Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the weekend I stopped in my local Toyota dealer to see in the 2019 RAV4 was in it, it wasn't my wife has a 2015, nice car. I got to talking to the salesperson who asked what I was looking for, when would I be buying etc... He asked me if I plan to trade in the CR-V, I said I'm not sure. He then said you might be better off selling it yourself. Toyota knows the issues with the 1.5 engine and if you trade it into to use we will take of X amount because of that. So the Toyota dealer knows all about the issues yet my Honda dealer a mile down the road has no idea what I'm talking about

·
Registered
21 Posts
Over the weekend I stopped in my local Toyota dealer to see in the 2019 RAV4 was in it, it wasn't my wife has a 2015, nice car. I got to talking to the salesperson who asked what I was looking for, when would I be buying etc... He asked me if I plan to trade in the CR-V, I said I'm not sure. He then said you might be better off selling it yourself. Toyota knows the issues with the 1.5 engine and if you trade it into to use we will take of X amount because of that. So the Toyota dealer knows all about the issues yet my Honda dealer a mile down the road has no idea what I'm talking about
SAMETING here in quebec the dealer said to me no cr-v 2017 and 2018 take in exchange

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Folks,

For various reasons I'm out as a CRV owner as of 4 pm today. One thing of note I thought you may be interested in is there was no issue getting over KBB value for my EX in the "excellent" category.

It's been a very interesting ride on this forum. I've been members of many over the years and this one I can say had some big passion. Good luck to everyone with all the many miles to come.

Thanks.
It seems like others are not having a problem. Toyota might not be the best place to go right now, they have been feeling the CRV sales heat for the last two years. Our local Toyota dealerships are offering 10% off and 1 year of free insurance up to $1200 in value with the purchase of any 2018 RAV4.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It seems like others are not having a problem. Toyota might not be the best place to go right now, they have been feeling the CRV sales heat for the last two years. Our local Toyota dealerships are offering 10% off and 1 year of free insurance up to $1200 in value with the purchase of any 2018 RAV4.
Thats pretty normal at least around here. They want to move out those 2018's.

And on top of everything else I just took a look at the local long range winter forecast for Philadelphia (if you believe it). Below normal temps and above normal snow, a lot more snow than normal :cussing:

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Thats pretty normal at least around here. They want to move out those 2018's.

And on top of everything else I just took a look at the local long range winter forecast for Philadelphia (if you believe it). Below normal temps and above normal snow, a lot more snow than normal :cussing:
They started that promotion over 3 months ago and my Toyota service guy says that it has still not helped sales all that much. BTW we also had another owner on here who sold his CRV and he was not complaining about the resale value.

·
Registered
351 Posts
That's their BS talk not to give you a decent trade value.

There is nothing outstanding right now, affecting the value of 2017 and 2018 CR-V's.

Residual value for the first 3 to years is all predetermined. It's what makes leases work for OEM's.

Articles like this are not yet changing either;

·
Registered
29 Posts
If the salesman's lips were moving, he was lying..... Just more BS so he could make more money on the deal.....

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Finding an imagined "fault" in your trade-in so they can low-ball you, and therefore offer you a "great" deal on the new vehicle they'd like you to buy is a typical car-sales trick.

If he truly thought you could get a better price yourself... well, of course you can get a better price selling the car independently, that's the way it always works, for every car. Any "issues" affecting the trade-in market would affect private buyers as well, since it's buyers that are the eventual target for trade-ins.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
That's their BS talk not to give you a decent trade value.

There is nothing outstanding right now, affecting the value of 2017 and 2018 CR-V's.

Residual value for the first 3 to years is all predetermined. It's what makes leases work for OEM's.

Articles like this are not yet changing either;

Accurate.
The other member just got high kbb value for his on the mazda.

Op you seem to hate your crv, want class actions every week, pushing the fix, just dump it and move on

·
Registered
533 Posts
I hope you guys are right because I'm really thinking about trading my CRV before my engine melts down. I want the RAV4 but then I don't want the model first year. That leaves me with BMW.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I traded my 17 CR-V after 14 months. It was several months after the complaints started coming in. I had fuel in my oil in Florida and was not waiting for engine damage or wide spread knowledge. I traded in April on a Highlander Hybrid and got 1000 over excellent KBB. But here's the thing, when you trade you never know what you could have gotten them down to, so you decide early, after research, what looks like the amount you consider fair or you are willing to pay and then just do it. If salesman wants money to search for your car or starts in with you are better off selling it yourself walk. There are other dealers.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I traded my 17 CR-V after 14 months. It was several months after the complaints started coming in. I had fuel in my oil in Florida and was not waiting for engine damage or wide spread knowledge. I traded in April on a Highlander Hybrid and got 1000 over excellent KBB. But here's the thing, when you trade you never know what you could have gotten them down to, so you decide early, after research, what looks like the amount you consider fair or you are willing to pay and then just do it. If salesman wants money to search for your car or starts in with you are better off selling it yourself walk. There are other dealers.
Dealers 99.99999% always make money on cars. For them to offer you a sweet deal on your trade-in, then you must have offered them a sweet deal on your offer. Tit for tat.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Wait and see what Honda will give you on a 2019, it will be hard for them to low ball their own product. If they do you will know all you need to know about Honda and move on.....

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
There seems to be a constant barge of posts trying to push the next good reason why someone should not buy a CRV.
The information is almost always irrelevant as it is often shot down in quick order, but the lingering arguments and off topic discussions make sure it stays on the first page of the forum for weeks. We just got finished yesterday with the fake "CR no longer recommends Honda" thread which was finally closed and now this one pops up.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I hope you guys are right because I'm really thinking about trading my CRV before my engine melts down. I want the RAV4 but then I don't want the model first year. That leaves me with BMW.

If you're going to dump it on trade, PM me with details first!

I'm in SE WI as well and might have more than one person interested to get you a little better than a trade amount.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Wait and see what Honda will give you on a 2019, it will be hard for them to low ball their own product. If they do you will know all you need to know about Honda and move on.....
Very good idea. But then again I don't know if I want a 2019 CRV though. Don't trust Honda saying the issue is fixed with 2019. Not until 2020 when enough people buy it and no one complains about the same issue.

·
Registered
533 Posts
If you're going to dump it on trade, PM me with details first!

I'm in SE WI as well and might have more than one person interested to get you a little better than a trade amount.
Sounds good. I tend to buy and hold until the wheels fall off but if someone could make me an offer I can't absolutely refuse ...

·
Banned
353 Posts
Toyota might not be the best place to go right now, they have been feeling the CRV sales heat for the last two years...
They started that promotion over 3 months ago and my Toyota service guy says that it has still not helped sales all that much.
Here are the actual sales figures...

October Sales:
CRV - 27,790
Rav4 - 34,004

Year-to-date Sales:
CRV - 305,454 (down 1.3%)
Rav4 - 353,149 (up 2.0%)

The 6 year old Rav4 has sold 50K more units than the newly redesigned CRV.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2018/11/small-suv-sales-in-america-october-2018/

·
Registered
533 Posts
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.