Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I bought a 2013 Honda CR-V LX and after reading the owners manual I tried to play music (through the USB port) that is recorded on an ipod and also on flash drives. The ipod works great but no flash drives will work. I always get a message saying "UNSUPPORTED" regardless of the flash drive that I have tried. I have tried 2 Sony 8GB and 1 Kingston 16 GB drives.

I have tried reformatting them using both Windows 7 formatter and a downloaded program called "USB Disk Format tool 5.1", formatting them to the FAT32 option, then copying MP3 files from my computer. Nothing works. The drives work on my computer every time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just some things I got from the owner's manual (PDF version):
Are your sound files in the supported AAC, WMA, or MP3 formats?
Files in WMA format protected by digital rights management (DRM) are not supported.
AAC format files must have been recorded with iTunes.
When your USB stick is plugged in, do you see the USB symbol on the console display?
Are your files all stored in the root (main) directory of the USB stick, and not in folders?

Other than this, the manual's only advice for the UNSUPPORTED message is the unplug the device and plug it back in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. However, I have finally worked out the problem and I will try to explain the solution just in case someone else has the problem.

First, the flash drive must be formatted to the FAT 32 file system. The formatter used in Windows 7 will not work. I downloaded a free formatter... ( HP USB Storage Format Tool 5.1 )... and formatted a Kingston 16GB flash drive. Be advised.... it took over 1.5 hours for it to format the drive. The formatting completely removed all previous data on the drive, including any security programs.

Next, I added folders to the drive. Each folder was named for either the artist or CD that I wanted. Then I ripped the music from my CD's, in the MP3 format, to each of those folders. I also copied MP3 music previously store on my computer straight to the flash drive.

Now the flash drive works great in the CR-V. The individual folders are displayed and when a folder is selected all tracks within the folder are displayed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts