Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to Honda and use an iPhone with Apple CarPlay. There is also HondaLink but even after reading the manual, it is unclear to me if HondaLink is in any way useful especially when using CarPlay.

I would like to hear your (2017 CR-V owners') opinion on HondaLink and which features are useful or shouldn't I not even bother with it?

·
Registered
730 Posts
As I understand Hondalink, it's great if you only want to listen to music and don't want to be bothered with pulling your phone out and plugging it into the car. When getting in your car, it will automatically re-establish the Bluetooth connection and start playing music where you left off when you left the car. It will also allow you to do hands-free calling, without the need to plug in. It's all about convenience.

I know Carplay Wireless is coming soon, so it will also be very convenient and furthermore make Hondalink more obsolete, but, for the time being there are some people that will only want or use the BT connection.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I use the BT part for phone most of the time. Usually when I'm in the car, I don't bother to plug my phone in. I have only used Car Play so far for the maps. That worked well for me.
I have not downloaded the Honda apps from the Apple AppStore because it's not clear to me they work with the 17s and the ratings are aweful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought 2017 EL a few weeks ago and am quite happy with both Hondalink and CarPlay. I use my iPhone 7 for navigation and some audio programming. I’m intrigued with the Hondalink menus. Though they’re a bit complex they have a lot of capability that doesn’t seem to be documented. It would be good to have a users section for this information. For example my guidance volume dropped to a very low level for some unknown reason but I was able to dig through the System menu to find how to set it. While doing so, I discovered a section called gallery where you could probably store background photos?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I bought 2017 EL a few weeks ago and am quite happy with both Hondalink and CarPlay. I use my iPhone 7 for navigation and some audio programming. I’m intrigued with the Hondalink menus. Though they’re a bit complex they have a lot of capability that doesn’t seem to be documented. It would be good to have a users section for this information. For example my guidance volume dropped to a very low level for some unknown reason but I was able to dig through the System menu to find how to set it. While doing so, I discovered a section called gallery where you could probably store background photos?
There's a full user's manual that should have come on a CD in your glovebox. You can also get the latest version, or order a free paper copy, from Honda's website for owners.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello, has anyone been able to setup the HondaLink app to have all the features that are demoed in the app? Remote start, driving range info, tire pressures, odometer info...?

All I can get working is Parking reminder, and navigation uploads.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello, has anyone been able to setup the HondaLink app to have all the features that are demoed in the app? Remote start, driving range info, tire pressures, odometer info...?

All I can get working is Parking reminder, and navigation uploads.
No, I looked for those too. I think that was more "wishful thinking".

·
Registered
28 Posts
I can only get parking reminders in the Hondalink app for my EX, non-navi. Am I missing something or is that really all they offer?

·
Registered
54 Posts
HondaLink is currently useless on my CR-V 2017 because iOS app will not connect with the system. I am getting a "Authentication Failed" message. I have tried rebooting the head unit, deleting and reinstalling the app, disconnecting bluetooth completely. Nothing works and the app keeps showing how to connect bluetooth, but the "Handfree Link" works perfectly as does CarPlay.

This may have started with iOS 11.2 several weeks again. Anyone using an older version having problems?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine connects, and still seems useless. IMO, you're missing much. Yeah, I know you want it to work so that's frustrating. I'm thinking about deleting the app from my phone since it doesn't appear to do much on a CRV. As others have said, Odyssey gets some cool features, but not CRV.

HondaLink is currently useless on my CR-V 2017 because iOS app will not connect with the system. I am getting a "Authentication Failed" message. I have tried rebooting the head unit, deleting and reinstalling the app, disconnecting bluetooth completely. Nothing works and the app keeps showing how to connect bluetooth, but the "Handfree Link" works perfectly as does CarPlay.

This may have started with iOS 11.2 several weeks again. Anyone using an older version having problems?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Remote start works with the keyfob. You can disenable this feature from the settings menu but I think it’s default is on. Driving range shows up on dashboard display, by pressing the info button on the steering wheel and use left/right buttons till you see the fuel pump icon.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got my phone connected when I bought my car EX in September under iOS 10. It’s still working with 11.2. My salesman was very helpful with the setup. I’m quite happy with the way Hondalink works with my iPhone. It’s worth the trouble of figuring out how to get connected.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe a little off the subject but on my 2018 CR-V I like to listen to audio books from my smartphone using the vehicles Bluetooth. Sometimes it works and sometimes nothing. I know it is hooked up to Bluetooth because the display says it is and I also lose my audio on my smartphone when hooked up to Bluetooth. Any thoughts?

·
Everything in Moderation
7,605 Posts
packerfan, I moved your other Topic to the Electronics section so that it can be responded to....:eek:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I’m quite happy with the way Hondalink works with my iPhone. It’s worth the trouble of figuring out how to get connected.
I am connected, but I'm still trying to figure out what it actually does other than the parking feature? What other features do you like? Seems like I am missing something?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Remote start isn't offered on the CRV, I think it's on the new Odyssey. Car would need a cellular connection and subscription for that feature to work..

I've had mixed luck with the HondaLink app. It doesn't always update but it does show Oil Life and Range from the last time it updated.

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

1 - 20 of 33 Posts