Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello V owners ... I am considering the purchase of a 2012 EXL with the Nav option (yes, I know the OEM nav is lame). It has approximately 78k miles and (per photos) appears to be pristine. The owner claims he has all the maintenance records and the Carfax appears clean. And, I am going to go take a look at it later this week.

Are there any characteristics common to this year model or generation that I need watch out or look for? I am coming from an 01 CRV and don't know what to check on for this generation.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,914 Posts
The 4th gen is pretty solid IMO. My 2013 has been amazing and I bought it new. I do have an occasional VTC actuator grind that Honda claims isn't causing any damage which is fine by me. The early 2012's had heater core clogs which means the passenger side would get warm air but the drivers side wouldn't. They also had battery drain issues but both issues were corrected with TSB's.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan on viewing the V tomorrow. Hopefully I can talk him down a bit (at least to cover tax) as this is the best I have found so far. The best part is it still has 15 months left on the Honda Care extended warranty.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I plan on viewing the V tomorrow. Hopefully I can talk him down a bit (at least to cover tax) as this is the best I have found so far. The best part is it still has 15 months left on the Honda Care extended warranty.
Tax on a used car? Where are you?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you buy it?
Well ... I agreed to purchase contingent upon a satisfactory inspection. I have a local private shop that works only on Honda/Acura cars. They will look it over this afternoon. I don't expect any major issues. It is a really clean car (although not detailed to my expectations). Hopefully, tomorrow once the banks open, we can swap paper and it will be mine. Then I get all the hassles of standing in line at the tax office to finish the process.

And, then I get to detail my 01 CRV and sell it - starting the process again!

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,914 Posts
Well ... I agreed to purchase contingent upon a satisfactory inspection. I have a local private shop that works only on Honda/Acura cars. They will look it over this afternoon. I don't expect any major issues. It is a really clean car (although not detailed to my expectations). Hopefully, tomorrow once the banks open, we can swap paper and it will be mine. Then I get all the hassles of standing in line at the tax office to finish the process.

And, then I get to detail my 01 CRV and sell it - starting the process again!
Awesome! Good luck with everything.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well ... we took the car in and it was pronounced mechanically near perfect. But ... the mechanic did find a problem. We already knew of some prior damage to the back door and quarter panel. No body parts were replaced (all the VIN numbers matched). And apparently only small dents were repairs. The paint was the problem. In daylight you cannot see any imperfections. But, in the garage, under the fluorescent lights, the mechanic pointed out where they feathered the paint and it was noticeable. According to him, it was not the best job. But, the rest of the car was as good as one could expect for a 7 year old.

Now, I have to decide whether to go ahead (color and features I want, mechanically near perfect, 78k miles, new tires, but some paint imperfections) or keep looking.

Question: Does anyone have any experience with the "Honda Care" extended warranty? This prospect has 15 months left, transferable (?), and I have not found any offering featuring this warranty. Is it worth the trouble?

Decisions decisions!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As I mentioned earlier, this V has the balance of the Honda Care extended warranty (about 15 months). Does anyone know the procedure to transfer it to a new owner ... or any experience with the process?

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,914 Posts
I still think it's worth buying. Call Honda Care and ask them how to transfer the warranty.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I brought it home yesterday! The folks at Honda sent a form to be signed by the prior owner. I then sent it along with a copy of the bill of sale and $50 to Honda's California office.

Now for the fun of customizing the various settings to my preferences. And to prep my 2001 CRV to be sold.

I did discover a suspected issue. The heater core problem is present. So, the warranty will come in handy.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Aha ... yes, pictures. Here goes ... hopefully this works >>>>

20190125_092509.jpg

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,914 Posts
It's in great condition. Nice purchase!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts