Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Forgive me if I have posted this question in the wrong area....

We love our 2017 CRV Touring. However, we have one annoying "feature" that we would like to be able to bypass. We cannot change the SatNav while the vehicle is in motion; even if the tires are barely turning.

This means that if we are driving down the freeway, and need to change routes, we have to pull over and come to a complete stop!!! We find this VERY aggravating.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for road safety (hello peeps who talk and text while driving), but.....

Is there a way to bypass this safety feature???

Thanks in advance!

Bear

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have started navigating to a new destination while driving, using the voice commands. Are you using voice, or trying to enter using the touchscreen?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I think you may be going at this the wrong way. We change destinations all the time while moving. I suggest you might want to work more on this using the manual for the Garmin GPS that came with your vehicle.

·
Registered
730 Posts
You can change or start a new route by initiating the change with voice commands. Once you start making changes using the voice command the system then allows you to use the touch screen. I don't see this as a serious problem, you just need to know the work around.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Zooming, unzooming

I normally use the display as-is when navigating, that is, let the zoom level be the default, automatic.

Recently, in strange territory, I zoomed out via 'pinch' to get a bigger picture, then wanted to return to the previous scale and zoom level. Is there a quick, simple way to revert to that view?

Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have zoomed in before, and while I am not positive, I think you can reset the zoom level by pressing the back button that is located on the left side of the screen. It is a curved arrow near the bottom that looks similar to the "Reply" arrow at the bottom of this message.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think you can reset the zoom level by pressing the back button that is located on the left side of the screen. It is a curved arrow near the bottom that looks similar to the "Reply" arrow at the bottom of this message.
I'm pretty sure you can also just hit the "map" button on the display, and that will reset it to its default...
Thanks for your help. I couldn't get either to work, though.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I did a little more experimentation this morning, which has muddied the waters. As I was leaving home, I pinched-out the map, and within a few seconds it reverted to default on its own. I tried again on the freeway, and it didn't revert, nor did hitting Map work. But as I was exiting the freeway, when I dropped below 50mph it resized on its own.

So I have two theories, both of which fit the limited data I have so far. 1) Above 50 it stays where you put it no matter what; below 50 it will resize automatically and perhaps if you hit the Map button (although when I did that before, it might just have been a coincidence that I hit the Map button as it was resizing on its own). Or 2) After you manually resize the map, it will revert to default when the map would change size under normal conditions, which doesn't often happen during freeway driving.

I'll do some more experimentation, but in the coming days I'll only be taking a few short trips on surface streets and on Thursday I'm leaving for vacation, so it may be a while before I accumulate any meaningful data, especially for freeway driving.

·
Registered
308 Posts
All Garmins will resize when you get close to a turn and then zoom out when you have a longer stretch. As far as moving navigation, I have used voice commands with success; it is pretty accurate except it requires a menu structure to get to the place where you can command the address. It's best to read the manual and practice in the driveway. For example, you can press voice on the steering wheel twice and bypass the rather long option list. Another GOOD option is to setup "Home" once and then it is always quickly available on the steering wheel "Info" screen as the first choice under the mapping selection. The advantage is that you can always get out of a strange neighborhood or area and back to the freeway towards home quickly with no setup. Then most people can find their way if another destination is desired.

Also setup any other frequent destination as a favorite and the same steering wheel, speedometer screen selection pops up. You then just arrow down to the favorite.

Finally, as another option, you can access Siri or alternatives by pressing and holding the voice button, assuming your phone is setup with bluetooth to the car AND you have good bandwidth at your location. At that point you can ask for directions and Siri can guide you with voice directions. Obviously the built-in nav is better; cell phone connectivity is never an issue and you get better warning times and even freeway sign graphics with the nav system.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts