Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2011's AC works well, but when it's on and I accelerate, there's often a hissing sound from the vents. I've only had the car for a couple months so I'm not sure if this is normal or not. Anyone else have this go on?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,932 Posts
Have to ask:

If you turn the climate controls OFF and accelerate, do you still hear a 'hiss'?

Does the 'hiss' noise change by opening or closing ALL the face-level vents?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have to ask:

If you turn the climate controls OFF and accelerate, do you still hear a 'hiss'?

Does the 'hiss' noise change by opening or closing ALL the face-level vents?
Hey, I only hear the hiss when AC is on. Not when climate controls are off or only if the air is blowing without AC. I can't close the middle two vents but still happens when I close the side vents

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm having some weird noises show up when my AC is running - typically a squeaking sound that you can hear when outside the vehicle. I want to get it checked out soon, but for anxiety's sake before then, how worried should I be about the black death issue?

·
Triangular Horse Knees
5,044 Posts
No need for two threads discussing the same thing.

Merged.

·
Triangular Horse Knees
5,044 Posts
No worries.

Just makes it easier for folks to reply on one thread as opposed to several :)

Reactions: Juiceboy

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,932 Posts
'Black Death' (of the A/C system) was an early Gen2 thing.

With Gen3 you need to watch for worn A/C compressor clutches, not being able to 'pull in' after a period of running.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
'Black Death' (of the A/C system) was an early Gen2 thing.

With Gen3 you need to watch for worn A/C compressor clutches, not being able to 'pull in' after a period of running.
Good to know - not ideal, but much better than the alternative. One interesting thing that I noted is that I can't replicate the squeaking noise outside the vehicle with AC on immediately after starting up the car. I even let it sit for about 10 minutes after startup with the AC on and it didn't happen. Only starts squeaking after I've been driving for a while.

·
Not-a-Mechanic
2011 CR-V 4WD EX
490 Posts
Long shot- Is it possible the battery is a bit weak and what you hear is increased air flow when it gets a bit more juice?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Long shot- Is it possible the battery is a bit weak and what you hear is increased air flow when it gets a bit more juice?
Interesting idea. It is an aftermarket battery that was put it by the previous owner so that's worth a look. Thanks

·
Registered
2009 Honda CR-V EX-L w/out NAV 4WD 4 Cylinders 2.4L FI DOHC 144 CID
45 Posts
Its know for blowing hot, thought it was mostly the A/C clutch. Had it replaced on my 09 5ish years ago. If you turn the a/c off and just blow air or turn it hot at the same speed does the go away? Could help rule out a leak?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its know for blowing hot, thought it was mostly the A/C clutch. Had it replaced on my 09 5ish years ago. If you turn the a/c off and just blow air or turn it hot at the same speed does the go away? Could help rule out a leak?
Yes the sound does go away when I turn the AC off but keep the blower motor on. That would make it less likely its a leak I'm assuming?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes the sound does go away when I turn the AC off but keep the blower motor on. That would make it less likely its a leak I'm assuming?
Do you have a multi meter to test the battery volt? It's odd that it happens while accelerating like udraft said. It's for sure from the inside of the car vents and not the bay? When you say the vents is it all or just one? If it's on the right side more, put your head or since it's while driving a friend's head under the glove box is it louder down there?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you have a multi meter to test the battery volt? It's odd that it happens while accelerating like udraft said. It's for sure from the inside of the car vents and not the bay? When you say the vents is it all or just one? If it's on the right side more, put your head or since it's while driving a friend's head under the glove box is it louder down there?
It sounds like it's coming up higher but I'll have a passenger test it out for me tonight. I'm starting to wonder if I'm having some voltage issues because I was also getting a squealing noise I could hear outside the vehicle with the AC on. Figured it was an AC thing, but then I was able to replicate the squeaking with AC off if I either turned the headlights on or turned the steering wheel. Might all be more related than I originally figured.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Just a longshot at it here: I wonder if your belt tensioner pulley is worn. They usually make more of a weird howling noise when the bearing wears out, but if they are too worn, they can also wobble slightly. I usually replace the belt when I replace the tensioner pulley.

The common failure on 3rd gen AC compressors is the clutch activation coil--the coil burns out and the clutch won't engage. I've replaced both of our compressors because of this issue (had a dealer do both--one was on a road trip halfway across the country). The coil can be replaced (it's difficult to get at if you are not removing the compressor), but I figured that if the compressor also quit, they'd have to redo pretty much the same job to replace it, so I opted for remanufactured Honda compressors both times. Clutches can also wear out--the gap between the clutch plates becomes too wide for the coil to engage, and the compressor will not start. But these would be on very high mileage cars where the AC is used a lot.

A squeaking could indicate some other issue with the AC clutch, but I've not had that happen with mine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just a longshot at it here: I wonder if your belt tensioner pulley is worn. They usually make more of a weird howling noise when the bearing wears out, but if they are too worn, they can also wobble slightly. I usually replace the belt when I replace the tensioner pulley.

The common failure on 3rd gen AC compressors is the clutch activation coil--the coil burns out and the clutch won't engage. I've replaced both of our compressors because of this issue (had a dealer do both--one was on a road trip halfway across the country). The coil can be replaced (it's difficult to get at if you are not removing the compressor), but I figured that if the compressor also quit, they'd have to redo pretty much the same job to replace it, so I opted for remanufactured Honda compressors both times. Clutches can also wear out--the gap between the clutch plates becomes too wide for the coil to engage, and the compressor will not start. But these would be on very high mileage cars where the AC is used a lot.

A squeaking could indicate some other issue with the AC clutch, but I've not had that happen with mine.
I'll check it out. I haven't looked closely, but it sounds like it's easier to hear when I stick my head under the vehicle. Could a crankshaft pulley be causing an issue? I'm hoping not because I've read horror stories about peoples' falling off and having to pay a fortune for repairs. My local Honda guy is taking a look next week, but I just want to make sure nothing catastrophic happens in the next week or so

·
Registered
45 Posts
How many miles are you at on the 11? I second what udraft said. Lose or damaged belt.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How many miles are you at on the 11? I second what udraft said. Lose or damaged belt.
130k. I think you're right. Just weird because I had it in the shop about a month ago and the guys told me the belt was fine. But I think you're all right, starting to notice the squeak will start any time I engage one of the accessories

1 - 20 of 23 Posts