Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I had a usb hub lying around which I plugged into the 1.5A socket. I was thinking I would minimize the constant plugging in/out on that socket for Apple CarPlay and Andriod Auto, as my wife and I have an iPhone and a Samsung. However, the system refused to recognize the hub and wouldn't even charge the phones, and forget about the carplay working. Has anyone tried using something else to avoid wear and tear on the in-built USB sockets?

·
Registered
61 Posts
CarPlay will only work with a direct connection to that 1.5a port. The hub your using must slightly alter the ampage? Haven't tried myself but I also have a hub I was thinking of using.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CarPlay will only work with a direct connection to that 1.5a port. The hub your using must slightly alter the ampage? Haven't tried myself but I also have a hub I was thinking of using.
that's what i am thinking too but couldnt find the amperage anywhere to get a hub for it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not just plug in a short extension cable? You can replace that if it wears out.
the idea is to not keeping plugging in and out the iPhone and Samsung cables to avoid damaging the usb socket. if we both had the same phone then i'd have done that.

·
Registered
185 Posts
the idea is to not keeping plugging in and out the iPhone and Samsung cables to avoid damaging the usb socket. if we both had the same phone then i'd have done that.
Don't take this the wrong way, but you don't appear to know what an extension cable is. If both phones currently plug into the car's USB port, they'll also both plug into the female end of the extension cable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CJG2ZYM

It's also possible I'm misunderstanding the problem here. If so, I apologize.

Also of note:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB
"The micro connectors were designed with frequent charging of portable devices in mind, so have a design life of 10,000 cycles and also place the flexible contacts, which wear out sooner, on the easily replaced cable, while the more durable rigid contacts are located in the receptacles. Likewise, the springy component of the retention mechanism, parts that provide required gripping force, were also moved into plugs on the cable side."

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Which is why I said "extension" cable. It's a cable with a normal USB plug on one end, and a USB socket on the other. You plug your actual data cable into the extension's socket. (I suggest getting a couple 6-inch data cables so you don't have a pair of 3-ft cables taking up space.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't take this the wrong way, but you don't appear to know what an extension cable is. If both phones currently plug into the car's USB port, they'll also both plug into the female end of the extension cable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CJG2ZYM

It's also possible I'm misunderstanding the problem here. If so, I apologize.

Also of note:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB
"The micro connectors were designed with frequent charging of portable devices in mind, so have a design life of 10,000 cycles and also place the flexible contacts, which wear out sooner, on the easily replaced cable, while the more durable rigid contacts are located in the receptacles. Likewise, the springy component of the retention mechanism, parts that provide required gripping force, were also moved into plugs on the cable side."
no offense taken :) yes, i know about these and will go down this route most likely. i was trying to use a hub to avoid plugging in/out altogether as both the micro usb and iphone cable would be always plugged in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Which is why I said "extension" cable. It's a cable with a normal USB plug on one end, and a USB socket on the other. You plug your actual data cable into the extension's socket. (I suggest getting a couple 6-inch data cables so you don't have a pair of 3-ft cables taking up space.)
got it, yes will do this most likely.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Hi
I had a usb hub lying around which I plugged into the 1.5A socket. I was thinking I would minimize the constant plugging in/out on that socket for Apple CarPlay and Andriod Auto, as my wife and I have an iPhone and a Samsung. However, the system refused to recognize the hub and wouldn't even charge the phones, and forget about the carplay working. Has anyone tried using something else to avoid wear and tear on the in-built USB sockets?
Go to Honda's part department and purchase an additional two sockets. I guarantee you, you will not use either replacement socket ever.

You can also buy a lighting to usb-c adapter or lighting to micro-USB adapter add plug it in and out of the cable depending on what phone you're using. I'm sure neither the adaptor nor the cable will wear out in that area either but you can make it easier to swap phones his way than unplugging or plugging back in the USB cable.

If they ever wear out (which they won't) all that would've happened is that a couple of metal pieces inside the adaptor need to be pulled up 1mm or less to cause more resistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts