Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2016 CRV. When I plug my Android phone into the USB plug to charge, the car takes over my phone (and shuts down Google maps when I'm using navigation). Is there a way to plug into the crv without shutting my phone down? Or should I just use the power outlet to charge my phone and ditch the USB connection all together?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
You may want to do a search on the forum about the subject. There are a number of threads.
From what I recall, the usb port is not set up to put much of a charge into the appliances. Thank you Honda.

·
Super Moderator
3,194 Posts
I'm in iPhone land. Even though I have Nav etc I have used iPhone directions from time to time when convenient to me. Eg looked up destination on phone and hitting directions is just too easy.
Map directions are read out loud using phone connection regardless of whether via Google or Apple maps

·
Registered
114 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
if memory serves it may only "take over" if you have the (useless) hondalink app installed.

The usb ports are only 1 amp, so if you have a modern phone that has 2.4? amp and supports fast charging, it will charge very slow. I use a cigarette lighter plug on the dash, going to an iotie dash bracket that has the wireless charging coils built in. Almost any phone from the past 3 years supports wireless charging. I also have a fast charger in the hump with a usb wire connected to it, for passengers and for when I need to charge at 1% per minute with the fast charge standard.

But to answer your question, I think it's that app that takes over the phone when it sees the car. I removed it from my Galaxy S6.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if memory serves it may only "take over" if you have the (useless) hondalink app installed.
Yeah, that's the weird part, I do not have any Hondalink or any Honda apps installed. I do have Android Auto installed to use on my truck, but that shouldn't affect the CRV.

·
Registered
381 Posts
yea it def doesn't support Android Auto. Is Mirrorlink turned on?

If it becomes a problem, you can easily hide a cigarette lighter type USB high speed charger in the center console. If your phone is from the past couple years, and supports the Qualcomm Quick Charge standard, it's a better way to fly. (Samsung note 4, 5, Samsung Galaxy s6, S7, LG g5, HTC Elite, X3, 10, One A9, M8, M9, butterfly 2, Desire Eye, Lenovo Z22, HP Elite X3, Moto Droid Turbo, G Turbo, X Force, X Pure, X Style, New Moto X Blackberry Priv, Asus T100, Fujitsu F02, F03, F05, Google Nexus 6, LG G2, G4, V10, Panasonic CM-1, and about 20 others)

They start at $6.99 on amazon. We use and love the PureGear Extreme in our cars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts