Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a deposit down yesterday for an EX L. Trying to figure out my best strategy for having our two Dobermans ride with me. I'm 52 miles from my dealer so I can't just run over and check a measurement. I'm wondering if any of you use your vehicle on a regular basis for taking your dogs with you ? I'm looking at a couple possibilities, one is to use a dog barrier and no crates. This would give them freedom in the back but not allow them to come up front. Second possibility is to use two kennels side by side (providing there is enough space, need minimum 42 inches. I know the Nissan Rouge has 40 inches, not sure about Honda. I could also have one kennel at the back turned sideways using its side door entrance. A second kennel could be behind it also turned sideways using its front door entrance by using the back door of the vehicle. Would love to hear from some of you dog lovers using your vehicles for big dogs. Thanks !

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
963 Posts
I know ive seen some images of the seat in the rear covered and dogs latched.
Some companies have the split ones in the rear trunk area but i think you’ll dogs will fit but unsure how much space they’ll have to turn per say.

we had kicked around a larger dog but ended up buying a corgi puppy in december so we just use the leash clip and he passes out.

You could def do the dual kennels (trunk and back seat with seats flipped down.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I just put a deposit down yesterday for an EX L. Trying to figure out my best strategy for having our two Dobermans ride with me. I'm 52 miles from my dealer so I can't just run over and check a measurement. I'm wondering if any of you use your vehicle on a regular basis for taking your dogs with you ? I'm looking at a couple possibilities, one is to use a dog barrier and no crates. This would give them freedom in the back but not allow them to come up front. Second possibility is to use two kennels side by side (providing there is enough space, need minimum 42 inches. I know the Nissan Rouge has 40 inches, not sure about Honda. I could also have one kennel at the back turned sideways using its side door entrance. A second kennel could be behind it also turned sideways using its front door entrance by using the back door of the vehicle. Would love to hear from some of you dog lovers using your vehicles for big dogs. Thanks !
If you do not have rear seat passengers, then another option would be to use a seat cover and a pair of short dog tethers in the back set. Just be sure to use a harness, NOT a collar, if you go the tether route... for the dogs safety in the event of an impact. You will need a dog seat cover if you go this route because otherwise their nails will damage your upholstery over time (there are many to choose from on Amazon). As long as the two Dobbies are fairly well behaved while you are moving, the tether protects them from injury in an impact, and also keeps each one on their own side of the back seat, with enough tether to lay down inf they like. An example tether: HERE

There is certainly enough room in the cargo bay for two Dobbies, (probably even two Dobbie sized crates, as long as they are not freaked being confined in a crate while driving. All you might need is an installed barrier to keep them from crawling over the back of the rear seat. I personally don't like this approach.. because unless you have them tethered in the cargo bay, opening the cargo door is a perfect opportunity for a dog to break away and get loose.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some companies have the split ones in the rear trunk area but i think you’ll dogs will fit but unsure how much space they’ll have to turn per say.

we had kicked around a larger dog but ended up buying a corgi puppy in december so we just use the leash clip and he passes out.

View attachment 139187

View attachment 139187
Cute dog ! I'm leaning towards doing 2 kennels, it's just a matter of what size. I think I could do two 36x28x30 for sure. I want to see if there is anyway I could possibly do one 42x28x30. That would be a better fit for my male where as the 36x28x30 would be fine for my female. I just want to get everything figured out before I pick the new vehicle up. I'm looking forward to the CR V , it's been 14 years since we bought new vehicles.

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
963 Posts
Mock up in cardboard and shoot to a dealer n set it inside.
You can find dimensions online also

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Cute dog ! I'm leaning towards doing 2 kennels, it's just a matter of what size. I think I could do two 36x28x30 for sure. I want to see if there is anyway I could possibly do one 42x28x30. That would be a better fit for my male where as the 36x28x30 would be fine for my female. I just want to get everything figured out before I pick the new vehicle up. I'm looking forward to the CR V , it's been 14 years since we bought new vehicles.
I think you are going to be disappointed then, unless you choose a configuration with the rear seat down. Even then, you may have challenges depending on how the doors on the kennel crates are laid out.

For gen 5 CRVs.... the cargo bay dimensions are as follows:

Width between the wheel wells is 41"; non wheel well width is 57.5" (for your purposes, you need to use the 41 inch width between the wheel wells).

Length is a little more complicated as the back hatch is curved so the distance on the sides is less than the middle. That said, here is the distance based on different configurations:

With passengers in the back seat, the cargo area is 38" deep in the middle and 35" deep on the left and right sides.

With the back seat folded down, it is 73" deep in the middle and 70.5" on the sides. -- With the front passenger seat all the way forward, the distance is 83"

A photo of what you are dealing with.. particularly the wheel well on each side:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Even with a CRV in your driveway, figuring space for kennels can be a bit tricky -- especially if you rely just on measurements.

That is, although the CRV cargo area is nicely boxy-shaped, the surfaces & edges are not perfectly flat.

For example, the max rear opening is nearly 35". That's fine for short items you can load at an angle. But sliding in a 42" long kennel, the measurement you really need is the vertical distance perpendicular to level. That measurement is 32". And the opening height isn't a perfect box shape; it's a bit rounded at the edges, so the opening's height gets a bit smaller for boxes wider than about 2 feet or so.

More importantly, the cargo floor rises where the rear seats fold. That decreases the available height as you slide in that 42-inch long kennel.

Another cargo measurement: Almost 41" between the rear wheel arches. That's a problem if you want 2 kennels side-by-side. But maybe it's not a problem, because the rear seat is about 52" wide. So, you might be able to fit one kennel across the folded rear seats -- with a 2nd kennel between the wheel arches.

And I'd use Mover's Blankets to protect the interior -- which diminishes the minimum 30" interior height over the folded seats.

Bottom Line: As BoostedV suggested, make a mock-up kennel in cardboard -- BEFORE you buy new kennels for your new CRV.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm guessing the kennels won't be a permanent fixture in your CRV.

So, will you always bother loading the kennels & calming the dogs enough to load 'em in the kennels?

For short impromptu trips and emergencies, I bet you'll just open the rear doors and the dogs will jump in.

That's why I suggest you get a heavy-duty seat cover, like this:

SeatKeeper Universal Standard Bench seat cover

Rear seat dimensions for CRV (and SeatKeeper):
-- width 52" (56")
-- depth 20" (23")
-- height 25" (27")
So there's some overlap for complete coverage.

Of course, it's best if your dogs are safely tethered.

Full disclosure: I've never had a rear seat SeatKeeper. But I had the SeatKeeper F-Cap for 8 years continuously covering the beige cloth front seats in my 2011 CRV. And now, I transferred the same covers to my 2019 CRV.

Yes, those covers are over 8 years old. They are seriously durable... the backing is a heavy-duty commercial-grade waterproof non-slip material. The few times they needed cleaning, I just hosed 'em off. Admittedly I never had a dog on 'em, but the material feels so sturdy that I expect it would easily resist dog claws.

Especially useful when I'm wearing work clothes -- and for my incontinent elderly mother.

And they slip off in seconds if you want to use the seat heaters.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What, no photos of your Dobermans?

My 110-lb Akita.
View attachment 139289
View attachment 139291
Sadly, after 13 healthy years, I had to put him down in 2005.
Thank you so much for all your information, its very helpful. Using kennels in an SUV is a new experience for me. I have always just put my dog on a safety chain that is hooked to the back seat frame. Our trainer likes using a kennel in the back of his Suv, its a permanent fixture. He feels its much safer for the dogs ,for his use he uses a 36 inch kennel. Here is a picture of our boy.
Preachers CGC Test 131.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
We had two Irish Setters were were not comfortable in a vehicle unless they were in a crate. Our CRV only holds one crate. We bought a Pilot after trading in our van when we needed to take two crates.

It is unsafe to travel with dogs who are not in a crate. Please protect them.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thank you so much for all your information, its very helpful. Using kennels in an SUV is a new experience for me. I have always just put my dog on a safety chain that is hooked to the back seat frame. Our trainer likes using a kennel in the back of his Suv, its a permanent fixture. He feels its much safer for the dogs ,for his use he uses a 36 inch kennel. Here is a picture of our boy. View attachment 139325 View attachment 139325
That's a serious dog. And great-looking too... award-winning?

·
Registered
5 Posts
No, no, no. I travel with service dogs in my 2007 CRV. Yes all seats would benefit from covers, but the safest way I have found is a hammock for the back seat. You could have seat harnesses too if you wanted, but it is not always necessary. I live in Brooklyn so there are always short stops. You need to protect the dogs from falling into the space in front of the seats. Go look at crash simulations with dogs. The dogs always get whipped around even with harnesses. And they can fall into this area or have other twists whcih could directly injure their spines. So I have opted for a sturdy hammock that goes from the top of the front seats, down and over the back seat and attaches at top of the rear seat. My dogs really love it. I use a ramp for my senior dog, and that is easy too--i just store it behind the hammock.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's a serious dog. And great-looking too... award-winning?
Thank you, he comes from a show line however we do not show him. The picture was taken after he recently completed his CGC training, he is about to complete his Novice CGC training. We are on the fence about getting a companion for him. His brother just fathered a litter that was born 3 weeks ago. We are hoping for a red female but there is a lady also wanting one to show. Usually show gets preference over pet ownership.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2011 CRV and a 100+ lb Rottie mix. She goes on short trips only (under 30 minutes). I put her in the cargo area and she stays there. I have the rubber cargo mat which helps protect the back floor. We didn't train her to do that, but I think she's just too big to come over the back seat. She has a leash and collar on but not tethered to anything. We have trained her to stay when the back hatch is opened...she's good about following the stay command. Just my input...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a 2011 CRV and a 100+ lb Rottie mix. She goes on short trips only (under 30 minutes). I put her in the cargo area and she stays there. I have the rubber cargo mat which helps protect the back floor. We didn't train her to do that, but I think she's just too big to come over the back seat. She has a leash and collar on but not tethered to anything. We have trained her to stay when the back hatch is opened...she's good about following the stay command. Just my input... View attachment 139383
Thank you, that's a big girl you have. I went to the dealership and took a bunch of measurements. Looks like if I'm going to have two dogs I will need two 36 inch crates. I will but one in the back using the lift gate and the other one behind the front seats using the back door for access. Our new vehicle is suppose to come in next week.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts