Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We own a 2009 CRV and a 2017 CRV Touring Turbo. The 2017 is the bomb. But we are looking for something a bit older/cheaper for our teenage daughter. Seems like the Gen 4 2012-2016 models fit our budget. We know we want it to have a backup camera, alloy wheels and AWD. What do you guys recommend regarding other options and features? I appreciate your advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Rain sensor, ACC and power liftgate are nice to have.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Try Binging '12-'16 years AWD CRVs, then the trim levels to see standard equipment in each trim. I believe AWD was available in all trim levels. With a new vehicle, a dealership can usually get exactly what you want in a week or two.........not so with a used vehicle. You take what they have.

One thing to keep in mind (used equals possibly no warranty)........it's not a matter of if something breaks, but when something breaks. If it ain't there, it won't break. What does a teenager need other than automatic and A/C, to get from point A to point B and back? Put the money you save into your retirement fund.;)

Reactions: williamsji

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
360 Posts
While I fully concur with the backup camera your other items are unneccessary fluff. Fancy wheels - for a kid to wreck, nope.

AWD (while maybe useful) I say is not necessary. Many decades ago I grew up in snowy Maine and the then current FWD Subies (with old bias tires) were all the rage. Many years later I took my 98 FWD CRV to Maine (Dec 03?) where over the course of a few days 43" of white stuff was dumped on it. Once the trail was broke it simply ate it up - all while using regular (way down south) passenger tires.

Q: why not put her in the 09 CRV and get another one for yourselves?

·
Registered
109 Posts
While I fully concur with the backup camera your other items are unneccessary fluff. Fancy wheels - for a kid to wreck, nope.

AWD (while maybe useful) I say is not necessary. Many decades ago I grew up in snowy Maine and the then current FWD Subies (with old bias tires) were all the rage. Many years later I took my 98 FWD CRV to Maine (Dec 03?) where over the course of a few days 43" of white stuff was dumped on it. Once the trail was broke it simply ate it up - all while using regular (way down south) passenger tires.

Q: why not put her in the 09 CRV and get another one for yourselves?
Good question!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Does the teenage daughter have a part time job?

·
Read Only
41 Posts
If your teenage daughter having alloys and a back up cam and AWD is a must then get her a 2016 SE (same as a lx but with window tint and alloys) or a EX. If not then give her the 09 and get yourself something new or used/ Certified Pre Owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
360 Posts
If your teenage daughter having alloys and a back up cam and AWD is a must then get her a 2016 SE (same as a lx but with window tint and alloys) or a EX. If not then give her the 09 and get yourself something new or used/ Certified Pre Owned.

My 2016 SE is FWD.

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L
137 Posts
Here's some very basic things to consider, imho:

Do you need AWD? Where u live? I ask because have heard it's quite expensive to repair that rear drive unit if there's a problem. IIRC, in many cases the entire unit replacement is the only option, and that's big bucks.

So me, in Tucson Az, no, no AWD was a requirement.

And, not to start a controversy, but Honda, and other mfgs, these CVT transmissions are a new thing. They've been around for quite awhile, but not in mass produced cars.Some research will tell you there are quite a few lawsuits against Honda because of them. I know many people on this forum have had zero problems. Good for them. But will you have zero? Do some research, that's all I'd suggest, then decide.

The later model Gen4's have better suspension, audio systems, sound proofing, etc. Personally, I'd like to have every one of the newer features. But I still love my '14. You just have to decide what is and isn't important to you.

Cheers

·
Registered
246 Posts
For features, make a simple chart and within each column (re: must have, nice to have, don't want columns), right down the different features. Everything from AWD, Sun Roof, Power Seats, GPS, backup camera, etc. etc. Let the chart show you your must haves and don't care inclusions.

For my wife's 2014 AWD EX-L, it came with lots of different feature inclusions. I use some features but other features (like its sun roof), I never use it. But, the feature was included in our pre-owned buy. If buying pre-owned, you may get included features you don't use in the future as well.

Regardless of features, I do highly recommend headlight upgrade. re: Install LED bulbs and convert factory FOG with LED bulbs and their own manual off/on switch. For more details, surf: https://www.crvownersclub.com/threads/fog-light-mod-simple-version.198119/

Hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts