Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my EX-L NAV just under a month now and I see that the mpg reading on the display is very optimistic. At least 5 mpg better than actual.

My display generally reads about 41 mpg this includes the current and history of trip A displays. (all the displays by Honda)
I'm actually getting about 35.3 mpg.

In the Garmin Navigation system the 'eco' displays are accurate. I guess Garmin doesn't have to fudge the numbers

Does anyone know of a way I can calibrate the Honda mpg displays to get it closer to reality?

Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've had my 2018 Touring for about a month now and find the built in estimate to be accurate as an estimate, which is what it is. Always within 1mpg, but on the high side!

This has held true for every Honda and Toyota I've had. Except when towing, they read 1-2mpg LOW. Go figure.

No idea how you're seeing 41mpg, cause thats amazing mileage. Like Hybrid sort of MPG's!

If 35mpg is reality per the pump and calculator, I would be very proud and live with the Honda estimate being off more than normal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If my display was only 1 or 2 mpg off I'd be happy but I track my own mileage and I got 35.3 mpg and yes the A and B trip readings are both over 41 mpg. (I know I won't get that good) I wish the display was more accurate.

Now I live out in the country so all my driving is almost all straight away with the cruise on.
And I don't drive very fast so I always get real good mpg.

That said the Garmin stuff is very accurate just the Honda stuff is off.

Now for something completely different.
When I turn on the HondaLink thing the infotainment display locks up and I can't even re-boot it by holding the volume control down. I have to shut it off for a couple of minutes so it will re-boot when I turn it on.
fyi - Leave the 'Memory Refresh' setting ON under the 'System' setting menu so the system will re-boot when you turn the car on.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,167 Posts
The Garmin system updates constantly...it changes it 'fudge factor' every time you get gas, to reflect any changes.

All the other cars with an MPG display that I own, are usually optimistic. 10% - 15% most tankfuls.

·
Registered
350 Posts
If my display was only 1 or 2 mpg off I'd be happy but I track my own mileage and I got 35.3 mpg and yes the A and B trip readings are both over 41 mpg. (I know I won't get that good) I wish the display was more accurate.

Now I live out in the country so all my driving is almost all straight away with the cruise on.
And I don't drive very fast so I always get real good mpg.

That said the Garmin stuff is very accurate just the Honda stuff is off.

Now for something completely different.
When I turn on the HondaLink thing the infotainment display locks up and I can't even re-boot it by holding the volume control down. I have to shut it off for a couple of minutes so it will re-boot when I turn it on.
fyi - Leave the 'Memory Refresh' setting ON under the 'System' setting menu so the system will re-boot when you turn the car on.
I feel the display locking up may be related to inaccurate readings, yet I have no idea how or why they would be related. (makes no sense) But I would simply be suspect that you have that occurring and readings are so far off at the same time. Worth a dealer visit IMO, might need a firmware update or re-flash.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe the android display and the gauges in the dash are two different systems. I don't think they interact.
The display locking seems to dependent on what phone is used. I have a tracfone which may be causing the problem.
However I doubt that I'll miss using Hondalink very much.
But I am curious on how Honda handles updates to android and the Garmin system. I hope it is done over wifi and doesn't require a dealer visit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts