Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks--

I'm looking for 1) info on what happens if I disconnect and reconnect my battery and 2) suggestions for a particular battery disconnect switch.

Like many of us, I'm plagued with battery drain. I've got an appointment at the dealership Friday during which I hope to have my VSA software updated (per TSB 17-032), but I'm also guessing that won't solve the whole problem. Since I sometimes leave my car at the airport for a week or so, I'm considering getting a battery disconnect switch.

If I disconnect my battery, I assume I'll have to lock the car manually with the key. When I get back, I'll have to unlock it with the key to open the hood and reconnect the battery. Are there any other gotchas? My battery has completely died in the past, and I don't recall any particular problems after charging it. I had to press the radio/etc power button for a couple of seconds to get that working, but I don't recall anything else.

My car has repeatedly failed to start due to battery drain after two days of non use, and this approach won't solve that issue. (I'm not going to use the switch every time I get out of the car!) Still, disconnecting the battery seems prudent when I leave it for longer.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Make them keep it until it's fixed. If not, they should buy it back. That is totally unacceptable on a new vehicle.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Make them keep it until it's fixed. If not, they should buy it back. That is totally unacceptable on a new vehicle.
I agree 100%. They should fix it, and give you a loaner car while they are working on it. You should be able to leave the car at the airport for months and not have to worry about the battery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestion. It's good to hear I'm not alone in thinking this totally unacceptable. Trust me, you're no more incensed about this than I am! I just don't want to give up my car for a month. That's how long it sometimes goes without this problem. I have zero faith in the dealership's ability to figure it out (or do anything else, frankly).

Do you think there's any problem I'm overlooking if I disconnect the battery?

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Even with the software update, if you only occasionally use the CRV it would not be a bad idea to use a maintenance charger. Of course it helps if the vehicle is normally parked in a garage where you can plug it in the charger. I do this with my wife's vehicle.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Wasn't the battery drain associated with the parking brake software on certain cars? I recall reading of their fix for this some time back. I have an early '17 Touring (built maybe Dec 2016) and it has never had this issue even after sitting for three weeks without being driven. I do recall it being discussed that if you turn off the automatic parking brake that might solve it until you get the software update. But, I am not the expert on this particular issue as my CR-V was not impacted like some others.

Dealer should be able to get you taken car of. If not you always have the Lemon Laws to protect you (see your owners manual Warranty section).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ended up with a very good service-interface person, and he said it didn't come up for my car in his computer. I showed him the PDF on my computer and that my VIN was in the range specified. The service people found nothing wrong, and my service-interface dude said he printed the TSB 17-032 and showed it to them. They went ahead with the update. I don't know yet whether it's changed anything - I haven't had any problems in the couple weeks since, but recently sometimes it's longer than that between failures. So, still no confident answer on the effects of disconnecting the battery when I'm away for 10 days or so, but hopefully this will address the main shorter-term problem.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I would mention that if this problem isn't corrected quickly, that you think the lemon law might apply. I think that will get their attention.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I agree 100%. They should fix it, and give you a loaner car while they are working on it. You should be able to leave the car at the airport for months and not have to worry about the battery.
I really doubt that most modern vehicles would not discharge their batteries if they sat for months without being charged.
On older vehicles, that wasn't a problem, but the newer ones do have a fairly high parasitic drain on their batteries, due to electronic drains going on for unlocking with fob, auto sensing when the fob is close, theft alarms, etc.

On my old 1990 Montero or my 86 Chev, they could sit for probably a yr and still hold a charge,
New ones, not likely.

Buffalo4

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Post-hoc analysis: They wouldn't have suggested the TSB if I hadn't mentioned it, and they didn't agree that it applied to my car after I pointed it out. Even though my car is in the VIN range specified on the TSB, and it's posted on THEIR website, it doesn't come up automatically when they search their internal system for the TSBs that are relevant to my car. Anyway, they did apply the software update after I strongly requested it. I haven't had problem starting the car since then, but it hasn't been long enough to be sure that it is fixed.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
So, still no confident answer on the effects of disconnecting the battery when I'm away for 10 days or so, but hopefully this will address the main shorter-term problem.
To answer your question, nothing bad will happen if you disconnect the battery for an extended period... in fact that is exactly what you should do if your not planning to use the vehicle for a long time. When you reconnect the battery and start the CRV you will see several alarms saying that various safety system are disabled, such as VSA, LKA, ACC ect. Just ignore them, they will clear when you drive about a 1/4 mile, giving the system time to test the various systems to be sure they are functioning ok.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts