Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an 01 CRV and I will tell you in a heartbeat, for me I get better acceleration and response from a dead stop using 93 Octane than the 87 Octane.

with the 87 Octane I get sluggish response and the vehicle feels heavy.

with the 93 Octane the vehicle seems to float down the back roads and the highway.

·
Registered
43 Posts
disappointed Newbie

Hi guys; I'm a new CR-V owner love the car, with the exception of the gas mileage and performance. Thinking I'd get great gas mileage and all wheel drive, I thought I could live with out the performance, but........My sister-in-law has had several civics, and has always gotten better than the dealer sticker / EPA estimates, so was hoping for the same (she's gotten 38 - 40 mpg's with her 1.8 Civic on highway trips). I recently drove a Hyundai Sonata rental, (V6) and it got 34mpg's! If I had known what I know now, maybe would have went with a car with more spunk if it's going to get typical 6 cyl mileage. I traded an older Buick Park avenue with a 3.8 V6 that got 21 mpg. For the CRV, I've been averaging around 25-26 (about 30% town driving, 70% highway for both cars) or so with the CRV, which doesn't seem to be that great of an improvement over the Buick. I'm hoping I won't be disappointed with the reliability part. This is my first Honda, and first foreign car (use to believe in only buying American) but the Big 3's reliability caused me to switch. I'm hoping that I won't regret my purchase, but the so-so mileage and ho hum performance is giving me a little case of buyer's remorse....... :( based upon what I'm reading, seems average or should I pay a call on the dealer and have them check it? I've got about 5k miles on it now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi guys; I'm a new CR-V owner love the car, with the exception of the gas mileage and performance. Thinking I'd get great gas mileage and all wheel drive, I thought I could live with out the performance, but........My sister-in-law has had several civics, and has always gotten better than the dealer sticker / EPA estimates, so was hoping for the same (she's gotten 38 - 40 mpg's with her 1.8 Civic on highway trips). I recently drove a Hyundai Sonata rental, (V6) and it got 34mpg's! If I had known what I know now, maybe would have went with a car with more spunk if it's going to get typical 6 cyl mileage. I traded an older Buick Park avenue with a 3.8 V6 that got 21 mpg. For the CRV, I've been averaging around 25-26 (about 30% town driving, 70% highway for both cars) or so with the CRV, which doesn't seem to be that great of an improvement over the Buick. I'm hoping I won't be disappointed with the reliability part. This is my first Honda, and first foreign car (use to believe in only buying American) but the Big 3's reliability caused me to switch. I'm hoping that I won't regret my purchase, but the so-so mileage and ho hum performance is giving me a little case of buyer's remorse....... :( based upon what I'm reading, seems average or should I pay a call on the dealer and have them check it? I've got about 5k miles on it now.
Strat - I have owned 6 new ( 4 ) Hondas (2) Acuras. Hondas/Acuras have always been sensitive cars imo in that they respond quickly to different types of input either from fluids / fuels , and driver involvement. 1st, do not baby your car. They engineer these things to out perform so if you are being a wuss with the throttle stop right now and start driving the darn thing. As long as you maintain it correctly, and let it properly warm up ( idle about 30 seconds after cold starting before driving away ) and then get it up to operating temp before hammering the throttle ( maybe a few minutes of normal driving after cold starts ) then let it rip. Your car will learn your driving characteristics, and your car will run more optimally being driven with a more agressive throttle then a light foot. This doesn't mean stomp on the throttle pulling away from every stop light ( this causes stress on axles and such ) but once you are moving and some of that stress is being distributed to the suspension and chassis, HAMMER on the throttle whenever you want to accelerate away. Its a higher compression 4 cyclinder engine, it will be abrupt when it gets into the power band and it will go at or near redline. Its cool though, thats how it's meant to be. If you don't like that, then you bought the wrong vehicle imo. Also, use a quality gas at all times. I personally like Shell. Also, a good synthetic oil does provide added benefit. Synthetics are man made lubes ( or have man made properties added to a biological base ) but their particles are smaller than convential oils and they get in places convential oils can't so there is less friction. Less friction is good! I use Penzoil Platinum ( 5w-30 ) that I buy from Walmart for $28 in a 5 quart container. 5 quarts is all you need. Yes, our car says 0w-20 and no it won't hurt it using 5w-30. If you feel better, buy the 5w-20. I live in Houston and because of higher heat and humidity, I like the 5w-30. It CAN NOT void your warranty and it won't harm your engine one iota. Bring the oil to your Honda dealer, let them sell you the filter and oil change service for $22 and for $ 50 you got a dang good oil, a Honda filter, and professionals to change your oil. Worth it imo . OP, do all this and drive it for another 1k miles then get back to us on your thoughts. Good luck!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Rhino,

Thanks for the advise; I'll give some of it a try :) the not babying it I question a little, as the harder you are on a vehicle the more friction / wear you cause on the engine and drive train too, correct? So while I'm not afraid to "get on it" when I need to, I'm a little reluctant to drive it as I did my Park Ave. I tend to keep cars at least 10 years, and 100+ miles, and want this to last a while...........especially since I paid as much for this car as I did my Park (which at the time in a whole different class of vehicle).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rhino,

Thanks for the advise; I'll give some of it a try :) the not babying it I question a little, as the harder you are on a vehicle the more friction / wear you cause on the engine and drive train too, correct? So while I'm not afraid to "get on it" when I need to, I'm a little reluctant to drive it as I did my Park Ave. I tend to keep cars at least 10 years, and 100+ miles, and want this to last a while...........especially since I paid as much for this car as I did my Park (which at the time in a whole different class of vehicle).
Strat - I can completely understand your very rationale thinking, but give this some thinking too. If you were to engineer a vehicle, and you were Honda and your brand name and reputation depended on the owner of that cars experience with it. How would you engineer it and to what tolerances? Would you over engineer it and design it to run best when driven more aggressively, or with Honda already having a performance oriented reputation, would you engineer it to be driven mildly? I have owned Hondas since 1989, have had 2 go over 200k miles and the others I sold just because I got bored. I have NEVER had any mechanical issues other than trivial stuff ( I had to replace a window motor on an 03 rsx-s once and an O2 sensor too ), and I have always maintained my vehicles top notch. I have always too driven mine like I described to you above, and THAT is why this 2010 CR-V is my 6th Honda. When they begin to break down on me from driving them this way, that will be the day I switch makers. Drive it how you choose, but from reading your complaints from the above post and this being your 1st Honda, this is my personal suggestion to you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
As mentioned earlier, I did my test (1500+ miles) and have concluded that if there is a difference it is not worth the extra $$. Premium fuel (92 Octane around here) is $.20 more expensive and we only averaged 1.1 MPG (28.5) more than usual. So I'll return to running 87 Octane at a more appealing price.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Premium

As being an owner of a hemi dodge and reading the manual recommended fuel for that vehicle was 89 octane. But reading further into the manual it recommends that if youre pulling a heavy load you may use higher 91 octane. So with this theory in mind while taking a trip in which you load your butt and your luggage and maybe your partners also you are putting a load on your vehicle which would calculate out the need to run higher octane. Also they consider 55 mph to be cruising speed for highway and since most run 75 that would be higher drag or load on the vehicle so higher octane. Everyone should try mid grade for a run and not premium.

·
Registered
193 Posts
This is a VERY helpful discussion thread and I learned a lot. I think this discussion thread probably could qualify as as "sticky" thread, what do you think?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm still running 93.

My 2010 CRV now has 28K on her. I just did a 1100 mile round trip to Atlantic City, and, the car managed 29.9 MPG for the trip. One interstesting thing - on the return leg, I filled her up with 93 on the New Jersey TP, and, I apparently got gas without ethanol in it. For that tank - her fuel economy jumped up to 32.5, and, I was cruising at 70 for most of the time.

Regards:
Oldengineer

·
Registered
1 Posts
The CRV isn't known to be a powerful vehicle and I find responsiveness sluggish in comparison to my 2004 Mitsubishi Galant. Will using higher-octane gas help increase responsiveness, and improve milage?
I switched to mid grade gas my CRV runs much better and gas mileage went up 3 miles a gallon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree, I've used regular for 14 yers in my 04 CRV. Just recently changed over to premium and I have to admit, much better responsiveness and overall power. Her exhaust doesn't smell quite as harsh on starts as regular did (don't know if that actually has anything to do with the fuel). Hoping it will help keep the carbon deposits at a low.

·
Registered
821 Posts
You now that it doesn't make any sense.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts