Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today i took my 2017 CR-V EX AWD into the dealership because of an awful smell coming from the vents, starting when it got cold outside and when the heat was being used. The smell subsides after a few minutes. The dealership had a look but told me it would not be covered under warranty if it was a mouse or anything that was due to faulty equipment, even moisture/ mildew in which it smells of, dealership also acknowledged the smell. The dealership told me they could take apart the dashboard and all that to see but I will be screwed with a big bill if it wasn't something covered by warranty. So it leaves me at this to go ahead and find it myself and diagnose what it could be. What I was hoping for was A. has anyone else had this same issue B. Is there any type of PDF online showing the ventilation diagram of the 17 CR-V. Thanks

·
Registered
392 Posts
So today i took my 2017 CR-V EX AWD into the dealership because of an awful smell coming from the vents, starting when it got cold outside and when the heat was being used. The smell subsides after a few minutes. The dealership had a look but told me it would not be covered under warranty if it was a mouse or anything that was due to faulty equipment, even moisture/ mildew in which it smells of, dealership also acknowledged the smell. The dealership told me they could take apart the dashboard and all that to see but I will be screwed with a big bill if it wasn't something covered by warranty. So it leaves me at this to go ahead and find it myself and diagnose what it could be. What I was hoping for was A. has anyone else had this same issue B. Is there any type of PDF online showing the ventilation diagram of the 17 CR-V. Thanks
Try changing cabin air filter and see if it helps

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,572 Posts
If it doesn't smell like a dead mouse that crawled into the HVAC system and died...Check the carpets in the front passenger side for moisture. I had the condensation drain not connected to the AC unit which made a mess.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it doesn't smell like a dead mouse that crawled into the HVAC system and died...Check the carpets in the front passenger side for moisture. I had the condensation drain not connected to the AC unit which made a mess.
I will definitely check that, seeing that you have a CR V same year and model was this covered by the warranty? How did you end up finding this?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Well if it wasn't for the all weather mats that were hiding what was accumulating under them, we would have found it much sooner. But Like you, we started noticing a moldy smell and when hunting for it. Pull back the weather mats and the carpets were wet.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I will definitely check that, seeing that you have a CR V same year and model was this covered by the warranty? How did you end up finding this?
Pull off the lower panels on the console, you can do this pretty easily to diagnose.

Grab the lighted door sill protector installation instructions from college hills. It tells you how to take apart the entire lower dash on both sides. It's pretty easy, the only trick is the clip locations. The condensation drain is in the middle on the passenger side back near the firewall.

Good luck... Take pictures of you do this. If you see something amiss you can always take it in taken apart.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Using "recirculate" too much can cause musty/moldy odors. Set the HVAC to fresh air, fan on 4-5 and spray some Lysol on the outside at the base of the windshield, in the mesh looking area below the windshield. Again, select "fresh air" as often as possible.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
If you do find water check to see if water is dripping under the car when the AC is on. The drain line exits the car on the passenger side about a foot inside the front wheel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pull off the lower panels on the console, you can do this pretty easily to diagnose.

Grab the lighted door sill protector installation instructions from college hills. It tells you how to take apart the entire lower dash on both sides. It's pretty easy, the only trick is the clip locations. The condensation drain is in the middle on the passenger side back near the firewall.

Good luck... Take pictures of you do this. If you see something amiss you can always take it in taken apart.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Absolutely, I will post back when i figure out the issue. you guys have been very helpful! I will try and detail also my findings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It happened with my pilot. Check you insurance they might cover it under act of god clause as they did for me. Minus deductible on collision insurance.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Were they able to figure out what was causing the smell?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not to be a debbie downer, but I had a 2006 Dodge Caravan that smelled like bad feet. I never took it in, but the car was totaled in a crash in Dec 2016.

My new CR-V started smelling within weeks of owning it. I was like, what is the same as my old vehicle. Turned out to be Costco refrigerated bags. Took the bags out, smell went away. Those bags can get nasty fast.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts