Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to CVTs and was wondering if frequent shifting into the Sport mode is hard on the transmission.

I drive in hilly areas from time to time and could really use more engine braking. I observe that the RPM does rise on some downhills while in Drive, but not always and not as much as I'd like. Sport mode does the trick, but I worry about increasing wear on the transmission.

Do any of you have any technical, fact based info on whether shifting into sport mode inflicts harm (a little or alot) on the transmission, or is that fully within its design, and I can do it as much as I want? I'm hoping for factual, technical feedback on the CR-V's (or similar) CVT, rather than anecdotal speculation.

thanks!

Roy

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,579 Posts
Safety matters more than wearing out parts. Some will say that brakes are cheaper but, if the hills warrant the extra braking that sports mode gives you don't hesitate to use it.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Based on my limited knowledge of the CVT, I don't think it hurts anything. I have a Burgman 650 Maxi-Scooter that has a Power button that does the same thing as the Sport selection of my CRV. I've used it for years for engine braking and acceleration on steep crooked mountain roads. The CVT in both of them are really ECVT (for electronic). The CVT uses pulleys and a belt to change speeds. The speed change is when the pulleys change sizes to change the gearing. The power pulley is small at takeoff and the other pulley is larger and as you go faster, the power pulley gets larger (the sides move closer together) and the other pulley gets smaller which makes the gear ratio get higher. The electronics in Sport mode tells the transmission to keep the power pulley smaller to keep the ratio lower.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have eyed the Burgman 650 for years. I was always intrigued by the rather sophisticated CVT it has. A much nicer one than what is common on smaller scooters.

I too, think using Sport mode on the CR-V is reasonably safe, since it seems to shift down very gently when needed. Perhaps shifting to Sport mode is no different than what the transmission normally does when it shifts gears on its own!

But I wanted to run this by the braintrust here at Crvownersclub to be more sure!

--R

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have eyed the Burgman 650 for years. I was always intrigued by the rather sophisticated CVT it has. A much nicer one than what is common on smaller scooters.

I too, think using Sport mode on the CR-V is reasonably safe, since it seems to shift down very gently when needed. Perhaps shifting to Sport mode is no different than what the transmission normally does when it shifts gears on its own!

But I wanted to run this by the braintrust here at Crvownersclub to be more sure!

--R
The CVT in the Burgman 650 is more controllable than the one in the CRV. The CRV has D & S modes for performance levels but there is no control of the engine speed changes on acceleration or upgrades. The Burgman 650 lets you choose the gear you want and it stays there until you stop. You can lock it into OD or other gear and the CVT locks in and the engine won't change speed unless the vehicle speed changes. It's a nice option but I don't find that it makes any difference in fuel mileage and it doesn't perform as well. It's fun to play with but I don't see any practical reason for it. I previously had a Burgman 400 with a conventional CVT that I liked far less.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts