Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a 2019 CRV LX a month or so ago. I have not contacted the Dealer yet about this but thought I would run it by everybody here to see if anybody else have had this problem with their CRV.
Occasionally when we start the vehicle the front and back windshield wipers will activate for a few swipes :confused2:sometimes 4 or 5 swipes then they stop on their own. It's got me worried that there may be an electrical problem with the car.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
It's not a bad guess that you have a bad wiper switch. I'd make it a habit of taking a short video until you can capture it, as you *know* it will never happen on the lot.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats a good idea, It will be a hassle but I will do it.
There is something else that my wife told me and at the time I brushed it off thinking she accidentally touched the stalk. She was in the car when the wipers came on and told me the other day she started the car and the blinker activated. This is crazy.
I also just called the Dealership and they haven't heard of this before.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,016 Posts
HAUNTED.

Do you have the wiper where water hits they activate on by themselves on a touring? I get that bad Boy to the dealer and see if software fixes it.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,905 Posts
I'm assuming this is a Touring (which has the rain sensor driving the intermitant wipers) and that the owner has the wipers switch set to auto. Personally, I never leave the wipers on auto.. because I will forget about them and when you go through a car wash you can quickly have a war between the washers and the wiper blades (and the blades WILL lose).

There could be two things at play here... which might be completely normal: 1) the sequence in which all the electronic systems come on line. 2) the ambient light the rain sensor sees on startup might confuse it until all systems are powered up (ie: the light sensor on the dash) that it compares/talks with. I have seen my wife's Accord sometimes do a wiper cycle in our dark garage when she turns on her car, and I remind her to turn wipers off auto unless there is actually rain.

Since it is a new vehicle though... it is entirely possible it has a bad sensor that needs to be replaced under warranty. If it is very consistent at doing this.. then it would be easy to demonstrate to a dealer and ask them to evaluate it under warranty and make any needed repairs.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,905 Posts
I'm assuming this is a Touring (which has the rain sensor driving the intermitant wipers) and that the owner has the wipers switch set to auto. Personally, I never leave the wipers on auto.. because I will forget about them and when you go through a car wash you can quickly have a war between the washers and the wiper blades (and the blades WILL lose).

There could be two things at play here... which might be completely normal: 1) the sequence in which all the electronic systems come on line. 2) the ambient light the rain sensor sees on startup might confuse it until all systems are powered up (ie: the light sensor on the dash) that it compares/talks with. I have seen my wife's Accord sometimes do a wiper cycle in our dark garage when she turns on her car, and I remind her to turn wipers off auto unless there is actually rain.
OK.. scratch that.. I see the OP says it is an LX. My bad reading. :)

if it does it consistently... take it to the dealer and show them and have them evaluate it because the LX has only very basic wiper controls... so there are not any advanced wiper controls at play here.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,776 Posts
Whatever it turns out to be will be pretty simple. My father in law liked my first Honda so much he bought an identical one. He had a weird thing going on with his wipers. Dealer talked it through with Honda and replaced the wiper switch/stalk.
Not rocket science.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
We bought a 2019 CRV LX a month or so ago. I have not contacted the Dealer yet about this but thought I would run it by everybody here to see if anybody else have had this problem with their CRV.
Occasionally when we start the vehicle the front and back windshield wipers will activate for a few swipes :confused2:sometimes 4 or 5 swipes then they stop on their own. It's got me worried that there may be an electrical problem with the car.
Thoughts?
If you have the car in reverse and the wipers on, the rear will automatically wipe (since you are backing up. Even with them off

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whatever it turns out to be will be pretty simple. My father in law liked my first Honda so much he bought an identical one. He had a weird thing going on with his wipers. Dealer talked it through with Honda and replaced the wiper switch/stalk.
Not rocket science.
Ok I hate to post this? but to sum it up I was causing the problem. I was wiping dust off the dash and instrument panel and when doing this I would occasionally bump and activate the wiper stalk which is easy to do and this being a new Honda didn't notice. So the next time we would start the vehicle the wipers would be on?.
So the mystery is solved but we do have another problem which I will start a new thread on.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,776 Posts
We need to give you a prize for fessing up. Too many people would go silent...

Reactions: williamsji

·
Registered
415 Posts
LOL, your wife or you would have noticed that the wiper stalk is in the on position, then turned to off after starting the car.
this happened to me occasionally, thus learned to check the stalk and all other switches after cleaning, most specially the auto headlight on. I occasionally turn if off when I'm cleaning so not to drain the battery since i keep closing/opening doors... bad ideal driving at night with just the daylight driving lights...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts