Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the same vibration problem as that posted by pbesong & gene somers on my 2011 CR-V SE. The vibration would occur at 40 mph & continue if in cruise control. The vibration would stop when I LIGHTLY touched the brake or the gas pedal. This would stop the vibration for the moment, even if I touched the brake or gas pedal so lightly that the vehicle would remain in cruise control. I went through all the traditional steps: went to my local dealer, changed the tires, went to my own local trusted mechanic to no avail. I think they began to think I was imaging this problem. Then I found this web page where I read gene somers' comments on how he solved the problem. His vehicles had the exact same symptoms as my CR-V had. His advice: "First check the cv axels and make sure they are not worn but tight. If [they] are tight I cured the problem by replacing the fluid in the differentials and flushing the transmission." This solved the problem on his 2 Hondas. I had my mechanic replace the differential fluids, transmission fluid, and the right axel. He agreed to do this after I showed him gene's post, but my mechanic was skeptical that this would solve the problem. IT WORKED! Problem solved. Many thanks to gene somers for the great advice!

P.S.: I had previously only had the transmission fluid changed, and this was not enough to solve the problem. The problem stopped only after I had the differential fluids changed and the right axel replaced.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,879 Posts
Awesome! I'm glad everything worked out for you. How many miles did you have on it when you started to notice the problem?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Currently have the same vibration issue on our 2005 CRV. Starts around 50mph and only gets worse the faster I go. The vibration only started after we bought brand new tires. Tires are balanced, and steering is aligned. Recently flushed the transmission fluid, rear diff fluid and brake fluid. Didn't solve the problem. Tried putting the car in neutral going about 60mph and the vibration continued. Seems to be coming from the drivers rear tire. Could it be a suspension component or tie rod? Just before we replaced the tires the drivers rear tire was very loud at speeds above 50mph. Hoping to have an answer when we take the car in next week.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Currently have the same vibration issue on our 2005 CRV. Starts around 50mph and only gets worse the faster I go. The vibration only started after we bought brand new tires. Tires are balanced, and steering is aligned. Recently flushed the transmission fluid, rear diff fluid and brake fluid. Didn't solve the problem. Tried putting the car in neutral going about 60mph and the vibration continued. Seems to be coming from the drivers rear tire. Could it be a suspension component or tie rod? Just before we replaced the tires the drivers rear tire was very loud at speeds above 50mph. Hoping to have an answer when we take the car in next week.
Do you have a set of winter tires? If not, try installing the spare where you think the issue of the vibration is coming from see what happens. Or install another tire from another side of the vehicle that is fine. Have you checked the bearing on that side. By lifting the vehicle & spinning it? After driving around feel the heat from that part of the vehicle does it feel hotter from the rest of the tires? You might have a brake or bearing issue. Let me know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
otto888man, thanks for the tip to try driving with the spare. Definitely helped. Seems that the new tires might be defective since the vibration was significantly reduced when driving with the spare. I had high hopes for the Continental True Contact tires, but we will probably exchange them for a different set.

I still think that there's something going on with the rear drivers side. Before getting new tires, there used to be a very annoying and loud wah wah sound. I can still hear it with the new tires, but its not very loud. Could this still be the wheel bearing? Didn't seem to have any play in the wheel and all the tires felt similar in temperature.

Probably not the right thread for this, but do you have any tire recommendations? I liked the standard Yokohamas we had on it before, but we're looking for something with a longer treadlife. Currently looking at Pirelli P4 Four Seasons, Goodyear Assurance Tripletred All-Season, or Yokohama Avid Ascend tires.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Have you tried manually spinning the affected side? Listen to the sound. Have you checked the brakes on that side it could be dragging. Continental tyres are not the best when it comes to thread life but they grip well. The Pirellis have good thread life. Have you tried Bridgestone? I know that they have good life & grip. I know Good Year triple thread does not have a good thread life as I have a fried who has a set of those & they did not last. Sometimes the bearing will make that wah wah sound but no play in them. Let me know.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hello all,

Guys, at the end, I have weeks reading and looking for information about the issue.

My 2003, 260k miles CR-V presents a insanely shaking in the front end when the speed is between 40-60 mph and intensifies when higher torque is applied.

After reading and consulting I believe this might the torque converter clutch assembly goes faulty and a mechanical disengage is intermittent.

Credits to: https://www.transmissionrepaircostguide.com/torque-converter/

The thing here is that we are talking about removing the transmission and I consider myself a respectful hobby mechanic not to mess with it, but I'm crazy to try it.

Any insight guys? have any of you tried to replace the torque converter? aside from removing the lower frame, what surprises could I expect?

Other question, does it sound possible that this is the cause? have you guys experience it before?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have this exact same problem, I'm waiting for the spring temperatures, and then I am going to change my automatic transmission fluid, if that doesn't work, then I will try the other things that you have mentioned thank you I've ben trying to fix this problem for five years now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same vibration problem as that posted by pbesong & gene somers on my 2011 CR-V SE. The vibration would occur at 40 mph & continue if in cruise control. The vibration would stop when I LIGHTLY touched the brake or the gas pedal. This would stop the vibration for the moment, even if I touched the brake or gas pedal so lightly that the vehicle would remain in cruise control. I went through all the traditional steps: went to my local dealer, changed the tires, went to my own local trusted mechanic to no avail. I think they began to think I was imaging this problem. Then I found this web page where I read gene somers' comments on how he solved the problem. His vehicles had the exact same symptoms as my CR-V had. His advice: "First check the cv axels and make sure they are not worn but tight. If [they] are tight I cured the problem by replacing the fluid in the differentials and flushing the transmission." This solved the problem on his 2 Hondas. I had my mechanic replace the differential fluids, transmission fluid, and the right axel. He agreed to do this after I showed him gene's post, but my mechanic was skeptical that this would solve the problem. IT WORKED! Problem solved. Many thanks to gene somers for the great advice!

P.S.: I had previously only had the transmission fluid changed, and this was not enough to solve the problem. The problem stopped only after I had the differential fluids changed and the right axel replaced.
I have this problem too is it still fixed ? reply to [email protected]

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a 2011 CRV exl AWD from a dealer 112k on it full carfax report aweek ago. As my wifewasdriving it home she felt a vibration but then went away. Stop and go short driving no issues, but if you drive for about 15 minutes of continuous driving it happens from about 40mph and up. Brought it back to dealer they have it for 2 days and they are telling me it a rear caliper sticking. After reading Genes post I believe it has to do with rear differential fluid needs to be changed transmission has been serviced. Picking car up today hope its fixed otherwise going to have to get my money back. Dont want this going on past my 6 month 6000 mile warranty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts