Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Very loud brake noise when releasing brake

16K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  TheDarkKnight 
#1 ·
I have a 2021 hybrid. I’ve noticed the brakes sound awfully loud when releasing them. For example going from park to reverse. Is this just new brakes being worn in? I’ve had lots of new cars and never heard brakes make this much noise. Is this a hybrid thing? Also the brakes don’t make a bit of noise during regular stopping. Only when at a stop and releasing them to start driving or reversing.

video of the noise:

Thanks!

#7 ·
It is creaking when releasing the brakes. I’ve heard this before in other cars right after a car wash. But never this loud. This does it all the time. Braking while driving is very quiet.

It also does it whether or not the parking brake was engaged. For example today during a normal drive it was doing it very loudly. And the guy in front of me kept starting back as I was creeping in traffic.

#9 ·
Could this be due to a disk release lock?

I have a very similar sound, although definitely quieter and clearly depends on how quickly I release my foot from the brake. As soon as I release the brake pedal, there is practically no sound, when I release the brake very slowly, it is as if the new blocks are rubbing against the tiles.
We say that this is due to the new pads and the fact that the hybrid uses them much less often, so this sound may stay with us longer than in other cars.
I'll also try to record it at home.

#10 ·
5th gen owner here:

Question to OP (Operator) Do the test without the Ebrake on, at all, does it make the noise?

I say that because we all now have a newer brake system, with a Gear/motor on the rear only. on the two calipars. If they are malfunctioning then like what was said, under warranty, knowing we're asking hey does your car do this can there be a fix I can do.

Sure you can spend the funds or have the dealer do the repair for free.

#11 ·
5th gen owner here:

Question to OP (Operator) Do the test without the Ebrake on, at all, does it make the noise?

I say that because we all now have a newer brake system, with a Gear/motor on the rear only. on the two calipars. If they are malfunctioning then like what was said, under warranty, knowing we're asking hey does your car do this can there be a fix I can do.

Sure you can spend the funds or have the dealer do the repair for free.
from his post #7 —

“It also does it whether or not the parking brake was engaged. For example today during a normal drive it was doing it very loudly. And the guy in front of me kept starting back as I was creeping in traffic.”

#15 ·
I’m going to give the brakes about 1000 miles to wear in some. I have 250 miles currently. If the sound hasn’t gotten quieter by then I’ll take it in to the dealer. It doesn’t seem to be effecting the functionality at all, it’s just really loud and kind of embarrassing to be in a brand new car with the brakes so loud like that.

#20 ·
I definitely don't get that sound using the foot brake. It does sound similar to a sound I get once in a while when releasing the parking brake though.
I'd definitely have the dealer look and listen. If they tell you it's "normal" ask to drive a different car of the same model and see if it does it.
I've been impressed with how well Honda "simulates" a purely hydraulic friction brake. It's difficult to tell when it transitions from regen to friction.
Other hybrids I've driven make it extremely obvious when that transition happens.

#24 ·
Hello Folks

My CRV 2019 Hybrid makes the same noise since new. I have now about 40000 miles.
It is only when releasing the brakes slowly at low speed. Especially when you are rolling downhill at walking speed and braking slowly it makes this noise during brake release.
So it has noting to do with Brake hold or Park brake.
I asked the Dealer several times what we can do against.
But he said it is no problem it is only an accustical resonanz created by rubbing at low speed.
On my opinion it has something to do with the material of the Brake Pads.
Shure it no safety problem.
I will let you know when I find out more.

#25 · (Edited)
This issue manifested today in a new way: the car refused to roll backwards after releasing the parking brake and brake pedal. I had to apply gas and then it kind of jerked.

But he said it is no problem it is only an accustical resonanz created by rubbing at low speed.
Did you show the video as in the first post? It is very different from screeching sound.

Visited a Honda dealer today. Shown the video and even took a service representative (not a mechanic though) on a ride where I was able to reproduce exactly the same groaning as in the video. He was able to reproduce it too when we switched places.

However, I was told that this sound is normal for all Hondas 🤦‍♂️ and otherwise brakes operate without issues. He suggested to release the brake pedal in one go instead of slowly.

Going to show it to another dealer over the weekend and, if that fails, visit an independent shop.

#26 ·
As a tech for GM for about 6 years (I have since gotten out of the business), this sounds a lot like the brakes still trying to grab as you slowly release the pedal. I can re-create this sounds in all of my vehicles. It's worse when the brakes are wet. If you come to a stop and very slowly release the brake pedal, you'll hear this creaking noise as the vehicle starts to move forward, but the brakes are still trying to grab - it's hard to describe the situation.

I can confirm that my 2010 Pilot, 2011 CTS coupe, 2009 Civic coupe, 2018 Pacifica, 2014 Fiat Abarth, 2018 C300, and 2018 Civic all make this noise when very slowly releasing the brake pedal.

#27 ·
As a tech for GM for about 6 years (I have since gotten out of the business), this sounds a lot like the brakes still trying to grab as you slowly release the pedal. I can re-create this sounds in all of my vehicles. It's worse when the brakes are wet. If you come to a stop and very slowly release the brake pedal, you'll hear this creaking noise as the vehicle starts to move forward, but the brakes are still trying to grab - it's hard to describe the situation.

I can confirm that my 2010 Pilot, 2011 CTS coupe, 2009 Civic coupe, 2018 Pacifica, 2014 Fiat Abarth, 2018 C300, and 2018 Civic all make this noise when very slowly releasing the brake pedal.
Yep.. it is basically the brake system responding to the drivers light footing the brake, and with very slow release like this, very often the brake pads will bind to the rotor just a bit because the driver still has some pressure applied to the brake pedal. It causes brake stuttering, and that can in turn resonate up into the vehicle as well, thus amplifying the noise some.

If there is any warp to the rotor at all, even very minor and still well within spec, it can exaggerate this effect. And hybrid drive probably is a factor in this as well as it may be applying more modest force to move the vehicle than say in a CRV with a 1.5T engine which can and will move at 5+ miles per hour on it's own on idle on flat ground with the brakes not applied.

I'm guessing this is getting reported more on hybrid CRVs because the vehicle with it's different drive modes, and with regen braking in play, owners are using the brakes differently than on an ICE version.

#28 ·
Hello to all having this Noise when slowly releasing the brake.
It is now all most 3 years I have this problem since new.
The Honda Dealer always said this is not a problem.
Now I got it fixed.
How ?
I told the Honda dealer (Garage doing the Services) what they should do while they are changing the Wheels with Winter Tires.
Remove the Brake Pads from the forward Brakes clean them and apply same cooper grease on the piston side (not the Disk side) and reinstall them.
Now the noise has gone.
Hopefully this works also on your car.

#31 ·
FWIW, I had a rotation done at an independent shop recently and asked the mechanic to check the brakes, specifically mentioned lubrication. Don't know what they did (the invoice only says that the brakes passed visual inspection), but noise is not as severe now.

Yet it's not quiet. I'll ask to take the brakes off an check them thoroughly next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.