Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headline says it all :)

What is the valve clearance on a CR-V 1997 B20B engine??

I looked around and cant find it, both exhaust and intake.

Thank you!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!

Why didnt i try it first :confused: , i own my first Honda after 7 toyotas and all Toyos have a sticker like the one you mention.

I asked because i found 4-5 different values of valve clearence on the net

now i hope its there and not eaten up by age.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I just looked at the underhood sticker on my 1999 CRV. The intake clearance is 0.10 mm and exhaust 0.18 mm.

For the old inch guy that I am, that's 4 thou and 7 thou.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did the ajustment on the valves yesterday, that a difference. My engine runs much better now, theres really a BIG difference.

Cleaned my idle air intake control at the same time, seems to be a new (old) car, running 1500 rpm at cold start. Before cleaning it took a minute to get there.

I just hope i havent got a burned valve, the exhaust valves there tight (0.004 inch) and one was at 0.000 :confused: , the intake side had no failure.
But the engine runs really fine, and no wrong sounds.

Im new to Honda and learned a lesson! By the way: I looked in the maintence manual, it says control/ajust valves every 20000km (12500 miles) :eek:

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I believe most cars under going a tune-up could benefit from having the valves adjusted first, assuming they have adjustable valves.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe once a year is enough? i will check it again after 5000 km just in case. Proberly before that, in a month or two then i re-paint my ugly valvecover.

By the way: My idle problems where solved, cleaning my idle air control valve (did it before ajusting valves) Some people say it cant be cleaned up, i flushed it with a can of brake-cleaner and my airgun.

And yes, a tune up is a good thing to do, not only the engine. im very interested in this thread kindly made by Umair :) http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/14-problems-issues/17074-1st-gen-crv-suspension-bushing-set.html

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update :

Then i did the ajustment, the spark plug in cylinder 2 didnt look good, it was black and havent run very well. Cleaned it up, and today i took it out for inspection after 5 days.

Now its only grey/brown :)

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Was that the cylinder with 0.000" clearance on the exhaust valve?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
That's good!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes and im happy about it.. and i cant figure having a burned valve with a brown/grey spark plug allready.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Listen at the exhaust pipe to see if it sounds nice and rhythmic. A burned valve will put an 'extra' pop in the exhaust note as you can hear the explosion of that cylinder if the valve is burned.
Your plug color wasn't good when it came out because the cylinder wasn't sealing to full extent so the gases burned differently with the tight valve. Now that it's properly sealed and the valve is opening/closing when it should the color will/should look more like the other plugs in time.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Even if the exhaust valve is not making a perfect seal, I've run lots of engines with imperfect vales for a long time. Sure you lose a bit of efficiency, but so what.

But if it's a real bad leak you might torch the valve, but valve materials are so good these days, I've not seen one torched in 25 years. And back then it was a British POS from an MG.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Even if the exhaust valve is not making a perfect seal, I've run lots of engines with imperfect vales for a long time. Sure you lose a bit of efficiency, but so what.
Exactly my thoughts, but the engine runs fine.. It runs so fine that my wife took notice of it, and she dosent drive herself. Thats proberbly the best recommendation i can get ;)

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Did she happen to make any comparisons to a sewing machine by chance?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts