track option, the next track continues without any issues during the whole time I'm driving. The song continues from where I last heard it when I restart the car. This issue repeats itself when I turn off and turn on the car back again (only during starting)

Can anybody out there provide me some solution to this issue? I would appreciate some opinions and feedback.
I informed my dealer about this and tested a 32GB capacity San disk Cruzer blade belonging to the service engineer and it worked perfectly without any issues. He requested me to reformat to Fat32 which I had already done.

Attachments

·
2,811 Posts
I've always formatted my USB drives to NTFS and never had a single issue. I've heard others say they have had issues, but I haven't, so far.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts